Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #46
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hey guys, how do I check the battery level on the camera? I think I looked at every settings on this camera, but I did not see anything to display battery status.

06-06-2014, 04:42 PM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

The top right corner of the LCD screen shows a battery icon which changes shape and colour as the battery is depleted. See P.47 of the manual for more info.
06-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #48
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I'll look at the top corner.
06-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by haviet Quote
Custom Image?

What does everyone use? I just started using Natural, but this setting my my RAW images a little muted. I am thinking I should set it to Portrait since I mainly shoot kids and family.

I just wish LR5 allows me to play more with these settings in Camera Calibration, but they're not available.
Use the P mode........ Gives you better options

06-10-2014, 07:39 PM   #50
Forum Member

Original Poster
I usually shoot in A mode. I thought that would give me more options on exposure than P mode?
06-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I usually shoot in A mode. I thought that would give me more options on exposure than P mode?
Love the P mode where I get to choose lighting and exposure of the situation. Especially if you use a external flash
06-11-2014, 06:03 AM   #52
Forum Member

Original Poster
How to shoot moving subjects?

I tried to take some pics of my kids riding their bikes over the weekened, and sadly I didn't get as many keepers as I had hope for.

Any tips on shooting kids on bikes, or any moving subjects for that matter?

What I did was I focused on the kid's face, and after I got the focus locked, then I move the camera in the same direction as the kid was moving before I pushed down on the shutter. Is this the proper way?

Thanks

06-11-2014, 09:59 AM - 2 Likes   #53
Veteran Member

What I did was I focused on the kid's face, and after I got the focus locked, then I move the camera in the same direction as the kid was moving before I pushed down on the shutter. Is this the proper way?
If you do it that way there is a good chance of getting out of focus shots if the subject was moving either towards or away from you.

Depth of field (DoF) is your friend here and you need to shoot with a fairly high f-stop number in order to get a larger DoF. Pre-focussing on an object about the same distance away is also a good idea so that you can take the shot when the subject is in the focused area. This also means that you have to disable (either temporarily or permanently) the half-press auto-focus feature on the shutter button otherwise the camera will try to re-focus when you press the shutter.

You could also set the camera to AF-C so that it constantly adjusts the focus as the subject moves but you need the half-press auto-focus to be ON in this case.

The technical term for moving the camera in the same direction as the subject is 'panning' and it takes a lot of practice to get it right. You have to marry the movement of your hands to the movement of the subject. A higher shutter speed will also help to freeze the action. A good way to practice panning is to go to a local park/playground and photograph your kids (unfortunately in this day and age people get upset about photographers photographing other people's kids in playgrounds) on the swings first and then on a roundabout/carousel. The swings will constrain the movement to a single plane so that you can pre-focus and then practice panning while shooting from the side, the roundabout/carousel adds an extra dimension of difficulty as the subject will move towards you and away from you as you pan. Again a large DoF and a high shutter speed are your friends here.

Bear in mind too that the combination of a high f-stop number and a high shutter speed will need a LOT of light or alternatively a higher ISO number (which can introduce 'noise' into the shots).

Practice is the key and you will get better at it, the trick is to start with easier situations and build to the more complex ones.
06-16-2014, 03:09 AM   #54
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
How do you update the K30 please?
06-16-2014, 12:34 PM   #55
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AuraTodd Quote
How do you update the K30 please?

Download firmware and follow the instructions carefully. It took me only a few minutes to get it done, but I did read the instructions a few times before hand to make sure I am familiar with the process

Latest K-30 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
06-17-2014, 04:59 AM   #56
Forum Member

I'm not very technically minded r they easy to follow?
06-17-2014, 05:30 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just follow the steps. Make sure you have a fully charged battery to begin with.
06-19-2014, 07:00 PM   #58
Forum Member

Original Poster

They are extremely easy to follow.

If it make you any more comfortable, read the instructions a few times before you start.