Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2014, 08:49 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Like going from a 6', 3-piece 6 wt., cigar grip 1965 bamboo fly rod to an 8', 2-piece, 4 wt. reverse-half-wells grip 1998 graphite.
This means little to me specifically but I get and love the analogy nonetheless. (Was just talking with a buddy of mine about him finally teachin me to really fish)

06-04-2014, 05:20 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Interesting, the K-7's top LCD green illumination is perfect by day, better at night.
I used the top LCD all the time on my k100d, it had no illumination and it was useless at night without a flashlight. I was dismayed when they dropped the top LCD from the 'entry-level' cameras as it made them much less appealing to me. Hence I had to 'settle' for a k5iis a few months ago when I finally upgraded and the illuminated LCD is just awesome at night.
06-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #33

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Lack of a top LCD on lower-tier Pentax cameras is 50% of the reason why I haven't yet upgraded from my K200D yet. The other 50% is the lack of a grip.

Most people say that they quickly get used to not having one though.
YES! Still owning Canon 30D and 50D I like the larger camera size and top LCD. I would have bought a K5II for those reasons except the K50 was a great deal. I may think about gettin the k5II in the near future and sell the K50. And, recently bought a used Sigma 70-200 f2.8 Macro II from the Sigma outlet the lens is quite bigger than than the camera...!

[/URL]" target="_blank">
06-06-2014, 06:01 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I too sometimes miss the top LCD on my K500 like I have on my K100D especially when I'm shooting off a tripod or holding the camera low to the ground and I want to do a quick check or change a setting without having to move my camera to look in the viewfinder or read the back display

06-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I don't have a K-5 series camera, but wish my K-30 build was more like that camera. I also would rather have a good battery like on the K-01 (and the others that take that battery). However, I like several items that are clearly better on the K-30/50, much preferring rear LCD info to top view, better live view, minimally invasive AA (no need to choose between II and IIs - the K-3 is best of both), and the dual level function is hugely helpful when I remember to pay attention to it. I also suspect that the K-30/50 will be better with pTTL, but I rely more on other flash methods due to their greater consistency.
07-17-2014, 12:08 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't care for a top lcd, but I wish Pentax would have crammed a battery indicator in the viewfinder since I always have my rear screen set to be turned off and the only time I use it is to review pics or go through a bunch of menus to turn it back on to check the stupid battery level lol
07-19-2014, 09:11 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I'm curious now though, why those who buy the flagship model don't actually use the top LCD? I mean, it's insanely useful!?
No more useful than looking at the rear LCD screen?

07-19-2014, 09:20 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, that's an opinion I obviously can't agree with
07-19-2014, 10:11 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ALL of the DSLR cameras I have bought in the past 10 years have had top LCD data screens - I don't think I would live without it, they are too useful. The funny thing is that I don't notice them until I am forced to go without it.
07-20-2014, 05:16 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't miss it much

I went from the K10d to the K30.
I never missed the top LCD because I don't shoot from a tripod much, and I usually check the setting though the viewfinder or back LCD.
For me it was a reasonable compromise, and I don't miss it much at all.
07-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thing is, this thread is asking about who does miss it, not who doesn't
07-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first camera which offered ANY information in the VF was a used ME Super in late 1981 - but even this one needed a look from above for setting aperture. And prior to this I had already used even simpler models for 20+ years.

So my workflow had been fixed to first have a look through a rectangle formed by my thumb and one finger to get a rough impression what the picture may look like; then to make the settings on lens and body; and finally to fine adjust the framing with the VF. I should also mention, that, during the seventies, for landscape and architecture I preferred to use the waist level finder over the pentaprism one (using an old east german Exakta with exchangeable viewfinder systems).

I took that workflow over to the digital age, using the VF for composition only.

And, with the K200D, I do not see any need for a second wheel. P mode and adjust combinations with program shift. And in M, I think adjusting both with one wheel is just as fast.
Of course, here it helps that with the K200D you will avoid to move ISO away from 100.

EDIT:
If there are still any doubts about my position: I don't think I will ever invest in a camera without a top display.

Last edited by RKKS08; 07-20-2014 at 02:15 PM.
07-21-2014, 04:29 AM   #43
Forum Member

I have been using k200d for more than 6 years and recently upgraded to a k30. I really miss the top LCD as I always turn off the rear screen of k30.
If I do not need the better iso performance of k30, I would rather carry my k200d for its better jpeg engine.

Last edited by kswong_00; 07-21-2014 at 04:38 AM.
07-30-2014, 01:38 PM   #44

I'm missing the top LCD big time. My last few Pentax's have been PZ-1p, MZ-S, *ist DL2 and a K10 all of which have had the top LCD feature.
A recent shoot out in the sunshine we've been been enjoying here in the UK completely made the rear screen unusable due to glare.

I also miss the grip. The ability to carry two batteries has been a boon for me especially with my K10d but on the K30, I miss this. I took my K30 this evening with a spare set of Eneloops but forgot the funky adapter so when my lithium battery crapped out on me I had to to head home. My fault for no bringing the adapter I but with a grip it would not have been a problem.

I think I would have been better with a K-5. The real saving grace with the K-30 is the focus peaking which really makes M42 lenses a real option in choosing lenses.
07-30-2014, 01:57 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Easier to carry a spare battery in my pocket for me. Grips don't offer me any shooting advantage.
Strangely, I seem to be the only person who finds (Pentax) focus peaking useless