Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2014, 04:44 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Your camera without skill by itself will not do the wow you see in others works....... Lighting, Lighting, Lighting & Exposure plus Post Processing Skill..... What you are not taking into consideration is what lighting control equipment, how was it used it to control the light, what exposures were used and how were the photos post processed when comparing wow to yours.. Photography is all about the skilled use of the lighting one has or creates and use of proper exposure to go along with it. You can't just try different exposure settings , you need to KNOW what exposure settings to use for the lighting you are working with or creating and be able to compensate for effect.. Then comes the post processing and creative use of it. Your equipment is more than adequate but it takes more than just the camera to create the wow, it takes your knowledge, skill and mastery. To me that is the differentiating factor between a picture taker and a photographer. Learning, knowledge and practice what you've learned is the key, It is a never ending journey.

As far as sharpness, a vast majority of the time as long as there is not a lot of motion blur one can enhance the sharpness effectively in post processing if needed, sometimes a softer look with the right lighting is more pleasing.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 06-19-2014 at 04:51 AM.
06-19-2014, 05:35 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nothing wrong with it that a little photoshop cant fix.

06-19-2014, 05:41 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flash is something I'm not great at, but I know it's a key to great portraits - and worth becoming expert in.
As for underexposed images - Lightroom has all the tools you need for this. You'll also want to make sure your monitor isn't wonky - too dark or bright for example. Mine at home was too bright and my pictures all looked dark elsewhere. I fixed that.
06-19-2014, 05:47 AM   #19
Site Supporter

I'm not a Strobist but some things I learned using flash.........

Any type of diffuser or bounce attachment will decrease the amount of flash hitting the subject. 1/2 to 2 stops of light. I normally set the camera or flash Compensation to a + number to compensate for this.

Use the Histogram that pops up on the camera screen to judge exposure. You'll need to read about Histograms to judge if your exposure is right.
Too far to the left and it's under exposed, to the right over exposed.

Because of the way a camera meters the light I always set a little + compensation when I photograph people that have a dark complexion. Usually
+ 1/2. This gives Truer Skin Tones.

The example you have provided is probably the worst case you can shoot in. Surrounding Dark vs. Bright shirt. I'd adjust the exposure for skin tone and let everything else fall where it may. The Bright shirt will be blown out but your subject will be correct.

Good Luck.

06-19-2014, 05:47 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jaikumarr18 Quote
So is that the maximum quality that I can expect with my kit and if so, is there any great lens that would yield amazing results on people or portrait, which one that would be to add to my existing kit?
Have a look at this thread, to see what the K-30 can do. If you can't achieve it, you might have to put in a bit of effort to learn how to get the best out of your K-30, as the camera seems quite capable of taking good images....https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/192015-post-your-k-30-photos-here.html:)
06-19-2014, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by halfspin Quote
Nothing wrong with it that a little photoshop cant fix.
I kinda resent that "PS can fix anything" mentality, I prefer to get it right in camera, at least as close to the right exposure as possible.
06-19-2014, 06:09 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
I kinda resent that "PS can fix anything" mentality, I prefer to get it right in camera, at least as close to the right exposure as possible.
I resent your resentment. I didn't imply it could fix "anything." The photo presented was too dark and the composition was not ideal and photoshop (or your favorite post processing software) can and does resolve those issues. The idea you can get the best possible shot in camera without any "development" isn't realistic - post processing has history as old as photography. I agree with you that the right exposure is important.
06-19-2014, 06:13 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
Too funny, like Halfspin you used what to enhance the Op's photo? I completely agree with getting the exposure as close as possible but you did enhance the photo using software for your example also so what mentality were you using?

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 06-19-2014 at 06:20 AM.
06-19-2014, 06:20 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by halfspin Quote
I resent your resentment. I didn't imply it could fix "anything." The photo presented was too dark and the composition was not ideal and photoshop (or your favorite post processing software) can and does resolve those issues. The idea you can get the best possible shot in camera without any "development" isn't realistic - post processing has history as old as photography. I agree with you that the right exposure is important.
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Too funny, like Halfspin you used what to enhance the Op's photo? I completely agree with getting the exposure as close as possible but you did enhance the photo using software for your example also so what mentality were you using?

Alright alright the hour is late and I admit I used too strong a word, for that I apologize, my original reply is more about getting the right *exposure* in camera. And I am with you both on "development" or Post Processing is necessary, if you see my flickr stream you will find that I PP most of my image, pretty heavily most of the time
06-19-2014, 06:35 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Dang. I was hoping for a good long argument about PP! I guess I'll have to work after all.
06-19-2014, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Thanks for the response. I kept TTL with HSS by default if am using the flash along with omni bounce diffuser if its indoors. I believe I read in some article to keep it that way. Unfortunately I don't have any of my pictures taken indoor using flash and my friends did not wanted their picture to be posted. Anyways, this one was taken using DA50 f1.8 lens , with exposure settings as f5.6, 1/125 ISO 400. Also I have sent my K30 with 18-135mm kit to Pentax service center to check for any AF accuracy issue and they returned it stating everything looks fine.

---------- Post added 06-19-14 at 04:20 AM ----------

Also I use Hoya UV filters by default on both my lenses and I never used to remove them. Not sure if the exposure will be affected because of that.
How To Shoot Outdoor Portraits

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 06-19-2014 at 07:47 AM.
06-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #27

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your support. I must admit, the lightroom did make the picture better. I usually use spot metering and focus on the subject eyes and then would fill the frame with the subject face and adjust the exposure settings until the light meter within camera states its right. Then recompose and then take the picture. Please find my other pictures posted in the below link

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/192015-post-your-k-3...here-122.html#

Am quite happy with the landscape pictures. Only concern is the portrait or with people. But again, I have seen great results with different lens in that thread and that is the reason I wanted to know if I need a lens upgrade for better results.

Also is photoshop or lightroom better for post processing? There is also DXO optics but I have not used it and hence not sure about it.
06-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Also is photoshop or lightroom better for post processing? There is also DXO optics but I have not used it and hence not sure about it.
Photoshop has more capability. If you're doing PP on a small number of specific images it's a good option. But it's usually only necessary if you frequently want to isolate certain parts of your image and adjust them completely independently from the rest of the image ("local adjustments").

If you have many images that need similar adjustments - or just want to keep it simpler - Lightroom, DxO Optics, or Capture One (my choice) do better. Lightroom and Capture One can also catalog your entire image collection so you can find them later. Capture One gives better looking results than Lightroom from a RAW file before you even begin making adjustments, so you might like it. Don't even think about using Lightroom without performing adjustments on every image (fortunately, both programs can batch-apply one image's adjustments to a group of others). I also think Capture One does better on the finished image more often, but either one can excel under certain conditions. Capture One's Auto Adjust usually improves the RAW image even further (especially with exposure) and then you can go from there. All three have free, fully-functional downloadable trials, so you might as well try them for yourself.

Last edited by DSims; 06-19-2014 at 02:47 PM.
06-19-2014, 03:49 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Here's an idea, use the money you wanted to spend on gear and enrol in a portrait workshop instead, might be a better investment. Plus learn to PP, makes a real difference.
06-19-2014, 04:05 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Also consider using your flash off-camera, even if you have to hand-hold it.

Positioning a subject correctly in the sunlight, and using reflectors (even simple white posterboards) can help as well.