Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2014, 11:02 AM   #31
Veteran Member

All it takes is a bit of debris in the AF module and you'll get inconsistent focusing. If it were my camera an airline would be a serious consideration.

08-19-2014, 07:25 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I think I mentioned following before, but let me do it again - I started this thread to get some backing or reassurance or whatever you'd call it, because my trust towards service/repair guys was at a very low level. It has now gone completely down the drain. Zero, zip and nada trust at all and I'm very disappointed and angry.

They asked for my 17-50mm lens to check whether it could have been an FF issue and though I had a very hard time to believe that and had tried really hard to explain the problem to them, I sent it in, to get it over with. It took ages and they've returned them both without doing anything because they still couldn't find any problem.

I think I also wrote before, that the camera was performing so bad that I was starting to becoming paranoid about it. Stopping down didn't help in many cases and it happens very frequently with the bad focusing- and they can't find the problem?!

It's seems to me when it come to focus related stuff on the camera, there is a lack of competence because this is the third company I've been involved with and none have been capable to solve the problems - to any degree.

Now, how do I send a mail directly to Ricoh to complain about this? I've been wanting to do ever since the first time the camera was returned but have been waiting till the whole matter was cleared. If I go to the site and pick my region, the repair company shows up - I'm not interested in sending them the complaint, but Ricoh.
08-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Oh, I forgot: they sent the camera and lens to a completely different shop - and they guy from the shop were kind enough to drop by and deliver it to "my" shop, from where I had originally not only bought the camera but also sent it to repairs from.
08-19-2014, 06:59 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I honestly do not get how they couldn't find any problem. I did some shots on my way home and then some during the evening at home. 26 shots in total of which 14 have focus too closer than it should be. Of the remainder 12, I'd say just a tad less are out of focus as well, but it's harder to tell either because the focus i closer to where it should be, or because of tricky subject that makes it harder to see how the focus is.

Ps. I didn't change a single setting since I got the camera.

08-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
I honestly do not get how they couldn't find any problem. I did some shots on my way home and then some during the evening at home. 26 shots in total of which 14 have focus too closer than it should be. Of the remainder 12, I'd say just a tad less are out of focus as well, but it's harder to tell either because the focus i closer to where it should be, or because of tricky subject that makes it harder to see how the focus is.

Ps. I didn't change a single setting since I got the camera.
I know you started this thread some time ago and I didn't reread it but here's a question: If you switch to LV, do you get spot-on focus with every shot?
08-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have done some tests using LV but generally speaking, I rarely use LV. My impression is, it works fine but within the limits of contrast detection AF system.

With that said, there have been times when LV focusing wasn't as expected - but It's been a while since I owned the K-x and and am no longer used to the limitations of CDAF, which could have been the culprit even though at the time, it seemed odd LV wouldn't focus properly.

I suppose the bottom line is that I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's working as it should.
09-12-2014, 11:50 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
I sent the camera for repairs yesterday. The shots were just to show how much off it can be off and what's really frustrating is that the AF is highly unpredictable. It can be hard to identify a problem using real world scenarios but I photograph at many events and here, I take many group photos and the focus accuracy has become very bad over time, even at lower apertures which at one point I started using.

I have no doubt something is wrong and I do not think it is lens related. What worries me is whether the repair guys will be able to reproduce the misbehavior in order to recognize there indeed is a problem, because of it's randomness. But random in a really bizarre way.
You are not alone. My K-30 is having the exact same problem. Out of nowhere, the AF system goes haywire from time to time. When this happens, I get soft images, front and back focusing issues, and the AF not functioning properly except for only a few photos out of several hundred. So far this has happened 3 times since May. It happened twice in very low light, even though my K-30 performed above and beyond in very low light when I first got it, and once while shooting outside on a cloudy day. Like you, I fear my AF system is deteriorating over time and I know its not my lenses because they worked perfectly on my K-R. I fear sending in my camera for the same reason you mentioned but I'm strongly considering doing so because I am 100% sure my AF system is getting worse over time even though I can't prove it since these occurrences are so random.
09-15-2014, 06:15 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I really feel for you - my trust in such services (repair) was at a low place before i sent in my camera but now it's pretty much entirely gone. Hopefully you'll have a different experience.

I have in fact been wanting to write to Ricoh to complain about this matter - I had a look at the site and couldn't see where I should send the e-mail (head quarters).