Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2014, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-50 Electrical Issues

I am about to send my 3 month old K-50 back to Ricoh for diagnosis and repair. I have an intermittent issue that sounds just like the one reported here. The problem manifests in a couple of ways - the camera acts goofy - exposures are all over the map and the shutter fires slowly. The pictures turn out blurry and overexposed. In addition the menu is not predictably responsive. At one point I turned the camera OFF and the display stayed on showing the exposure info etc. Removing the battery sometimes resolves the problem for hours - other times it has little impact. The problem appears most often when the battery is midway drained or lower but can occur with a fresh battery. I have seen the issue with Ni-MH as well as the native Pentax LiON battery. BTW I am running firmware 1.02 which is the latest available from Ricoh for this camera.

Because of the intermittent nature I am going to try to capture it happening using my camera on my cell (video) and have that available to show to Pentax. I will let everyone know if there is anything of interest reported by Ricoh but I suspect they will just replace it without commentary.

BTW - if anyone is sending items for service they are in the process of moving (relevant only early August 2014) and they cannot receive items at the old or new location until 8/10 or 8/11 per their support line.

08-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bradshea Quote
I am about to send my 3 month old K-50 back to Ricoh for diagnosis and repair.
Good! It sounds like the main board or something similar is trying to die. I hope they are able to make your camera right in a reasonable amount of time.

Steve
08-07-2014, 02:56 AM   #3

Same happened to my k30 two days ago. Strange behaviour, buttons not working, unable to turn off, mirror kind of stuck., etc.
Solved it changing the original battery for 4 eneloops.
09-16-2014, 01:23 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Still in Limbo

Pentax shifted their warranty work to Precision Camera in CT - but apparently they are a bit overwhelmed. My camera was received on 9/2 but they have not yet gotten to it due to a backlog of Pentax warranty work - just my luck. If anyone sent anything to them during this time be aware their phone system is odd. I called and selected customer service only to have it ring over 10 mins before it suddenly went on hold. A few minutes later someone picked up. The person I spoke with was very nice and helped me get all my information into the system - but since I had sent all of this with the camera I'm not sure why none of it was updated in their online tracking system.

In any case, I had tried waiting on hold two times before for nearly 10 mins each time and I had entered an online request for help twice without results before today's call. I'm hopeful that this is not the norm but the BBB data shows a pattern of slow responses and frustrated customers - that the company has addressed successfully each time so it looks like a company overwhelmed with volume and perhaps not so up to date systems vs. one that doesn't care.

Holding steady but missing my camera...

09-16-2014, 04:06 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Precision Camera in Enfield Ct does not have the best reputation for customer service here in New England! No communication with customers . Bad news for Pentax extended warranty customers . Good Luck and keep us posted .
09-18-2014, 10:35 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffw Quote
Precision Camera in Enfield Ct does not have the best reputation for customer service here in New England! No communication with customers . Bad news for Pentax extended warranty customers . Good Luck and keep us posted .
What a shock... I'm still not showing up in the online "check repair status". Sigh.

Oh and this is not for extended warranty only - this is for any warranty. My camera body is still under original 1 year coverage.
09-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This sort of behaviour can be caused by condensation inside the camera. I saw it a few months back on my old K100D (donated to daughter), but 2 days in an airing cupboard with the lens loosened fixed it. If you don't think condensation is possible in warm weather, you ought to see inside our Sky remote - sopping wet from sweaty hands every time I take it apart to clean it. Perhaps it's just a U.K. thing though.
09-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
This sort of behaviour can be caused by condensation inside the camera. I saw it a few months back on my old K100D (donated to daughter), but 2 days in an airing cupboard with the lens loosened fixed it. If you don't think condensation is possible in warm weather, you ought to see inside our Sky remote - sopping wet from sweaty hands every time I take it apart to clean it. Perhaps it's just a U.K. thing though.
Camera is very dry typically despite weather sealing - but I live in humid conditions. Changing lenses in the field etc.
Seems pretty bad if true however given the expected use of the camera...

09-19-2014, 08:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bradshea Quote
Camera is very dry typically despite weather sealing - but I live in humid conditions. Changing lenses in the field etc.
Seems pretty bad if true however given the expected use of the camera...
The only way to completely stop the bad electrical effects of internal condensation isn't just weather seals, the circuit boards have to be sealed with conformal coating as used in military gear and no commercial manufacturer has ever done that to my knowledge - the cheap switches used in all cameras would be difficult to protect for a start. Your issues may not be condensation at all, but I would try drying it out nonetheless on the basis that it costs nothing
09-19-2014, 10:28 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
The only way to completely stop the bad electrical effects of internal condensation isn't just weather seals, the circuit boards have to be sealed with conformal coating as used in military gear and no commercial manufacturer has ever done that to my knowledge - the cheap switches used in all cameras would be difficult to protect for a start. Your issues may not be condensation at all, but I would try drying it out nonetheless on the basis that it costs nothing
I'm not faulting your logic - just worried that the design is such that it HOLDS the moisture in if any infiltrates...
I can't try drying it - it's at Precision Camera still... no word as yet. Sigh.
05-20-2015, 09:09 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I can't recall the exact date but soon after the previous post I got my camera back. (September 2014) Precision had it for over 3 months but the repair was successful.
05-22-2015, 04:11 PM   #12

Glad you were reunited with your camera! Any word on what the issue was?
05-22-2015, 09:11 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boatwidow Quote
Glad you were reunited with your camera! Any word on what the issue was?
According to the paperwork the aperture control block was replaced. Seems a common failure on the K30 and K50.