Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2014, 01:33 PM   #1

Travel Suggestions

We are flying to NC in the next 3 weeks to my granddaughter's graduation and I'm taking my K-30 and my small assortment of lenses w/us. My question or concern is what, if anything, do I have to worry in re: to going thru security and x-rays? Do I need to remove the battery or anything? Don't want to arrive in NC and find out everything is shot. Just would like some guidance if needed in preparing for the trip.

05-29-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by macdaddy50 Quote
We are flying to NC in the next 3 weeks to my granddaughter's graduation and I'm taking my K-30 and my small assortment of lenses w/us. My question or concern is what, if anything, do I have to worry in re: to going thru security and x-rays? Do I need to remove the battery or anything? Don't want to arrive in NC and find out everything is shot. Just would like some guidance if needed in preparing for the trip.
Going through security won't damage any of your equipment. It would only affect high-ISO film back in the old days.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-29-2014, 01:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by macdaddy50 Quote
Just remember to take all screwdrivers , knives and multi tools out of your camera bag

Otherwise, if it is neat and organized it should be OK.
05-29-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Just remember to take all screwdrivers , knives and multi tools out of your camera bag

Otherwise, if it is neat and organized it should be OK.
And of course, all camera equipment and electronics with you in your carry-on so it doesn't mysteriously disappear.

05-29-2014, 02:40 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Going through security won't damage any of your equipment. It would only affect high-ISO film back in the old days.
Thanks Adam and all for the quick response. I will be carrying it on for sure. I'll have to check my bag to see what, if anything, they could possible take. Again, thanks all.
05-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter

The TSA requires you to remove all cameras from your bags and place them in a separate bin to be scanned, just like you would need to do with a laptop, and with your shoes. No real problem here, I'm just mentioning this so you don't have your camera stuffed at the bottom of your carry-on bag. Maybe keep one of your smaller lenses (or a body cap) attached to the body, to get you through the routine with less fuss.
05-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
The TSA requires you to remove all cameras from your bags and place them in a separate bin to be scanned, just like you would need to do with a laptop, and with your shoes. No real problem here, I'm just mentioning this so you don't have your camera stuffed at the bottom of your carry-on bag. Maybe keep one of your smaller lenses (or a body cap) attached to the body, to get you through the routine with less fuss.
Thanks for the tip.
05-29-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

In over a half million miles of air travel all around the world and the US over the last 10 years, I have only had to take a camera out of my backpack once, and that was a rookie who was instructed otherwise. Where have you had to do this?

05-29-2014, 03:58 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
In over a half million miles of air travel all around the world and the US over the last 10 years, I have only had to take a camera out of my backpack once, and that was a rookie who was instructed otherwise. Where have you had to do this?
I just follow the standard posted instructions. There's not much listed: laptops, liquids, video/photo cameras, and shoes, and maybe portable DVD players. Usually I just carry a P&S compact, which probably looks like any other generic electronic device, so I'm sure I could probably get away with it. But It never seemed too difficult for me to even consider challenging it.

As far as international travel, one inspector in Europe somewhere actually pulled my camera out of my bag and snapped a picture, to verify it was a real working camera. That was a film camera, so that cost me one exposure frame, but I'm not too upset because he was nice about it, and I got a picture of me at security inspection. Bet I couldn't do that today.

What camera do you carry in your backpack? And do you have other electronic gear in there?
05-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
I recently (as in last month) travelled to Ecuador and Peru through Colombia. At no point did I remove my camera and lenses from my backpack, and the TSA staff didn't seem bothered by it. I did remove my laptop, though.
05-29-2014, 07:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

... What camera do you carry in your backpack? And do you have other electronic gear in there?
Up until recently, it was a K-5 plus multiple lenses, multiple batteries and memory cards, small tripod, cleaning gear and assorted accessories. Now it is an Olympus OMD-EM5 with all the rest as listed above. My backpack also carries my laptop, phone, Kindle and assorted cords and chargers. The laptop always comes out at security but everything else stays in the pack. Without actually counting from my records, I'd guess I've made in excess of a hundred departures from American airports since I made the switch to digital.
05-30-2014, 06:21 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Well you guys have had some great experiences!

Just to be clear, I don't work for the TSA, I just read the standard posted signs that are at all airports. Maybe the regulations have changed but the signs haven't been updated. In any case, I guess the OP can decide what to do for himself/herself.