Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-30 and LightRoom 5?

I have a K-30 arriving in 2 days, and like to get a head start with it, so I can have some fun this weekend with the new toy

Does anyone have any tips/suggestions for processing K-30 raws in LR5?

Do you have presets in the Develop module? Any quick and dirty adustments that you would universally apply to all raws coming out of the K-30?

Thanks much!

05-28-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have a K30, but the first thing I do with my k5 is switch the color profile (under camera calibration) to "embedded" instead of "Adobe Standard," unless I used my XRite to create a custom profile. I bought Pentax in large part because I like the way it renders colors, and Lightroom doesn't seem to grasp that.

If the photo is really over saturated in the red channel, which seems to happen a lot more with my K5 than it did with my Nikon, I reduce the red primary saturation in the same area a bit.

Other than that, if it's a lens there's a correction profile for, I apply that. Anything else is case-by-case, but sometimes I do some bulk stuff at first load

One setting I often use in bulk before fine-tuning as needed is -60 highlights + 60 shadows +20 whites -20 blacks, with a slight increase or reduction in saturation and vibrancy if it feels good. But that's just me, and some people probably don't like that look.
05-28-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks narual, that's good to know.

I do have a Dell IPS monitor, which I used X-rite to calibrate and created a custom profile.

Typically with my former Olympus m43 camera, I set Camera Calibration to either Portrait or Vivid, Lens Correction checked for Profile Correction and Chromatic Aberration upon bulk import.
05-31-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Just did a quick shoot of my girls at the park. I shoot in RAW+. When imported into LR5, the only two options available under Camera Calibration are (1) Embedded and (2) Standard.

What happened to all other options? Such as Portrait, Natural, Vivid, etc. Things I used to see my with Olympus m43 camera.

05-31-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You could likely add the Rawstudio K-30 profile, it works fine in CS6/ACR and I find it more accurate than Adobe's efforts.
rawstudio - Revision 4429: /trunk/profiles
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/237004-k-30-camera-profile-acr.html
05-31-2014, 11:21 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the link, but I am not sure. Do I import the Rawstudio K-30 profile into LR5, and then LR5 would detect the camera profile? And how would I import the profile?

I guess, what I want to do is be able to select different Camera Calibration settings in LR5 with my DNG Raw files (such as Vivid, Natural, Portrait, etc).

Do I need to change a certain settings in the camera for this?

Last edited by haviet; 05-31-2014 at 11:27 AM.
06-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I can't say what you have to do exactly with the Rawstudio profile as 1) I don't use LR and 2) Adobe do tend to change file locations somewhat. Basically, copy the RS profile into whatever Adobe folder or subfolder that has other .dcp files in it until LR picks it up. In ACR the Rawstudio profile appears as a new option in 'Camera Profile'.

I know what you mean about the Vivid/Natural etc. options being missing, I could be wrong but I think you would have to have a camera that used the PEF raw format and use Pentax RAW conversion software to stand a chance of getting that. DNG is a 'universal' Adobe file format so doesn't cater for duplicating in-camera tweaks.

06-01-2014, 06:22 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by haviet Quote
Thanks for the link, but I am not sure. Do I import the Rawstudio K-30 profile into LR5, and then LR5 would detect the camera profile? And how would I import the profile?

I guess, what I want to do is be able to select different Camera Calibration settings in LR5 with my DNG Raw files (such as Vivid, Natural, Portrait, etc).

Do I need to change a certain settings in the camera for this?
You won't get the various shooting modes like vivd, natural, bright, etc. unless you use the Silkypix software included with your camera. For Lightroom. You can have AdobeRGB and Embedded, and a couple others available for download (such as Rawstudio and K-30 profiles linked above). Here is the procedure:
I'm on Window 7 and my extra camera profiles are in: C: Program Data/Adobe/Camera Raw/Camera Profiles/ I create a new folder for the new camera profiles and put them in there.
You may need to then restart LR for them to show up.
Program Data is a hidden folder, so if you don't see it right away, you will need to set your folder view to be able to view hidden folders.