Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #1

Extended warrany for my new K-50

Hi All,

I just bought a K-50 (Lens Kit + AG 200 Flash) and thinking about getting extended warranty.

Is square trade warranty the best option available or are there any other options that i can explore.

Amazon has 4 year protection plan for around 50 dollars.(I don't think it's their drop and skills coverage).

Thanks

06-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, Pentax offers a 2 year extended warranty (total of 3 years when including the base 1 year) for $20.Included within the warranty is a cleaning (you pay the shipping one way). The work is done at CRIS as far as I know...

I don't know about the others.

06-21-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I never purchase extended warranties on anything. Being a designer of electronic hardware (before switching to firmware), I know that the vast majority of electronic component failures happen during the first few months of use (infant mortality). The standard warranty covers that. Any failures beyond that period are likely due to misuse/abuse and will not be covered anyway. A better use of the money is to add your gear to an insurance policy that covers replacement due to theft or loss.
06-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
I never purchase extended warranties on anything. Being a designer of electronic hardware (before switching to firmware), I know that the vast majority of electronic component failures happen during the first few months of use (infant mortality). The standard warranty covers that. Any failures beyond that period are likely due to misuse/abuse and will not be covered anyway. A better use of the money is to add your gear to an insurance policy that covers replacement due to theft or loss.
I purchase Square Trade because of the "drop and dunk" options. I have had two different point and shoot digitals fail after two years and both were repaired.

06-23-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

OregonJim might be oversimplifying matters. Electronics that encounter high temperatures or are subject to considerable vibration (such as rapid and extensive mirror cycling) will tend to have their share of deterioration and failure over time. The cleaning is worth $20 easily. The record of circuit board failure (causing occasional freeze ups followed by total failure) is concern enough to prompt consideration of at least the Pentax warranty. I'm not saying that the K-30/K-50 is undependable, but for at least those of us who shoot 1,000 images or more a month and plan to keep the camera for more than two years - the decision is pretty easy.
06-23-2014, 07:21 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Electronics that encounter high temperatures or are subject to considerable vibration (such as rapid and extensive mirror cycling) will tend to have their share of deterioration and failure over time.
That would then be normal wear'n'tear and not a defect to be covered under a warranty, surely?
What you're all really talking about is an insurance cover.
06-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I think its a matter of engineering. Every body is different.

I have the K20D - purchased at the end of product cycle, and the camera had not shown any pattern of failures - so I didn't consider any form of warranty extension. The camera is trouble-free; design is far more solid than the professional-level LX or any other camera I have owned.

Before that the very first DSLR - the *istD - has some patterns of failure related to heat (I would see battery depletion when using the on-board flash extensively - a very rare situation for me because I almost always use off-camera diffusion when resorting to flash on occasion). The *istD is pretty dependable for a first-ever effort; but not in the K20D class for durability.

I have a K-01 which has far fewer moving parts and build quality substantially better than the K-30. Still, I would have picked up the extended warranty on that very unique camera because it was a first-off - and I was an early adopter. Pentax wasn't offering an extended warranty on the camera. Luckily, its a brick, and I think it will hold up very well over a number of years.

The K-30 is the only modern era camera I have purchased from Pentax that isn't flagship; and its quite apparent. The build, feel, textures are substantially below any of the cameras mentioned above. Issues have been reported, and given the technology and weather-sealing packed into the K-30/K-50 at such a reasonable price, there is reason to believe the camera internals just aren't extremely robust. These are very well designed cameras, but I am pretty sure that heat and vibration resistance tolerances are considerably lower.

So, yes, wear and tear - but it all depends which camera is likely to wear well under heavy use. I'm glad to have cheap insurance (and a free cleaning coming) on the K-30.
08-31-2014, 07:41 AM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
After my last camera failed (stuck lens), just barely under the 1 year warranty, I've since changed my mind about purchasing extended warranties! For $20, for a total of 3 years, plus a free cleaning; very cheap peace of mind!

08-31-2014, 08:00 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For the $20 that Pentax charges for their extended warranty, I consider it a bargain - especially with the cleaning included. My first dSLR - the K100D, that I still have, I did not know about the warranty and its still going strong.

When I upgraded to the K20, Pentax included the warranty as an inducement, since it was on "clearance" with the announcement of the K7. 18 months in, the sensor was getting pretty noisy, so I took it over to CRIS and 2 weeks later I picked it up with new guts - all new circuit boards. Then 18 months later after upgrading to the K5, CRIS cleaned the K20 and I sold it here on the forum. With the K5, I immediately went out and bought a warranty for the $20. A year ago this month, I was shooting up at the Grand Canyon and in the space of 80 shots went through all 3 of my batteries (and finished up using the K100 and the Q). Again, dropped it off at CRIS and 2 weeks later received it back with a new mirror motor. So, yes - for dSLRs, and for $20 - its a good purchase. For $50, I would think about it a bit longer - but with drop & dunk and an extra year coverage - I would probably spring for it, if the Pentax one was no longer offered.

Now for the Q, I didn't go for the $20 warranty. I bough my Q for essentially $100, and just passed. Nor for the Panasonic LX3 either. Normally, I don't go with warranties either. But, for the Pentax extended warranty - I'll gladly spring for it.

With Pentax moving the warranty service to Texas, I can't just drop it off at CRIS, so its not as convenient for me. Oh, well...