Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2014, 04:01 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-30 service manual

Hi.
I currently have a K-30 that was damaged by sea water. A friend brought it to me because he didn't know what to do.
He was shooting near the sea and some water manage to get in the camera, probably from some waves that might have hit the camera on a few occasions. He was using the 18-135mm, which seems to be working fine on my other Pentax body.

Pentax wouldn't accept to repair it under warranty as the camera was 15 months old (I was very disappointed in their help...).

Anyhow, I decided to try to do what I can to repair the camera. The camera, after the incident, was "working" very, very slow and most functions would not work properly, or not at all (LCD, playback, ...). The camera was not turned on since, power has been removed too.

I put the camera body (not the lens) into distilled water for a good while (24 hours) hoping to dissolve the salt inside. However, I think the salt might have already done damage to some circuits, considering it had been there for a while before I did anything. The salt has sit there for months (I know... he should have brought it to me sooner).

Now, I would like to open up the K-30 to clean up the circuits with 99% friction alcool. However, I wouldn't want to open it blindly, and would therefore like to use a Pentax service manual, or something like that to help me out.
Anyone would know where I could get that??!
(Or anything else that could help would be appreciated).

Thank you for your help.

Karl

05-30-2014, 04:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Service manuals for any modern Pentax are hard to come by.

There is a K10D service manual available from here, FWIW. It may provide some clues about what to expect.

It's not a Pentax, but you may also find this total Nikon D600 teardown helpful. It's well illustrated and may give you some disassembly tips.
05-30-2014, 04:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you Rawr.
I had seen the K10D service manual on Rice's blog. Should have mentioned it. Thank you for the link, it's still useful. I will also have a look at the D600 teardown. It could be really helpful too.

I'm guessing some people must have done a teardown of the K-30 for a reason or another. Would really love to ear about your experience, stuff to be careful about, etc.

thanks again everyone for your help!
05-30-2014, 04:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

not sure if it was wise that you put the camera in distilled water. you shouldve put it straight into a bowl of rice to absorb moisture and left it for at least 24 hours

05-30-2014, 05:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^^ it had been done before, after the incident occurred.

About the rice thing though (because I need to let it dry now that it have sit in water for 24 hours), I'm not too confortable letting my camera with all ports and holes open (lens hole, sd door, battery door, etc.). I'm afraid some rice will get into places it shouldn't and get stock there. I don't want to fill the entire mirror box with rice!?
05-30-2014, 05:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Distilled water is the correct thing to use for the electronics but I'm not so sure the internal optics, mechanicals and any lubrication will appreciate it.

If I ever took my K-30 apart I would varnish the boards to make it even more waterproof, it's done all the time with military gear.
05-30-2014, 06:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kp0c Quote
I don't want to fill the entire mirror box with rice!?
You would normally put the rice in a sock or something. Then put it in a sealed container with the camera. Never just pour the rice all over the camera interior.
05-30-2014, 07:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Wow, that makes so much sense now that you say it that I feel completely stupid haha!
Thank you.
Once it is completely dry, I may try to charge the battery and fire up the camera. Don't really want to open it if I don't have to. However, don't really want to fry the camera by powering it up too... I think I'm gonna take the risk to try.
I'll report back.

05-31-2014, 05:19 AM   #9
Forum Member

If you do open the body I'd like some really high res images of the boards inside. It will really help with my firmware hacking.

Wonder if it would also be good to document your efforts in a 'after market' service manual.
05-31-2014, 05:54 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sure this will be an interesting enterprise but I think the prognosis is pretty grim. Seawater is a witches brew as far as electronics are concerned.
05-31-2014, 11:16 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shodan Quote
If you do open the body I'd like some really high res images of the boards inside. It will really help with my firmware hacking.

Wonder if it would also be good to document your efforts in a 'after market' service manual.
If I end up opening it up, I will take high res picture and try to keep a good record of what is going on. However, I really don't think I could handle all the small parts and stuff that there is inside such a camera, at least, according to the iFixit Nikon D600 teardown that I saw. Taking it apart is the easy part... but taking it back together, that's a whole other story.

---------- Post added 05-31-14 at 02:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I'm sure this will be an interesting enterprise but I think the prognosis is pretty grim. Seawater is a witches brew as far as electronics are concerned.
Secretly, I keep good hopes. Although the salt has been in there for a long time (several months now), my friend said that he kept trying to use it from time to time and that the camera was still powering up and somehow working (not taking pictures, but some controls and some other things were "working". I really hope that the distilled water can somehow dissolve what is left of salt. My biggest fear is corrosion... I would need to get to it and brush it with alcool... meaning taking the whole thing apart...
08-31-2014, 06:13 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A quick update from my adventure :
- The camera is still not working.
- I left it for a long time in distilled water, and it seems it created some other problem :
- I believe the LCD is officially dead
- The MF/AF switch on the left side of the mount is not working
- The shutter will not fire, although the camera clearly starts when powered up (you can hear the sensor cleaning process execute itself for instance)

I have not taking it apart and don't really want to, simply because I don't have the time to do so and because even it I could somehow manage to make it work again, there are just too many things that would still not work properly (the LCD for instance) that it would not be worth it. If I ever have more time, I should try to open it just to document how it's made, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

On another note, the 18-135mm wr lens that was also splashed (several times) with sea water is still "working". The lens focusses normally, or so I believe (I can't compare to another one because I don't have another SDM/DC lens). The pictures are sharp and the focus seems spot on (on my K5 ii).

HOWEVER, there is one little and very annoying problem with it : The lens will not (never) lock the focus in the 130-135 mm range of the zoom. The DC motor just goes back and forth without ever locking. (the 130-135mm is an estimate) At any focal length below that, the lens performs absolutely fine. I would really like to fix that, but I have no idea what could be causing that. Does any of you have an idea for me?
I tried using the quick shift option, and even if I put the camera it what appears to be the exact point of focus, if I press the autofocus button, the lens just starts to hunt again...
thank you for your help!
09-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #13
Forum Member

So much for the "water Resistance capability of the K-30. That's kind of a sad thing.
09-16-2014, 09:33 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BerndM Quote
So much for the "water Resistance capability of the K-30. That's kind of a sad thing.
But no one actually takes that advertising at face value ... right? ;-)