Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2014, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #1

got my k50 (im in love ha ha )

in red of course.. i love it. had a slr a long long time ago over 30 years ago but eventually stopped using it. did a lot of research before buying . it was between the d5200 and the k50 . the weather resistance sold me plus the excellent resource of this forum. oh we are going to have some fun with this bad boy. i will be taking pics when its snowing outside for sure nature photography interests me anyway. one thing u see right away is how solid the body is glad i went with pentax

norral

09-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #2

Congratulations. I'm sure you are going to love it. My history is much like yours. I used film SLR's starting from 1977-85. I bought my K-50 6 months ago.

I'm sure you will figure it all out but something that worked really well for me was using the TAv mode. This lets you use the front dial/wheel to adjust shutter speed and the back wheel to adjust aperture. I found it very much like using my old Minolta SRT 201. In the TAv mode the ISO (film speed) will adjust to the accommodate the shutter/aperture setting you have selected.

Take your time and have fun. Only in the last month do I feel comfortable with the various features of the K-50. Learning one new feature at a time might make the learning process easier. It did for me.

And yes, the forums here are a great resource! Post some pictures when you get a chance.
09-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdog2590 Quote
in red of course.. i love it. had a slr a long long time ago over 30 years ago but eventually stopped using it. did a lot of research before buying . it was between the d5200 and the k50 . the weather resistance sold me plus the excellent resource of this forum. oh we are going to have some fun with this bad boy. i will be taking pics when its snowing outside for sure nature photography interests me anyway. one thing u see right away is how solid the body is glad i went with pentax

norral
Congratulations! Don't forget to doiwnload the manual in pdf from the Ricoh website, it's searchable and that makes it really nice to look things up when you don't know where they should reside in the manual. Have fun!
09-05-2014, 01:22 AM   #4

Original Poster
thanks a lot for the tips guys. will def post some pics soon . dont think i will be getting much sleep tonight ha ha with reading the manual and all . excited

09-06-2014, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm waiting my k-50 too !
09-06-2014, 07:34 AM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

I also was a DSLR user many years ago, then went to "point & shoot" cameras. Now, I also am getting the K50 in a few months! The images posted on this forum are so outstanding from what I'm used to on other forums, that I know I've made the right choice! Plus as mentioned, this forum is exceptional for sharing/helping fellow members!

Carol
09-06-2014, 09:14 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Normally, I do not pick up extended warranties. That said, Pentax has a 2 year extended warranty (total of 3 years), for an additional $20. This also includes a cleaning. You really can't go wrong on this.
09-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

I for sure will be adding the extended warranty! My current camera bought last November is on it's way back to be serviced, as the lens stuck. I was very upset, however it pushed me to look at Pentax! I'll just sell the one when it returns from the service center, and then start going for my K50!

09-06-2014, 11:56 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

Congrats bigdog! I have a Red K-50 too. My first DSLR. Its been a lot of fun and a great DSLR to get started with.
I have had it out in light and medium rain. The weather resistance is great feature, especially at this price.
Can't wait to see some photos. Have fun.
09-07-2014, 03:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulation! I got a K-50 white in August, and I've been using that, my first DSLR, a lot daily.

You might want to start trying out the user interface customization to find settings that best fit your needs.
09-19-2014, 06:52 PM   #11

i want to have a RED K-50 too.. waiting for the bundle price at adorama to go down..