Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2014, 12:44 PM   #1

Pentax K-30 pictures are getting Dark

Hey Folks,

Greetings from Egypt , the country where there is NO Pentax distributors

I have got my K-30 around year and half ago, and it works really great but suddenly it began to have some issues with Exposure!!

I am getting dark pictures "almost black" all the time using my AF lenses (FA 28-200mm & DA L 18-55mm)
but when i try my MF lenses (M f/2 and Ricoh f/1.4) adjusting the aperture ring pictures come out normally bright.

So i suspect that the problem is in my Aperture motor inside the body, I have read many threads regarding the same issue, so it seems that its a common problem in the K-30

And to make sure of my assumption i used my (FA 28-200mm) twice, once using the apreture ring it worked fine ,and then adjusting the aperture from the body it became dark again.

1.So is there any solution foruch a problem?
2.What could be the reason behind that? im using my camera really wisely and i dont remember if it ever felt down or got hit

05-31-2014, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Edit:
Holy crap, I wish everyone used that size. Makes reading on a phone so much easier!

I'd agree with your diagnosis. Sometimes, electronic devices just quit - but I'd suggest resetting the camera to make sure it's not just some setting.
05-31-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have heard that dark images may happen when the lens contacts become dirty. They communicate the wrong aperture setting as the aperture lever on the lens is lowered by the camera during the picture taking process. The camera thinks the aperture is more open than it is so it closes a bit more than it should.
06-01-2014, 06:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Clean the contacts on the mount and the lenses

06-01-2014, 06:37 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
Clean the contacts on the mount and the lenses
What is the best way to clean them? is there any special kind of liquids i should consider?
06-01-2014, 07:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by islamnassar Quote
What is the best way to clean them? is there any special kind of liquids i should consider?

I would start simple and work my up the scale. Use a dry cloth and see if any grime or oil runs off. Some people have gently rubbed an eraser because it is ever so slightly mildly abrasive. You could probably use a drop of mild solvent/cleaner like lens cleaner on a clean cloth.

I only had to do this once when I was out shooting. All I had was my shirt and when I rubbed it around the contacts I left a black smudge on the fabric.
10-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #7

Were you able to overcome the issue ? I am facing the same problem with my K 500 now..How can I overcome this issue ?

10-18-2015, 09:17 PM   #8
Forum Member

I'm actually having the same issue with my Pentax K30.

As they recommended, I cleaned the lens contact points with a microfiber cloth on it.

My camera is performing once again as before.

Last edited by mellowyeahlow; 10-18-2015 at 09:24 PM.
10-20-2015, 04:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DAMN DARK IMAGES, I FIND that letting it shoot in multi exposure mode always fixes it
03-07-2016, 10:21 AM   #10

If I switch to Live view it fixes it for me
06-02-2016, 08:44 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by mellowyeahlow Quote
I'm actually having the same issue with my Pentax K30.

As they recommended, I cleaned the lens contact points with a microfiber cloth on it.

My camera is performing once again as before.
I tried that.. at the end.. I almost ended up buying K50.. But found a service shop which did the fixing for $125 USD. It ran great until last week. Again the problem looks to be returning.. occasionally getting dark images.

---------- Post added 06-02-16 at 09:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dids2 Quote
If I switch to Live view it fixes it for me
Yeah LV worked for me too.. But it couldn't continue for long since the Aperture problems continued to diminish making the LV pictures out of sorts in terms of colors, brightness and everything..By the end the pictures started looking like as if.. I have taken it with a stupid 1 MP phone camera..It surely is the issue with lens contacts.
06-02-2016, 09:11 AM   #12
Forum Member

Only way to get rid of the problem is to take rapid photos repeatedly until the aperture ring starts opening as it should. Some days it will take forever to get it started, while others it will be ready to go within 5-10 pictures. But thats the only solution I found for my K30.

I am going to wait for the K30 to die. Then I'll think about which company I should stick with. I might jump ship to Nikon/Sony. Or I might just save for a while and try to get a K1.
06-03-2016, 01:51 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree much easier to read

---------- Post added 06-03-16 at 04:53 AM ----------

Only way to get rid of the problem is to take rapid photos repeatedly until the aperture ring starts opening as it should. Some days it will take forever to get it started, while others it will be ready to go within 5-10 pictures. But thats the only solution I found for my K30.

I am going to wait for the K30 to die. Then I'll think about which company I should stick with. I might jump ship to Nikon/Sony. Or I might just save for a while and try to get a K1.
oh it will die trust me
06-03-2016, 07:07 AM   #14

Yeah.. I feel that way too... Only Worry I have is when switch the lenses.. That's when I find the problem worsening..... as you said, I think I just have to live with it or buy a lens with everything in it... But I am content with Pentax for its features at such low price.
06-03-2016, 11:57 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tosudarshana Quote
Yeah.. I feel that way too... Only Worry I have is when switch the lenses.. That's when I find the problem worsening..... as you said, I think I just have to live with it or buy a lens with everything in it... But I am content with Pentax for its features at such low price.
Dont worry the aperture motor will surely die just like it did on mine about three months later