Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #1

Wasn't looking for a new camera.

The other day there was a flyer from a local camera store chain in the newspaper. I wasn't really thinking about upgrading but they have the K-50 with kit lens for $499 and the K-5IIS body only for $799. This got me to thinking and I'm wondering if I should get rid of either my K200D or K-m and move up to the K-50. I get the impression the K-5IIS is a great camera, I just don't use my camera enough to justify the higher price.

I would love to hear peoples' opinions on upgrading. I'm leaning towards keeping the K200D and getting the K-50 to replace the K-m.

07-22-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Either of the cameras would be a very big upgrade. The main advantage of the K-5 IIs is better ergonomics, faster burst shooting, and low-light AF; the K-50 is a bit better for video and live view shooting as it's got a newer CPU. If you don't shoot that much, I'd go with the K-50: it's essentially the current equivalent of the K200D.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-22-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't think you would be sad if you upgraded to either my Pentax experience only goes as far as the k-50 and I love it well over 10000 shots since May this year hasn't missed a beat.
07-22-2014, 09:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The main advantage of the K-5 IIs is better ergonomics, faster burst shooting, and low-light AF; the K-50 is a bit better for video and live view shooting as it's got a newer CPU.
Woah there, Adam. The K-50 sucks for video just like the K-01 does.
The K-5II has much cleaner video and uses sensor shift SR when you need SR, not that dogs breakfast of a software SR..
The K-5II may have less manual control for video, but the output bitrate is higher and the codec is better.
I also find the K-50 insanely good in low light, AF is possible in near darkness. But I haven't tried the K-5II for low light.

07-22-2014, 11:03 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I also find the K-50 insanely good in low light, AF is possible in near darkness. But I haven't tried the K-5II for low light.
Then you'll love the K-5 II- it can focus in near darkness.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-22-2014, 11:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have a K-30 (almost identical to the K-50 in specs) and K-5IIs. The focus peaking in the K-30/50 is a big plus for using manual lenses, or if you use live view a lot, and the camera is no slouch. The K-5IIs AF faster in low light, and with the higher burst rate, a better camera for sport and action photography, plus you have the option of adding a grip to it for better balance with heavy lenses...
07-23-2014, 03:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If you sell the K-m and kit lens you get some cash back, too. The 16MP sensors are very nice, and the K-50 gives you modern features like video, focus peaking and its WR. Maybe you don't need a new camera, but if you get the K-50 now, it will last you a good while.

07-23-2014, 03:00 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I upgraded from the KX to the K-30, I have been so happy with the upgrade.
07-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback so far. I've been doing a bit more research and I see that the K-50 is roughly the same size as the K200D. I like the slightly smaller size of the K-m. I know how much love there is for the K200D on this forum and I have been very happy with it but I'm wondering if I should keep the K-m and buy the K-50 to replace the K200D. Maybe I'm just thinking too much.
07-24-2014, 07:27 PM   #10

Original Poster
So, I went to the camera store that had the K-50 advertised at $499 today. When they told me how much they would give me for my K-m as a trade-in I decided not to do the deal. After making a couple of other stops on my way home I decided to check the price at a different camera store chain nearer to where I live. Their price for the K-50 was $629 but they gave me double the trade-in value for my K-m and matched the other store's selling price. Bye bye K-m, hello K-50! Now the learning, and fun, begins. The battery is charging as I type this.
07-24-2014, 11:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

That is awesome news I am sure you will have heaps of fun I wish I could find me a store like that here in Toowoomba 😜