Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2014, 07:27 PM   #1

K-30 - Blurry Sides

Hello all!

I have a problem with my K-30 photos. I noticed that for some of my landscape images, the left/right side would be slightly blurry while the center remains in focus. The photos below are what I have taken that have this issue.

Name:  IMG 014.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  215.6 KB

Name:  IMG 044.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  202.6 KB

Name:  IMG 043.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  227.0 KB

I am using a clean 18-55mm lens, set the aperture at least f/8, the auto active area is 5 AF Points, the Contrast AF is Spot, and have auto focus enabled. Any clue on how to resolve this issue? Thank you!

05-28-2014, 07:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You said at least F8- if you venture much higher, you'll be able to observe softness due to diffraction. Distortion correction may also introduce softness.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-28-2014, 07:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Seriously hard to tell from that type of photo, because it's hard to see where you focused and if it's just wind in the trees and grass. Trees move a lot more than most think, so a high shutter speed is really required for perfect sharpness.

Maybe you're rotating the camera a bit when you click the shutter (i.e. too hard click!) - the centre would rotate less than the outer and so stay sharp, but the greater distance moved on the edge of the photo would induce blur at the edges.
05-28-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LPrime Quote
Hello all!

I have a problem with my K-30 photos. I noticed that for some of my landscape images, the left/right side would be slightly blurry while the center remains in focus. The photos below are what I have taken that have this issue.

Attachment 224161

Attachment 224163

Attachment 224164

I am using a clean 18-55mm lens, set the aperture at least f/8, the auto active area is 5 AF Points, the Contrast AF is Spot, and have auto focus enabled. Any clue on how to resolve this issue? Thank you!
That may just be a natural characteristic of that lens. If you check this site: Pentax SMC DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR - Lab Test / Review - Analysis and scroll down to the MTF resolution charts, you will see that the corner and edge sharpness never ever really approaches the sharpness at the center, no matter the focal length and aperture.

Better lenses will have more even resolution across the frame, but they are more expensive. A cheap one that has good sharpness throughout is the DA 35 f2.4.

This is why I sometimes shoot a landscape scene with the intention of cropping out the edges/corners.

05-29-2014, 09:44 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you for the reply guys. It's kind of strange because on my K-X, it almost does not have this type of issue.

In response to Adam, that may be the case, but I checked out some of my other landscape images that are set on various f stops (usually from f/5-f/16) but I still get the blurry sides on some photos.

In response to calsan, the photos were taken at a higher shutter speed, so it doesn't have the motion blur, rather the blur appears to be gaussian.

In response to EarlVonTopia, that may be the case as well, but I have the same lens for my K-X and it never seems to have the issue, just on my K-30.

Perhaps there could be certain settings that I am not aware of that would allow me to capture entire landscape scenes more sharply.

The 2 cropped images below are in one same picture. Top is on the center of the image and the bottom is on the right. Taken at f/8, 1/500 shutter speed, ISO 200, and focal length is 23.

Name:  IMG 044.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  247.0 KB

Name:  IMG 044-2.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  173.0 KB
05-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #6

Original Poster
I think I might have solved the issue.

I shot some landscape photos today with the focal length at 18mm and I noticed that when I use autofocus, it doesn't always go to infinity focus, which results in the issue when the left/right side becomes blurrier than the center of the image. So when I manually adjust the focus to infinity, every part of an image I take seems to be clearer than before, including the right/left side.

From now on, I'll keep in mind about infinity focus when I decide to take clear landscape shots.
05-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Try altering the K-30 micro focus adjustment, I've found adjusting for best infinity sharpness is better than using AF charts indoors with some lenses.
05-29-2014, 11:45 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
Try altering the K-30 micro focus adjustment, I've found adjusting for best infinity sharpness is better than using AF charts indoors with some lenses.
Good idea. I'll be sure to do that.