Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #1

CA and Distortion Control on K-30, K-50

i am thinking about purchasing a K-30 or K-50. i now own a Olympus PM-2 with a Oly 14-42 mk1 and Panny 20mm f1.7 lenses. this set up has worked wonderfully for me but i like the idea of a weatherproof camera. my question is, are the K-30 and K-50 able to internally correct CA and lens distortion of Pentax lenses?

08-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, internal corrections are applied to jpegs, including the embedded jpeg in a raw file.

Jack
08-22-2014, 09:04 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, as long as you're using a DA, DFA, DA L or FA Limited lens series.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-22-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

And one thing to remember, not all Pentax lenses are weather proof so keep this in mind if WR is important to you.

08-23-2014, 03:54 AM   #5

Original Poster
CA/Distortion

thank you all very much. now all i have to do is decide if i really want to change systems seems a real challenge just for the advantage of WR. again, thank you all.
08-23-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can find a used K-30, K-5, or K-50 for a pretty low price nowadays. The 18-55mm WR is the cheapest way to get a WR lens. While the kit lens is not terrible, its not amazing, either. Be careful, though, there are a couple different 18-55mm versions and some are not WR. The 18-135mm WR (in depth review here) lens is much more beloved on these forums, and it has a better zoom range. This lens can be found for a good price when its bundled with a camera.

Pentax cameras allow in-camera corrections like CA correction and distortion correction, shadow correction and highlight protection. These are only applied to jpegs (Except the highlight protection, which is a little different), and they take some processing power. Some more modern Pentax DSLRs have other corrections as well (vignetting and diffraction, if I remember right). You can choose jpeg modes (vibrant, black and white, landscape, portrait) and digital filters (selective colour, cross processing, etc.).

Besides WR, Pentax cameras have some other specialties, like the green button (an extra button that can be customized, very handy), in-body SR (shake reduction works with all lenses, even non-Pentax or 50 year old manual lenses), TAv mode, and K-mount (you can mount even lenses from the 60s and they will work. Of course, if they were made before autofocus was invented, they won't have AF, etc.). Pentax also makes many high quality compact primes (the "limited" series)
But I think a big criteria for you should be how the cameras feel in your hands. Its best to go to a store or meet up with someone who has this camera and see how it feels in your hands.