Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-30-2014, 09:38 PM   #31
Forum Member

Will HC-Auto ever work if ISO is set to 100? If so, how would it?

10-01-2014, 03:25 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kodai84 Quote
Will HC-Auto ever work if ISO is set to 100? If so, how would it?
If the camera calls for HC to be used, it will set the minimum ISO for that shot to 200.
10-01-2014, 04:29 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
It really depends a lot on subject, RAW vs. JPEG shooting, and the kind of look you want. The problem with shadow correction is it can give you HDR look - compressed and a bit unnatural. If you use both SC and HC, you'll limit the effectiveness of both. Without trying to steer you, the K30/50 tends to run hot as has been indicated in reviews - especially in JPEG mode. That means you tend to run out of recordable information pretty easily. That's why HC or the conservatively implemented auto-HC can be very helpful - implemented only in high DR situations. Some folks here will tell you that no compensation is the most natural - and that's true until you have blown highlights and no way to recover them.

I'm yet to hear from anyone who has given HC auto a fair trial, and then goes back to no compensation. Still, plenty of folks say don't try it, though.

I totally agree and I even take it a step further. On both my K-01 and my K-30 I shoot with auto HC on but I also shoot most scenes at -1/2 EV. When I develop in Lightroom my base settings include +1/2 EV getting me back to normal exposure. I've found this keeps me from blowing highlights almost all the time and the shadow detail is still there.

I don't know why you would need to use Shadow Correction at all.