Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2015, 10:12 PM   #76
Inactive Account

My k-50 is blind after one year ! :-(

I proudly bought a k-50 last year.

After one year of use, it died.

It's impossible for me to take any pictures anymore !

Live View seems to take pictures but not for so long.
Impossible to make focus… It died, too.

So, this weekend, I took pictures with my iPad…

What will I do with my k-50 and all the lenses I bought ????????

The exposure meter doesn't work anymore and pictures are now always under-exposed even
with a 5 seconds exposure during the day !!!

I don't recommend this camera !!! :-(

09-14-2015, 03:28 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For what it's worth, if your still under warranty return it for a fix. I understand your rant. It shouldn't happened if you use it as it should be used, without abuse.
09-14-2015, 10:59 PM   #78
Inactive Account

Uhhh… What do you mean by "It shouldn't happened if you use it as it should be used, without abuse." ????
09-15-2015, 12:58 AM   #79
Pentaxian

Well, just shooting pictures to the death is using normally, Dropping it, submerging it or using it as hammer or something else which isn't taking pictures in the normal course is abuse.

Like I said, I understand your rant. You expect a camera to work as a camera and not give you trouble.

09-15-2015, 01:23 AM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
I've never heard of any K-30s with this problem.
All cameras will flop if the mirror gets out of sync with their shutter.

This is standard recovery behavior and both Nikons and Canons will do the same.

The k3 had a possible internal calibration issue that triggered a reset even when not required and so generated all the attention.

But any camera will flop if it detects a reset issue but the flip doesn't recycle the sync so will flip again.

My K5 had it mirror box replaced at 53,000 actuation's because it would flop because the motor gear chain was worn.
09-15-2015, 04:53 AM   #81
Site Supporter

I own a K500 which is the non-weather resistant cousin to K50 and I haven't experienced any issues with mirror flop as of yet. I use both new and legacy Pentax, Sigma and Tamron lenses on the camera under a wide range of weather and temperature conditions.
After reading the posts and from an engineering point of view, I'm of the opinion that the mirror flop issue could be the result of changes made the front lens mounting ring and or lens lock pin on the K50 body to accommodate and provide sufficient compression on the lens seal to the camera body. If this were so the difference in design tolerance between the 2 rings or lens lock pin could be enough to put both the lens contacts and the aperture lever on some non-weather resistant legacy or after market lenses out of optimal alignment. Where there is also potentially a wide tolerance in the manufacture of a lens K-mount ring from different suppliers, including Pentax, this could also explain why problems are experienced with some lenses while other lenses work without issue making it a real hit and miss issue to solve.

Last edited by NS_Sailor; 09-15-2015 at 05:17 AM.
01-09-2016, 04:59 AM   #82

One good year of K-50 use, now mirror flop

Thanks to all for their insights. To add to the data in this thread, my wife bought me the K-50 from Costco for Christmas 2014, and I have loved it, taking several thousand photos with no problem at all. I just purchased a Tamron lens with Pentax mount to add to my telephoto capability. A few weeks later, without any warning, the camera started double exposing images and the mirror would double and triple flop on every image, and the software would lock up. I tried adjusting every aperture and focus setting, but it had no effect. I find that if I switch lenses, I can sometimes get the aperture apparatus to work normally, giving a crisp image. But within 3-5 such normal shots, it goes back to having its problems. I don't think there is any causality between the flopping and the Tamron lens, but I mention it here in case it adds to the general understanding of the issue. I have cleaned the lens mounts, but that does not seem to have much impact. I have written to Ricoh Imaging online support to ask them if replacing the "Diaphragm control block [NM D13-301]" will address the problem, as was reported by another user. Thanks.