Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Anyone else miss it....?

The top LCD?

I recently bought the K-50 as prices were right and I wanted the K-01 IQ in an SLR body as the K-01 is rubbish out in the Australian sun..
Coming from a K-7 I knew that I might miss the top LCD, but man - I actually miss it a lot!
I'm almost to the point of considering selling off the K-50 (at a loss) and buying a K-5II.
Am I mad, or have others had a similar experience?

05-31-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Some people like it a great deal.

I'm not one of them. I almost never use it, I'd shade the eyepiece / etc. instead of looking at the top LCD.

I think you're perfectly sane though... although it's not in my workflow, it could be easily valuable in yours. One particular use case, to me, would be a not-quite-eye-level tripod setup that you know has been focused correctly.
05-31-2014, 07:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I suppose it's what you get used to but I've never had a camera with a top LCD so I don't miss it on my K-30 and I still seem able to shoot OK.

But then again my first film SLR didn't even have a hot shoe and it's most advanced electronic feature was a moving needle light meter!
05-31-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Never even look at the one on my K3.

05-31-2014, 07:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I think I'd miss focus peaking more. I shoot a lot of MF glass, though.
05-31-2014, 07:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was afraid that I would miss it coming from an istDL to the k-30. I don't . I have found that I don't look at it on my DL any longer other than to check battery level. But that is me .
05-31-2014, 07:37 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Its nice to have, but I'd much rather not have a top lcd than be stuck without 2 control wheels

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-31-2014, 07:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow! I must be a bit weird then.. I've come to realise that I use the top LCD for 90% of my shot settings, only using the OVF settings for confirmation or tweaking if needed.
Was thinking I might get over it after using my mirrorless cams for a while now, but nope - when it comes to a DSLR I feel lost without the top LCD.
I'm no fan of focus peaking actually, I don't find it that accurate, besides FP means using the rear LCD which is useless in bright sun and the whole point of the K-50 purchase in the first place.. So yeh, I'm definitely odd

---------- Post added 06-01-14 at 12:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Its nice to have, but I'd much rather not have a top lcd than be stuck without 2 control wheels
What do you mean!?
05-31-2014, 09:02 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I use the top LCD all the time for settings - viewfinder pretty much only for composition.
05-31-2014, 09:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I use the top LCD all the time for settings - viewfinder pretty much only for composition.
Exactly !
05-31-2014, 10:17 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
What do you mean!?
Previous entry-level Pentax cameras, as well as Canon and Nikon entry-level cameras, only have 1 control wheel. So it's already nice that Pentax is putting all these advanced features into theirs.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-31-2014, 10:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Right - but I'm talking about Pentax now rather than yesteryear (or Canikons)
Besides, I bought the K-50 with the full knowledge of it's attributes, controls and layout. I just thought I'd get over it, but it seems I ain't..
I'm curious now though, why those who buy the flagship model don't actually use the top LCD? I mean, it's insanely useful!?
05-31-2014, 11:31 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Lack of a top LCD on lower-tier Pentax cameras is 50% of the reason why I haven't yet upgraded from my K200D yet. The other 50% is the lack of a grip.

Most people say that they quickly get used to not having one though.
05-31-2014, 11:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Battery grip isn't a biggie for me personally, I'd rather have a spare battery in my pocket than the bulk of a grip screwed to the base of my camera.
05-31-2014, 11:55 PM   #15

I have a K-5 and a k-01. I use the top LCD alot when shooting with the K-5. I obviously don't use it on K-01. But I carry the K-01 more due to its size (can easily keep it in my briefcase or pocket. With it I get used to evf on the back and reading settings there. As a result, I am frequently looking there when I go on a shoot with the K-5. However, too save battery power, I keep it off on the k-5 So it takes a few shoots to get comfortable with the top LCD again. Then when I do my film camera, I have neither.

My point to all that is that if you keep with it, i think you will get comfortable without the top LCD. That is if you otherwise like the camera.