Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2014, 07:18 PM   #1

New to digital

I've been a long time photo buff and I'm currently using a Pentax SF10 but I'm thinking of going digital I'm trying to decide between the K-50, K5 or K3. I know they all have auto features, but can I still override and do manual on them? Will my old lenses and Cokin filters still work. Sorry but I've been using the same camera for a long time now.

07-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gusislazy Quote
I've been a long time photo buff and I'm currently using a Pentax SF10 but I'm thinking of going digital I'm trying to decide between the K-50, K5 or K3. I know they all have auto features, but can I still override and do manual on them? Will my old lenses and Cokin filters still work. Sorry but I've been using the same camera for a long time now.
Welcome Gus! Yes you can go manual with all those cameras. If money were no object you could go K3. There are terrific deals on the K50 these days - the money you save getting this over the K3 can go towards some exciting new lenses. Yes, cokin filters will work fine. I use them on the sigma 10-20 with my DSLRs. Welcome again!
07-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #3

Just to add to what mccarvindh said above, your old lenses should mount on the camera just fine, since all off the cameras you mentioned still use the same mounting system as your SF10 (Pentax's K-mount). However, auto-focus and auto-exposure may or may not work correctly for each lens depending on it's classification ("A," "F," "M," "FA," etc.). You can find the different classifications in the reviews section to see feature-compatibility (Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database - scroll down about a page or so). Of course, none of this matters if you want to go full manual - that will always work (you might have to change a setting or two in the camera to get started, but they're quite easy to change).

Last edited by johndny; 07-22-2014 at 07:42 PM.