Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2014, 06:11 AM   #1

K-50 with eye-fi pro x2

I'm a week and a half into my my first dslr (K-50) and 2 days into my eye-fi and have hit a roadblock, I swear i wasn't hallucinating when i seen the option to re-size photos before sending via eye-fi. I cannot for the life of me find this option anywhere now. It has been stated in these forums the k-50 can do it but not how or where the option is in the menu.

06-27-2014, 06:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When you've got the image on the screen, try the bottom button on scroll wheel, on K-5 it is for flash, that'll take you to editing menu where resize option should be...
06-27-2014, 06:35 AM   #3

Original Poster
I can find the resize option but i thought there was a auto resize before sending option.
06-27-2014, 06:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry, I haven't tried eye-fi cards yet, still contemplating if I really need one....thought you meant in camera...

06-27-2014, 11:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ask eye fi their support is excellent
06-29-2014, 08:57 AM   #6

Original Poster
So I'm not to happy with the eye-fi, it says it can do ftp but that's only going through the eye-fi "cloud" its at this point the photo is re-sized and sent back to your internet facing ftp.
Forgetting all the bad security this brings my issue is the transmission is of the size (average 5mb) of the photo's is painfully slow and as far as i can tell Pentax k-50 does not automatically resize the photos but there is the option to resize then the option the transfer, but on the k-50 the only way to know its the resized photo is by looking at the file name.

So don't try burst mode then pic a photo to resize and expect to find it later to transfer.

I'm a little bummed with the eye-fi because I have a kick-A$$ AP to use it with also I don't have long fingernails to get the card out and need to eject it like a bullet from a pistol.

Just my 2 cents.

---------- Post added 06-29-14 at 11:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by deluxecamp Quote
So I'm not to happy with the eye-fi, it says it can do ftp but that's only going through the eye-fi "cloud" its at this point the photo is re-sized and sent back to your internet facing ftp.
Forgetting all the bad security this brings my issue is the transmission is of the size (average 5mb) of the photo's is painfully slow and as far as i can tell Pentax k-50 does not automatically resize the photos but there is the option to resize then the option the transfer, but on the k-50 the only way to know its the resized photo is by looking at the file name.

So don't try burst mode then pic a photo to resize and expect to find it later to transfer.

I'm a little bummed with the eye-fi because I have a kick-A$$ AP to use it with also I don't have long fingernails to get the card out and need to eject it like a bullet from a pistol.

Just my 2 cents.
And now my first picture to the forum is not rotated properly.... great.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
06-29-2014, 01:27 PM   #7

Original Poster
Is this sideways photo because I use the auto-rotate function in the camera? It look normal on my laptop.
06-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Been there, done that, got the sh*ts, sold the card. I hated it..

I don't have long fingernails to get the card out and need to eject it like a bullet from a pistol.
Yes, this is beginning to irritate me with the K-50 also, the K-7 received a lot of complaints for the same reason, though the K-50 is another level worse.

11-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just want to be able to transfer the photos to the PC without removing the card or hooking up the cable... Does it do that or not?
11-22-2014, 06:39 PM   #10
Pentaxian

No...
11-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Well, it's off my list then. If it doesn't do that, then what's the point?
11-23-2014, 04:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
I just want to be able to transfer the photos to the PC without removing the card or hooking up the cable... Does it do that or not?
I have the eye-fi pro x2 and done over 1000 shots with downloading from the k-50 and haven't had an issue I download to an iPad. I haven't resized pictures and done anything fancy with it. To some degree I prefer my eye-fi over my pentax flu. Set up can be difficult but persevere it is worth it. I also did original set up on my home computer window based. And yes it does do that no cable or removing card.
11-23-2014, 04:50 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sorver Quote
I have the eye-fi pro x2 and done over 1000 shots with downloading from the k-50 and haven't had an issue I download to an iPad. I haven't resized pictures and done anything fancy with it. To some degree I prefer my eye-fi over my pentax flu. Set up can be difficult but persevere it is worth it. I also did original set up on my home computer window based. And yes it does do that no cable or removing card.
Do you shoot in RAW or JPG? The review I read said that it would not transfer RAW files and that the transfer rate was very slow. Now, I've been looking at the Mobi, not the Pro X2; maybe there's a difference there.
11-23-2014, 05:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
Do you shoot in RAW or JPG? The review I read said that it would not transfer RAW files and that the transfer rate was very slow. Now, I've been looking at the Mobi, not the Pro X2; maybe there's a difference there.
All the ones I had with the wi-fi were done in jpg might explain the difference but raw are so large no matter how you transfer it is going to take time. There was a reason I didn't go the mobi and I can't remember why now I am sure I must have had a good reason at the time. Just checked on the packaging that is why I didn't go the mobi the pro does raw and video as well.
11-24-2014, 12:47 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Honestly, I've been there and done that. These wireless cards are just not worth the hassle. Faster to just flick out the card and pop it into the card reader. I've learned how to get the card out quickly enough without launching it across the room. I shoot RAW and only RAW - I want to get them to my PC fast. Card read is the fastest most hassle free way.