Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2014, 02:14 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 23
D-90 to K-50

Hello Everyone!

I am a longtime Pentax analog user (and Minolta, too) who shoots with a Nikon DSLR. This is due to a business arrangement I was in for a while--the boss shot Nikon, so I obliged. Nothing wrong with the Nikon except it is not very well environmentally sealed. I have always loved the Pentax system and am considering selling the Nikon for a K-50. I would like the K-3, but with a child about to start college, the K-50 better fits the budget.

I mainly photograph landscapes, birds, macros, and buildings. Occasionally I will photograph people. Any ideas or thoughts on this kind of switch? I still have a K-1000 and an ME Super and the 28, 50, and 135 that I have always loved.

Thanks in advance,
Aubrey

(sorry if this has been asked and answered before--it did not pull up when I did a search)

06-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southern California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,181
Which lenses do you have for the D90?
06-21-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,948
The k50 is much newer that the D90, so it will feel like a nice upgrade. It's certainly the most cost-effective way of getting weather sealing too. But, as dsims said, whether or not the switch makes sense depends on what lenses you have.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-21-2014, 04:40 PM   #4
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 23
Original Poster
For the D-90 I have the kit 18-105 and the very nice 70-300 VR. I also have the SB800 speedlight. It is a nice little kit, but I would like to have a common mount (even within the limitations).

06-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southern California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,181
QuoteOriginally posted by Silvertooth Quote
For the D-90 I have the kit 18-105 and the very nice 70-300 VR. I also have the SB800 speedlight. It is a nice little kit, but I would like to have a common mount (even within the limitations).
The 18-105 isn't bad either, but I think you could give up this setup without loosing something precious.

The K-30 (virtually identical) or K-50 will give you much improved high ISO (no real advantage at lower ISOs). One of these with a DA18-135, DA 55-300 (even DA L version, new or used), and a discounted AF-540 or an AF-360 II flash would be an ideal replacement.

Plus you could get the entire kit WR (even the new flash) if that matters to you.
06-21-2014, 08:07 PM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 23
Original Poster
You named the kit I was condidering! The weather sealing is important and the main reason for the consideration of the switch. I live on the coast and spend a lot of time photographing the bay. I like to vacation in the mountains near streams and waterfalls, so better moisture protection is something I would like to have. Thanks for your thoughts.
06-21-2014, 08:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elida, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,113
QuoteOriginally posted by Silvertooth Quote
Hello Everyone!

I am a longtime Pentax analog user (and Minolta, too) who shoots with a Nikon DSLR. This is due to a business arrangement I was in for a while--the boss shot Nikon, so I obliged. Nothing wrong with the Nikon except it is not very well environmentally sealed. I have always loved the Pentax system and am considering selling the Nikon for a K-50. I would like the K-3, but with a child about to start college, the K-50 better fits the budget.

I mainly photograph landscapes, birds, macros, and buildings. Occasionally I will photograph people. Any ideas or thoughts on this kind of switch? I still have a K-1000 and an ME Super and the 28, 50, and 135 that I have always loved.

Thanks in advance,
Aubrey

(sorry if this has been asked and answered before--it did not pull up when I did a search)
The D-90 was a great camera, but it was introduced 6 years ago. With the K-50 you'll not only get the weather sealed body, but high ISO ability, built in stabilization, and a lot more advances, plus you already have three lenses. I would think you should do OK on selling your Nikon lenses to help fund a couple WR lenses.
06-22-2014, 02:39 PM   #8
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 23
Original Poster
One of the concerns I have is focus speed. The D-90 is okay, but it not what I would call fast. How might the K-50 compare?

06-22-2014, 05:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southern California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,181
QuoteOriginally posted by Silvertooth Quote
One of the concerns I have is focus speed. The D-90 is okay, but it not what I would call fast. How might the K-50 compare?
I can't tell you how it compares to the D90.

Within Pentax, the K-50's AF is better than the K-5, but not as good as the K-3. Not sure whether it's as good as the K-5 II or not (which is also somewhere in-between). But it's pretty good in terms of AF performance, so chances are good you'll be happy with it there.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
d-90, k-30, k-50, nikon, nikon switch to pentax, pentax, pentax k30, pentax k50, photograph, weather sealed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Pentax K-3 System, D-FA 100mm WR, K-50 Kit 18-55mm DAL and more BenWatkins Sold Items 20 01-11-2014 12:35 AM
For Sale - Sold: K-5, 16-50,50-135,65-250, Sigma 17-50, 50 1.4, 50 1.8, Tamron 90 2.8, Flashes virarfast Sold Items 8 04-04-2013 02:30 PM
For Sale - Sold: K-5, K-7, Pentax 16-50, 50-135, 12-24, Tamron 90 Macro, 70-300, Metz 48 and 58, etc hfthomp Sold Items 10 01-10-2013 07:32 PM
battery cover for D-LI 90 (K-5/K-7) batteries! 0x4243 Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 2 02-15-2012 02:03 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:08 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top