Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-13-2014, 11:49 AM   #1

Focus peaking..

Can anyone please tell me if Manual focus assist is available in conjunction with focus peaking on the K50. I just watched this video on Youtube and wondered if the video content applied to all makes of camera..
Thanks guys..

07-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
By manual focus assist, do you mean zooming in? If so, then yeah focus peaking is available then.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes, the video is generally correct. If you want fine focus control, you need to magnify. This feature is available on the K50 by pushing the OK button while in live view.

Steve
07-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #4

Original Poster
Many thanks Steve

That clears thigs up for me. Appreciated....
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, the video is generally correct. If you want fine focus control, you need to magnify. This feature is available on the K50 by pushing the OK button while in live view.

Steve

---------- Post added 07-13-14 at 09:07 PM ----------

Zooming in to aid with manual focusing - yes..
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
By manual focus assist, do you mean zooming in? If so, then yeah focus peaking is available then.

07-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Snoops27 Quote
That clears thigs up for me. Appreciated....
It is my pleasure. One of the hallmarks of the Pentax Forums is the eagerness of the members to help out and offer advice or information. We don't always get it right, but often enough we are a great help.

Steve
07-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have the K-50 and can confirm all of the above.
Though [for me], when using live view I find focus assist far more accurate without FP.
07-14-2014, 09:39 AM   #7

Original Poster
Great stuff.

Thanks Steve, the more info I get, the easier it is for me to make an informed decision. It's marvellous when folks take time out to help other less knowledgeable people.... Thanks again..
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I have the K-50 and can confirm all of the above.
Though [for me], when using live view I find focus assist far more accurate without FP.

07-14-2014, 11:14 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Same here. i am not a big fan of FP, particularly on Pentax cameras. I guess the FP level was set at too high (highlights too much of DOF) on Pentax? But even on NEX camera, I feel FP is somewhat like focusing conformation beeping, just provides a range, but not guarantee spot on.
I use focus assist most of time if possible. But again, the screen on pentax cameras are not very good for that either, particularly when zoom-in. image is blurred and still not as good as I expect. does the screen on K3 get better?
07-14-2014, 11:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Focus assist digitally zooms the image, so yes it will be soft - not much can be done about that.
07-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Focus assist digitally zooms the image, so yes it will be soft - not much can be done about that.
That is exactly what I said about Pentax, which interpolates the small files generated for LCD display and enlarges it for focus assisting. While the digital zoom on NEX is much much better. It uses the image collected from cmos and recalculate for the zoom-in image for display (starts from much better image)
I really hope pentax/ricoh could catch up soon in that expect.
07-14-2014, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
That is exactly what I said about Pentax, which interpolates the small files generated for LCD display and enlarges it for focus assisting..
I find that technically questionable as the focus assist is live with the image directly from the sensor. I don't see how there could be any 'files'.
Also, FA LCD display quality very much depends on the lens and current focal length used.
07-19-2014, 09:03 PM   #12

Id love to see Pentax offer the ability to change the colour of the highlighted edges with focus peaking via a firmware update. The white edging is often difficult to see.
07-20-2014, 01:07 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by curlednoodles Quote
Id love to see Pentax offer the ability to change the colour of the highlighted edges with focus peaking via a firmware update. The white edging is often difficult to see.
Yeah, I like the default Sony red better. Like the brush adjustment area in Lightroom, it's clearer most times than white.
07-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by curlednoodles Quote
Agreed 1+++

Steve