Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #1

New K-50, something moves inside the body

Hi all,

Pentax newbie here.

I took delivery of a new K-50 (with 18-55 kit lens) from Amazon a few days ago and I'm very pleased with it in my short time with it. It's going to replace my trusty Olympus E-520.
I had also purchased in advance a used manual prime Pentax 50mm F1.4 and this combo put my Olympus with a prime Sigma 30mm F1.4 to shame in some quick low light pictures I took for comparison.

Now, regarding the subject of my post. If I rotate the K-50 (from landscape to portrait) I feel, and hear, something move inside. It's very subtle and I didn't notice it the first couple of days. Only when handling it late at night was that I noticed it. At first I thought it was the kit lens but this faint "wobble" I hear and feel happens with either lens and also with no lens attached. Is this normal? There was no damage I could see to the outer box when I took delivery of it. Everything seems to be working but I'd like to hear from other owners in case I need to exchange it.

08-11-2014, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's the sensor assembly you can hear. It floats in a magnetic field, that's how the sensor based shake reduction works.
08-11-2014, 01:03 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

You're not a real Pentaxian until you get your first Pentax DSLR and go, "What the hell is that?" Congrats!
08-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
That's the sensor assembly you can hear. It floats in a magnetic field, that's how the sensor based shake reduction works.
Ah, great to know. Thanks for the prompt response!

---------- Post added 08-11-14 at 04:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
You're not a real Pentaxian until you get your first Pentax DSLR and go, "What the hell is that?" Congrats!
Thank you.
I like it. I'm in the club!

08-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You must have missed this sticky post in the technical trouble section.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/941...ntax-dslr.html
Enjoy your new Pentax!
08-11-2014, 01:57 PM - 3 Likes   #6

Original Poster
I'm digging this forum. Rookie starts a thread with a question that's been asked a lot and the veterans are helpful and supportive.

Thanks all.
08-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This forum is a much nicer place than other internet camera forums.

We expect all members to treat each other with respect and be helpful and welcoming to all.

When there is an aberration it is usually quickly reported and addressed by the moderators, but there are some threads that can deteriorate.

Feel free to use the 'ignore' functions when needed. Enjoy.
08-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KramerTC Quote
something moves inside the body
That's the question answered, alls well , don't panic 'till we do, enjoy your photography with this new piece of kit.

08-15-2014, 08:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Something I'd like to mention on this topic is that I have owned 2 Pentax K30 bodies, both which functioned perfectly and both had low shutter counts, but one of the camera's shake reduction system moved around a lot more than the other one. I chalked it up to different batches or a discrepancy in manufacturing tolerances.
08-17-2014, 03:52 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery
I too have two K30 bodies, but the "shaking inside the body" is more noticable on the one with LOW BATTERY... after charging, all is back to normal. that's what i noticed.
11-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rp_dxn Quote
I too have two K30 bodies, but the "shaking inside the body" is more noticable on the one with LOW BATTERY... after charging, all is back to normal. that's what i noticed.
That's right ! Mine does the same with some cheap batteries from Ebay , or when the battery is fading and nearing a recharge state.......I liken it as a warning to a "check the battery" notice.
11-30-2014, 07:04 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Hey folks!

WHEW! I am SO glad I found these threads before making a fool of myself and posting yet another on the exact same subject!

I recently took possession of a K-r (384 shutter actuations!) and noticed the "shifting" movement inside the body as soon as I took it out of the box. I thought for sure something was wrong and was going to send it back! Luckily, with a quick search I found multiple (and very entertaining) threads explaining the phenomenon.

So, thank you. After a lot of research, I look forward to finally using the camera & finding out exactly how good it is.

Dave

Last edited by twigfarm; 01-25-2015 at 07:48 AM.