Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2014, 05:09 AM   #1

thumb wheel direction / scale flip

Hey all, I recently bought a k50 and there is one thing that bugs me a little. I want the camera to go to lower values when I rotate the thumb wheel counterclockwise, not the other way around.

Am I missing an option here or is that simply not possible. I could set my nikon to match my pentax but it feels incredibly counterintuitive to me.

Greetings,
Mike

06-09-2014, 06:00 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, you have not missed anything. Perhaps my only gripe about Pentax but I have always felt the thumb wheels went backwards. 4 years of using Pentax nearly every day and I still go the wrong way at times.
06-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by flfz Quote
Hey all, I recently bought a k50 and there is one thing that bugs me a little. I want the camera to go to lower values when I rotate the thumb wheel counterclockwise, not the other way around.

Am I missing an option here or is that simply not possible. I could set my nikon to match my pentax but it feels incredibly counterintuitive to me.

Greetings,
Mike
I don't have the k50, but I imagine the navigation/settings would be similar to my k-5/IIs; however, I am not exactly getting your question. Can you give an example where you would rotate the rear dial counter-clockwise and getting higher value instead of lower value? The only situation I can think of is when you do "instant review", turning the rear dial will magnify the image on the LCD. But that is correct according to your definition (clockwise, increase magnification).
06-09-2014, 11:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No you can't and yes I agree they go "backwards" to what you expect, you will get used to it eventually I have but like jatrax I sometimes spin them the wrong way to correct exposure when in manual.
I was one thing I noticed on students Nikons that I liked was the ability to increase or decrease values in a logical direction .

06-09-2014, 11:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Don't think of it as a wheel, think of it as a slider and you are pushing it left or right.
06-10-2014, 08:36 AM   #6

Original Poster
oh what a bummer, thanks. Time to look trough that reverse engineering thread i guess
06-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Don't think of it as a wheel, think of it as a slider and you are pushing it left or right.
That's always been the way I think about it. To the right gives bigger numbers, left for smaller. The Nikon way sounds counter-intuitive.
06-10-2014, 06:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

To me it seems correct. Funny how that is.

06-11-2014, 07:45 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Great, a slider that opposes the brightness -/+ scale If I push it right the scale moves to the left. How do I get this in my head?!

But like I said, its just a minor thing. Especially now that I figured out that green button.
06-11-2014, 08:24 AM   #10
Pentaxian

To me it feels right but K-3 is first one with the option to reverse it afaik... not sure if they will back port it to K-50 even though it shouldn't be that hard.
06-12-2014, 02:30 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Great, a slider that opposes the brightness -/+ scale If I push it right the scale moves to the left. How do I get this in my head?!
Dunno what you're looking at but on my K-50 rotating the wheel to the right increases the value of whatever I'm adjusting at the time.
The only thing that moves to the left is the exposure comp scale in response to increasing shutter speed or increasing aperture value to the right which.
06-16-2014, 06:54 AM   #12
Site Supporter

But like I said, its just a minor thing. Especially now that I figured out that green button.
As a new K-50 owner (Oct. 2013) I've found the thumb wheel layout very easy to remember and operate. Rotating either thumb wheel to the right increases the number of the function be it AV, TV or ISO. As for the the meter think of the rotation either right or left as "chasing" the meter to center it. If the meter is showing over exposure rotate either the AV wheel or the TV wheel or both to the right bring the meter back to center. Do the opposite for an under exposure indication. Having to stop and think about clockwise or counter clockwise is time consuming. Just my two cents worth.
06-17-2014, 03:52 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
As for the the meter think of the rotation either right or left as "chasing" the meter to center it.
So thats how i am supposed to understand it. This is actually realy helpfull, ty.