Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
A blurred background can help your subject stand out, but that subject needs to be sharp. Check out Timmijo's shot of the dragonfly (Green Dragonfly - Pentax User Photo Gallery), it was made at f8, but because she's close to the subject, the entire dragonfly is sharp, yet the background is blurred helping it to stand out even more. Had she used f2, only a small portion of the dragonfly would be sharp, and it would blend in with the background, much like your spider shot.

Try it yourself, shoot the same object from the same distance, not re-focusing, and changing only the aperture, and you'll see what I mean.

The more you "experiment", the more you'll learn and the more your photos will improve!

Hope this helps, Photography is a great hobby, have fun with it!!
Oh wow that's really sharp! I need to stop following the book and follow the "f/2 is the best for bokeh" rule and test things out!

Hey mate thanks for all the advice

08-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #32
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by whk1992 Quote
Oh wow that's really sharp! I need to stop following the book and follow the "f/2 is the best for bokeh" rule and test things out!

Hey mate thanks for all the advice

Glad I could be of some help.
Do some reading on Depth of Field and Macro / Close Up photography for better insight, and shoot, shoot, shoot!
08-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by timmijo Quote
That was so concise and very helpful.

About the flash: It makes a great "fill flash" if you are shooting outdoors in strong light. I primarily use it to illuminate my macro subjects if the sun is strong. Also, for people outdoors (or even animals or birds), a little fill flash goes a long way, hence the -2 setting.

For macros, if I use flash, I almost always use an interfit diffuser, like this one: Strobies Small On-Camera Diffuser
Or you could go for one of these if you want something small that will fit in almost any pocket

3 Color Pop Up Flash Diffuser for Canon Nikon Pentax Contax Panasonic Olympus | eBay