Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it possible to take multiple captures using the self timer?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So the other day I was taking a group shot that I wanted to be in, so I set up the tripod, used the 12 sec timer and ran back and forth getting a few pics. It occurred to me that it would be nice if the camera could be set to take multiple captures, say a second apart, using the self timer. It seems like this would be a good feature since people tend to get impatient while the photographer runs back forth resetting the timer but if it's possible I haven't found out how. Any ideas or tips?

06-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #2

Well one suggestion is an infra red remote control. I use mine a lot in similar circumstances with my K5.

Richard
06-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
It occurred to me that it would be nice if the camera could be set to take multiple captures, say a second apart
Your camera can already do that. Look in the manual under "Interval Shooting".
06-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Your camera can already do that. Look in the manual under "Interval Shooting".
This is exactly what you want. On my K-30 you simply go to Menu 2 on the camera option and find interval shooting there.

06-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup, interval shooting is the way to go. Set it up for 2 or 3 shots, as you see fit.

Some other brands allow you to specify the number of exposures to take in self time modes, but on Pentax cameras everything is handled through interval shooting to avoid duplication.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup, interval shooting is the way to go. Set it up for 2 or 3 shots, as you see fit.

Some other brands allow you to specify the number of exposures to take in self time modes, but on Pentax cameras everything is handled through interval shooting to avoid duplication.
I guess I'm doing something wrong. When I tried interval shooting it seemed to lock out the self timer. I can do interval or I can do self timer but not both together.

Edited to add that I have a K-50, firmware ver 1.00

Last edited by JimS_256; 06-08-2014 at 11:51 AM.
06-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You don't use the self timer, the interval does the timing, you may miss being in the first shot unless you trigger with the remote (not sure the remote works to start in interval but it should). Read the instructions carefully in the manual and practice once or twice. There are a lot of steps but once you've done it it is pretty easy.

06-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
You don't use the self timer, the interval does the timing, you may miss being in the first shot unless you trigger with the remote (not sure the remote works to start in interval but it should). Read the instructions carefully in the manual and practice once or twice. There are a lot of steps but once you've done it it is pretty easy.
Thanks. I had thought of that, and it's easy enough to set up, but it sure seems like a kludge work around, especially if other manufacturers provide the actual functionality. I guess I could set the interval for 3 sec and maybe 6 or 7 pics, I won't be in the first one and the next two would be of me running back and getting settled...

I tried the remote and it doesn't work either, you have to push the button manually to start the interval.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I understand what needs to be done, although it isn't the answer I was looking for. The remote with a 3 sec delay (to put the remote down) seems to be the best solution, assuming I have the remote with me and I'm close enough to use it.
06-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
You can set the time for the shutter to fire at. So long as the internal clock of the camera matches your wrist watch (stopwatch, phone etc...) you can be in your first shot.
06-08-2014, 02:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian

If you get an electronic remote you can fire the camera as often as you like, while keeping your hand out of sight.

Pixel Oppilas RW 221 Shutter Release Remote Control FOR Canon Pentax Samsung | eBay

Tuggie76
06-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
Thanks. I had thought of that, and it's easy enough to set up, but it sure seems like a kludge work around, especially if other manufacturers provide the actual functionality. I
Actually with some of the other manufactures you have to get an add on Intervalometer to do time lapse.
06-27-2014, 06:40 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can also try a Cable Shutter release with a long extension cable. The Cable release uses the same miniature audio plug as an audio head set so an audio extension cable will work with the cable remote. The cable remote activates the same electrical circuits inside the camera as the shutter button so the interval shooting program should work. The only thing you have to watch out for is that nobody trips over the cable laying on the ground or the floor when group breaks up!