Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2014, 04:25 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-50 green Button in Manual Mode not working

When in Manual mode with a fully manual lens K-50 green button does not work like in KX and others previous models

08-31-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

What is your green button configured to do in Manual mode (in the menu, look for E Dial programming)?
08-31-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Hi Paul

Sounds like you have used manual lenses already so don't ned to be advised to turn use aperture ring - on etc.
There have been a number of threads on this sort of thing, for example:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-pentax-beginners-corner-q/263047-k-500...-lenses-m.html

and I remember perusing a thread or two talking about probs with K50/K30...not sure whether a reason/answer was arrived at. Do some browsing.
08-31-2014, 04:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PaulAsahi Quote
When in Manual mode with a fully manual lens K-50 green button does not work like in KX and others previous models
What in particular are you trying to do? Are you wanting to do stop-down metering with lenses that don't have the "A" contacts on the mount or are you just wanting to use regular open-aperture green button metering with an "A" contact lens? (I know you said fully manual lens, but that means different things to different people.)

What is it that is not working as you expect?

Steve

---------- Post added 08-31-14 at 04:56 PM ----------

...playing mind reader here:
  • Are you trying to use a K-mount lens having a painted base? There is a known issue where stop-down/green button metering will not work unless the base is conductive.
  • Are you trying to use a M42 (screw mount) lens having a painted base? Use Av mode and it should work fine.
  • Are you wondering where the meter scale readout normally visible in the viewfinder went? Disable the electronic level for the optical viewfinder.

Steve

08-31-2014, 05:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
Hi folks,
Thanks for the reply, I'll explain it better.
I'm a Pentaxian from the early 1969. I still have my old lens and some machines. I passed by several pentax models.
I have a 55mm 1:1.4 (no mA position) That I love to use. I have an adapter when using it with digital bodies. I have an Kx where I use it in Manual mode: When I press the green button I have the exposure set. I just acquired a K-50 yesterday ,green button is programmed for P. But when I press it nothing happens. So different behavior in Fx and F50 when it should be the same. In Av it works fine.

---------- Post added 08-31-14 at 08:44 PM ----------

Yes my base is painted but I never had that issue with my Fx
08-31-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Turn off AutoISO.
08-31-2014, 06:10 PM   #7

Original Poster
Hey guys! I scratched out the paint and it is working now. But why It worked before (with the paint on) in the Kx?

---------- Post added 08-31-14 at 09:11 PM ----------

Yes Auto ISO is off already
09-01-2014, 03:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PaulAsahi Quote
But why It worked before (with the paint on) in the Kx?
Because someone at Pentax for some reason decided to change how the green button behaves between the Kx and K-50. At least you were willing to try to see if it made a difference. One or two others with problems refused to believe that the electrical contact could make a difference and weren't even willing to try a simple and non-desstructive test like putting some metal foil over the contacts.

Glad you solved the problem.

09-01-2014, 04:09 AM   #9
Site Supporter

My experience is with K-r and K20 (samsung GX20)

On K-r with black painted mount, green button does not stop down - no mechanical noises. But it DOES set a shutter speed.

On K20 green button always (tries to) stop down with the sound of the mirror raising etc.

But behaviour in converse with eg a PKA tc with a black painted mount see review of viv 2x tc, or of jessop extension tubes.