Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2014, 10:24 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Missing WOW factor with my K30 kit

Hi all,

This might be a noob question but I just need to understand the limitations of my kit. I have Pentax K30 with 18-135mm WR lens and DA 50mm F1.8. When taking portrait or group pictures (indoors or outdoors), the picture is good but still missing the wow factor. I usually shoot in Raw and then do bit of post processing in light room. I have seen lot of pictures (indoors, wedding) of people and the picture really pops out. But am not getting that sharpness or that wow factor on the pictures that I take. I tried multiple exposure settings under different conditions, with tripod and remote shutter etc... but still could not achieve that kind of picture. So is that the maximum quality that I can expect with my kit and if so, is there any great lens that would yield amazing results on people or portrait, which one that would be to add to my existing kit?

Regards,
Jai

06-18-2014, 10:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jaikumarr18 Quote
Hi all,

This might be a noob question but I just need to understand the limitations of my kit. I have Pentax K30 with 18-135mm WR lens and DA 50mm F1.8. When taking portrait or group pictures (indoors or outdoors), the picture is good but still missing the wow factor. I usually shoot in Raw and then do bit of post processing in light room. I have seen lot of pictures (indoors, wedding) of people and the picture really pops out. But am not getting that sharpness or that wow factor on the pictures that I take. I tried multiple exposure settings under different conditions, with tripod and remote shutter etc... but still could not achieve that kind of picture. So is that the maximum quality that I can expect with my kit and if so, is there any great lens that would yield amazing results on people or portrait, which one that would be to add to my existing kit?

Regards,
Jai
Your kit should be quite capable, but sometimes, RAW development can be tricky- have you tried shooting in RAW+ to compare your final product with what the camera suggests?

Post some samples that you're not satisfied with and we'll take a look

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-18-2014, 10:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A external flash (unfortunately...)
06-18-2014, 10:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Sample pictures will help to get us all on the same page.

Keep in mind that the 'wow' factor is 10% equipment, 90% skill.

06-18-2014, 11:11 PM   #5

Shooting RAW requires adequate post processing.
What RAW processing program are you using?
Increasing Sharpening, Clarity or Micro contrast, and Saturation will usually make an image pop.
06-18-2014, 11:31 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
your camera and lenses are more than capable. definitely for portraits your prime lens will be suited better due to the shallow depth of field(or a close up shot with the zoom lens at the long end). if you're shooting in low light and used f1.8, but your shutter speed is slow i.e. longer than 1/30th, then no wonder you're not getting sharp pictures.
However, if there is sufficient light, then a lot of things could matter like choosing a nice background to throw out of focus with a large aperture, angle of view, post processing etc etc...
Give us a couple of examples from your shots in order to understand better what went wrong.

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote

Keep in mind that the 'wow' factor is 10% equipment, 90% skill.
totally agree
06-18-2014, 11:39 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I do agree that the output depends on 90% skill and 10 % equipment and am constantly learning to improve my skills. I also have Metz 58 AF-2 external flash for low light photography. But I always use it in TTL with HSync mode at this point since am still in learning curve when it comes to flash. But I always go with manual rather than aperture priority or shutter priority mode on my camera. Did try manual focus using these lens but did not get any good results and hence sticking with autofocus for now.

Good to know that my equipment is capable and I don't have to upgrade any lens to get better results.
06-18-2014, 11:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter

You can use Av with PTTL and HSS on the flash. Aim the flash head to the roof so it reflects back down.

06-19-2014, 12:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

But I always use it in TTL with HSync mode at this point
Do you mean high speed sync (HSS)?

This is really for very specific conditions and will kill the power output of your flash dramatically. Why do you want to use it?
06-19-2014, 12:40 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Do you mean high speed sync (HSS)?

This is really for very specific conditions and will kill the power output of your flash dramatically. Why do you want to use it?
I second this, why would you want to use HSS? I shoot a friend's wedding with my Metz 48 on my K-5IIs, I don't think I used HSS once.

And, sample shots would be very helpful...
06-19-2014, 12:48 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to know that my equipment is capable and I don't have to upgrade any lens to get better results.
Are you going to post a photo or two (plus an example of what you want it to look like)?
06-19-2014, 01:40 AM   #12

have you tuned or at least checked AF accuracy of your lenses ?
06-19-2014, 04:14 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the response. I kept TTL with HSS by default if am using the flash along with omni bounce diffuser if its indoors. I believe I read in some article to keep it that way. Unfortunately I don't have any of my pictures taken indoor using flash and my friends did not wanted their picture to be posted. Anyways, this one was taken using DA50 f1.8 lens , with exposure settings as f5.6, 1/125 ISO 400. Also I have sent my K30 with 18-135mm kit to Pentax service center to check for any AF accuracy issue and they returned it stating everything looks fine.

---------- Post added 06-19-14 at 04:20 AM ----------

Also I use Hoya UV filters by default on both my lenses and I never used to remove them. Not sure if the exposure will be affected because of that.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
06-19-2014, 04:25 AM   #14
Pentaxian

You want some brutally honest opinion?

The lighting is too dull and flat, image is under exposed, the background is not very interesting and doesn't let the person stand out( too close to the skin tone and hair colour), the outer frame don't add anything to the image and imho because he's not looking at the camera it's hard to engage as a viewer.

It would also help if you can post link to images that you think has the pop so we can have some idea what look you are after.

-----------------------------------------------------Edit----------------------------------

Hope you don't mind me getting your image through LR for some quick and dirty editing

Last edited by elpolodiablo; 06-19-2014 at 05:44 AM.
06-19-2014, 04:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's the lack of good light, that's what it is. Use a flash with a diffuser, or bounce the light where possible... No pop without light.