Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
K30 gave me a spook last night

Earlier in the day I was taking photos with my K30 and the genuine Pentax battery was showing full on the meter. Later that night, I went to use it and it was not turning on. I had a 3rd party spare battery that was also near full and put it in and...nothing. After many flips of the on/off switch I figured it actually had died. I put the Pentax battery on charge and left the K30 sitting without a battery for a while as I looked for the warranty paperwork, and after I found it I decided to put the Pentax battery that had been charging for a few minutes back in, and my K30 started working again! The battery meter was now showing near empty, and when I switched it over to the 3rd party one, it now worked fine and showed full as it should. Anyone else have anything like this happen to them?

Last edited by stillshot2; 06-28-2014 at 03:18 PM.
06-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #2

Me too - but not sure what

Strangely, I had a very recent problem with the genuine Pentax battery. The problem is I'm not sure what happened. I always make sure my K30 is switched off after use (plus I have sensor clean when switching off so there's a physical feel). Living next to a river I sometimes grab the camera and click away at a passing boat or ship. This time the battery was stone dead. I was sure it was charged. Was probably less then 24 hours since I last used it as well. Replaced the battery for a spare (non original) and all was OK. Recharged the Pentax one and so far OK.

Totally stumped me why it discharged so quickly, but accepted it as "just one of those things". Will be interested in any other replies.
06-28-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Me too!

Except that I noticed this lock up occurring if I am having problems with my SD card. It's as if the camera is waiting for a "card OK" signal from some internal subsystem. If it doesn't receive then it won't turn on. I pull the battery out for 2-8 seconds and put it back in. All is well. It happens about once a month to me.
06-28-2014, 07:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Except that I noticed this lock up occurring if I am having problems with my SD card.
Some cheap SD cards are real power hogs. I have one that draws 100 mA even in 'sleep' mode, when it's supposed to be 1/1000 that much. Marked it with a big red 'X'. It could easily drain a full battery in less than 24 hours.

First thing to try is a different brand of SD card and see if the problem goes away.

06-29-2014, 06:16 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Some cheap SD cards are real power hogs. I have one that draws 100 mA even in 'sleep' mode, when it's supposed to be 1/1000 that much. Marked it with a big red 'X'. It could easily drain a full battery in less than 24 hours.

First thing to try is a different brand of SD card and see if the problem goes away.

I've a Sandisk Extreme 16gb, so it's not a cheapy card. But, what you mentioned about sleep mode is interesting. As I'd been thinking along the lines of a battery fault. If the fault does happen again I'll investigate much better.
06-29-2014, 09:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I use an 8gb Sandisk extreme, also not a cheap card. I may have left my camera on after I put it away and it went into sleep mode, but that doesn't explain why the camera still didn't power on after switching to another full battery. I suppose it just had a little glitch and needed to be "reset" with the battery left out for a few minutes?
07-28-2014, 10:41 AM   #7

This recently started happening to me also on my K-30. It was after I went on a long road trip on my motorcycle, so I figured the dampness (it was very humid) plus jostling around in my backpack might have caused some kind of partial disconnect of wires or an internal switch. Glad to hear (erm, not so glad, actually) that others are experiencing this as well.

Even with a fresh battery pack I flip the switch and sometimes it does not power on. Sometimes I gently whack the side or bottom and that seems to bring it back alive, other times not. It has only recently started doing this, never had before. Same SD card as I've always used. Doesn't matter if I'm using the black sealed battery pack or the 4-AA adapter with Eneloops.

Wondering if perhaps the SD card is getting "worn out" (if that's even possible) and maybe I can buy another one and try it out--never a waste to have an extra SD card!
07-28-2014, 11:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Sounds like it could be the SD card door switch playing up, it's the pencil lead sized plunger to the left of the 'Push to Eject' label. (The K-30 doesn't power up if the door is open.)

07-28-2014, 03:38 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This thread suddenly reminded me of this video I saw a while back:

It probably does have to do with that little plunger.