Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2014, 12:16 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You must have big pockets for a K-01 inc lens, trenchcoat?
Oh I'm sure I'd get used to it 'eventually'. The camera is excellent, the only thing I really don't like is the card slot, it's annoyingly difficult to grip and remove, worse than the K-7.

06-01-2014, 12:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You know what seems strange to me, and I have only had a K-X or a K-30, so I have never had a top LCD, is that it feels foreign to me to have the mode dial on the left side of the camera. I used a friends K-5 and if I change modes from AV to M, I need to change the mode by looking at it to select. I like it much better to have the mode dial whiere it is close to my shutter, I even can count the number of clicks to know what mode I am in. Since the information I would want to see on an LCD is already in the view finder, I don't think it would ever be an issue to me to not have one.
06-01-2014, 02:52 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's what you grow up with. My first DSLR was the *istDS and then 5 years later the K-7. Both with the top LCD.
The K-50 is the first without it, so naturally my 'training' is to look at the top LCD.
06-01-2014, 04:11 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't miss the top LCD. To me, it's just redundant with the rear screen.

06-01-2014, 04:16 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeh, but see post #1 (reason to buy K-50). Rear LCD is utterly useless in bright Aussie sun, which is why K-01 was no good.
06-01-2014, 05:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I don't miss the top LCD. To me, it's just redundant with the rear screen.
This...

I went from K30 to K3 so it was something I never had and now I have one I don't use it. The vast majority of the time I'm changing my settings I am looking through the viewfinder. The rest of the time the screen on the back is more than sufficient.

I can definitely see how it is useful though to many people.
06-02-2014, 06:05 AM   #22
Forum Member

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm new to DSLR Photography), but isn't a top LCD screen only found in professional level DSLR's? My understanding is that the K-50 is a upper mid level entry DSLR.

06-02-2014, 06:57 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You will for the most part see top LCD's in Semi-Pro cams like the K-5 on up. I don't think I have ever seen an entry/mid level DSLR with an LCD but I could be mistaken.
06-02-2014, 11:52 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Man I here you.. Having owned an OLY E3 prior to my switching to Pentax when I bought my K50 I loved it and thought I wouldn't miss the top lcd but I did miss having the convenience of the top LCD plus I marveled at the button set up of the K5 lls so one day I was looking on B&H I found one with less than 900 activations for $540.00 I couldn't resist and bought it. Do I ever love this camera it is the best dslr I personally have ever used. Soon I will decide to keep my K50 or sell it.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 06-02-2014 at 12:02 PM.
06-02-2014, 02:21 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
You will for the most part see top LCD's in Semi-Pro cams like the K-5 on up. I don't think I have ever seen an entry/mid level DSLR with an LCD but I could be mistaken.
The K200D was the last lower-tier camera (of any brand) to have one.
06-03-2014, 07:46 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Yeh, but see post #1 (reason to buy K-50). Rear LCD is utterly useless in bright Aussie sun, which is why K-01 was no good.
Funny, I had a K20D and thought I would miss the top LCD, but didn't at all. Whenever I did night shooting the top LCD was useless. It had a little light that was a hassle and inadequate. Now I can see everything on the back while composing with live view.

It's all about personal preferences or what you're willing to adapt to. I would have a hard time living without the level in the K-30, something I didn't know existed before getting it. You should probably get the K-5II.
06-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I'd miss the heck out of it. Never would give one up. I use the top LCD 90%of the time. I often have the main LCD simply turned off and I rarely review shots until later. Once upon a time this wasn't true, but returning to film has instilled some nice habits in me and now my battery lasts probably twice as long.

---------- Post added 06-03-14 at 07:51 PM ----------

The only time I use live view is when doing critical test shots with focus peaking, which is pretty much never, cuz I hate test shots, and my finder screen is more accurate.
06-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My friend recently bought a K-50. About a week ago we did a day trip photo safari and she took a turn with my K-3. The first thing she said was that it was heavy. Then she pointed to the top LCD and said, "I LIKE THAT!". Mind you, the K-50 is the only dSLR camera she has ever owned.

To lend a little balance, I almost bought a K-50 over the K-3 despite the missing top LCD.

Steve

---------- Post added 06-03-14 at 08:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I often have the main LCD simply turned off
Same here...
06-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use the K-3, K-01 and Q7 about equally, each as the mood, need or situation strikes me. While it takes a minute or two for my muscle memory to adjust to whichever camera I'm using once that's through I use what they have and don't miss what they don't have. The top LCD is great to have, especially in the sun, because the viewfinder is busy enough with composition and focusing. But I get by just fine with the rear LCD only.

And then there's the infrequent outing with the LX or SV or KX . . . . . . or XA . . . . . . . but for me they're all really just adult toys.

Like going from a 6', 3-piece 6 wt., cigar grip 1965 bamboo fly rod to an 8', 2-piece, 4 wt. reverse-half-wells grip 1998 graphite.

What's different for me from many of you is I don't have to make money with any of them; I don't really care if I miss a shot or a cast - it's all about getting out and making good casts, not catching fish.
06-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Whenever I did night shooting the top LCD was useless. It had a little light that was a hassle and inadequate.
Interesting, the K-7's top LCD green illumination is perfect by day, better at night.
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I would have a hard time living without the level in the K-30, something I didn't know existed before getting it. You should probably get the K-5II.
The K-50 has electronic level, don't use it.
Yeah, I'd like the K-5II - but here in Australia it's almost the same price as the K-3.