Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2014, 05:15 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do both, I use a tethering cap, but as soon as I start shooting, I take it off and put it in my pocket. Too many time s I look down and the cap gets between me and my subject. And , I'm more concerned with the cap getting knocked off on a hike than I am with losing one when I'm actually using the camera. Any lens that has a non-pentadx replacement cap on it has a tether. I've already had one come off, losing a second to look cool would be silly. My 18-135 also doesn't have it's original lens hood, nor does my original 18-55. One is up by the dump road and the other is on Franklin Island. Once they're off the camera in the bush they are darn hard to find.

06-30-2014, 05:29 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Really worth getting the hoods if you can, I find they offer so much protection when you can't find the lens cap in one of my many pockets.

Last edited by DaveXT; 06-30-2014 at 05:46 AM.
06-30-2014, 05:36 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveXT Quote
Really worth getting the hoods if you can, I find they offer so much protection when when you can't find the lens cap in one of my many pockets.
One of the biggest gripes with my Sigma lenses is you can't functionally use a cap and hood at the same time. On my 70 Macro, it's one or the other. On my 8-16 the cap only attaches to the hood and you have to take the hood off to shoot wade, they may as well be one piece.
06-30-2014, 05:50 AM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
The biggest gripe with my Sigma 17-50 is the lens hood will not lock securely in place, and the cap is difficult to fit in place.

06-30-2014, 07:57 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I wonder why Sigma do that? On my Sigma 105mm macro the hood screws into the filter thread and there are no female threads on the small end of the hood to allow you to replace the cap so it's hood or cap but not both. I got around this problem recently by purchasing a generic 77mm clip-on lens cap that fits into the filter threads on the wide end of the hood.
06-30-2014, 08:45 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
I wonder why Sigma do that? On my Sigma 105mm macro the hood screws into the filter thread and there are no female threads on the small end of the hood to allow you to replace the cap so it's hood or cap but not both.
My Sigma 50/2.8 macro is the same way. (Are we seeing a Sigma Macro trend here?) I love the robust hood. It is too bad that Sigma did not provide a set of female thread for the hood to allow a cap.

Steve