Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2014, 01:30 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 12
Manual Mode issue on K-30

Hello everyone !
In my previous post I was wondering whether I should buy the K-50 or the K-30. Enventually I bought the K-30, and enjoyed it.
But today I got an issue. Here it is :
I have a SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, M42 mount, and I use the Pentax M42 to K adaptator. I authorised the use of "diaphragm ring" (not sur about this term, english is not my native langage). I selected the right focal lenght, and set the Manual Mode. But when I use the "Green button", nothing happend. When I use the liveview, the Green button works perfectly, and set the correct shutter speed.
Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is there an issue ?

I hope this is understandable ...

09-07-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,875
You are using an m42 lens, the camera cannot affect its aperture/diaphragm.
Make sure your camera is in M mode on the mode dial and that ISO is an number, not Auto ISO range. It must say M on the LCD screen if you are in M mode. Otherwise it is Av
Anyway, use the camera in Av mode and stop down the lens (aperture ring on lens) when you take the photo. You don't need green button metering, because that type of metering is stop down metering - something a digital camera cannot do with an m42 lens. So, Av mode, lens at lowest f-number to focus, then stop down to what you want. You should notice the viewfinder getting darker. In Av mode, the camera will automatically adjust shutter.
09-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 4,263
In the menu the green button should be set to Tv shift in Manual and Tav mode. Although in English the menu selections should be in the same places:

Using K-30 With Older Lenses | Ricoh Imaging Support
09-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,483
I don't own the K-30, but if I remember correctly there is an issue on both the K-30 and K-50 where green button metering in M mode fails if the lens base is non-conductive. That would include almost all M42 screw-mount lenses as well as some K-mount glass. In that case, Av mode should work, no green button required. BTW, the link posted above at Ricoh Imaging is how it is supposed to work, unfortunately not everything works as intended or as published.


Steve

09-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 12
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
You are using an m42 lens, the camera cannot affect its aperture/diaphragm.
Make sure your camera is in M mode on the mode dial and that ISO is an number, not Auto ISO range. It must say M on the LCD screen if you are in M mode. Otherwise it is Av
Anyway, use the camera in Av mode and stop down the lens (aperture ring on lens) when you take the photo. You don't need green button metering, because that type of metering is stop down metering - something a digital camera cannot do with an m42 lens. So, Av mode, lens at lowest f-number to focus, then stop down to what you want. You should notice the viewfinder getting darker. In Av mode, the camera will automatically adjust shutter.
I know that camera cannoct affect aperture, for this I use the aperture ring.
And the thing is that when I'm in liveview and using the green button, the camera set the perfect shutter speed. But in optic aim, it does nothing. I tried with my old K200D, same parameters, and the green button works fine (I mean it set the correct shutter speed).
In Av it is sometimes a bit underexposed, most of the time actually.

---------- Post added 09-07-14 at 11:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
In the menu the green button should be set to Tv shift in Manual and Tav mode. Although in English the menu selections should be in the same places:

Using K-30 With Older Lenses | Ricoh Imaging Support
It was on P Line, I'll try with the Tv shift (I'm pretty sure I already tried, but I'll try again).
But what I don't understand is why does it work in liveview but not in optic aim ...

Last edited by Rayak; 09-07-2014 at 02:20 PM.
09-07-2014, 02:26 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,275
QuoteOriginally posted by Rayak Quote
Hello everyone !
In my previous post I was wondering whether I should buy the K-50 or the K-30. Enventually I bought the K-30, and enjoyed it.
But today I got an issue. Here it is :
I have a SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, M42 mount, and I use the Pentax M42 to K adaptator. I authorised the use of "diaphragm ring" (not sur about this term, english is not my native langage). I selected the right focal lenght, and set the Manual Mode. But when I use the "Green button", nothing happend. When I use the liveview, the Green button works perfectly, and set the correct shutter speed.
Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is there an issue ?

I hope this is understandable ...
You have to set the green button to Tv shift, then all will be good.

About live view: it works because the camera uses the sensor to meter rather than the viewfinder's metering system.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 12
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You have to set the green button to Tv shift, then all will be good.
Unfortunately no, it doesn't work ...
09-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 4,263
Yes, it could be the data pin not shorted plays a factor.

09-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #9
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,483
QuoteOriginally posted by Rayak Quote
Unfortunately no, it doesn't work ...
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Yes, it could be the data pin not shorted plays a factor.
I did a little look-see and found several threads regarding the conductive base issue including the one from just over a year ago that applies specifically to your case (Super Tak + K-30). The thread is a little long. I took part as did "Not A Number". The conclusion is that you can sand down your lens base* or simply use Av mode.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/230...g-problem.html

The problem is found on the K-r (mixed reports here), K-01, K-30, and K-50.


Steve

* Not easy to do, the paint/anodizing is very hard. There is also some risk of throwing off infinity focus if you over do it.

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-07-2014 at 03:59 PM.
09-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 4,263
Some people have tried making a collar/gasket from an aluminum beverage can and sanding off the paint or coating on that. The thickness of the aluminum may be enough to throw off infinity focus. The plus with a gasket is that it would cover the openings on the adapter with narrow mount M42 lenses. You'll just have to try and see.
09-08-2014, 01:19 AM   #11
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 12
Original Poster
I think I'll use Av mode, I don't really want to damage my lens.
Thank you very everyone for your help !
09-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #12
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,483
QuoteOriginally posted by Rayak Quote
I think I'll use Av mode, I don't really want to damage my lens.
Thank you very everyone for your help !
Enjoy!
09-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #13
Site Supporter
6BQ5's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nevada, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,109
I use Av mode and my OVF in cases like this. My only gripe is that the exposure metering can be way off because the body doesn't know the aperture setting. Once you "learn the lens" at different aperture settings then you know how much exposure compensation, positive or negative, to set. It works quite well in that case. That eliminates the need for pressing the green button.
09-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #14
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5
I think this might help solve your confusion. I am quoting from a thread:

"K-30, K-50, K-500 and K-01 users: make sure you also set your green button "action in M/TAv Mode" to Tv SHIFT. This is found under the button customization menu (page 3 of the main menu) on the K-01 or as a custom function on the K-30, K-50 and K-500. Also, avoid auto ISO.

Now, let's discuss metering. Since manual lenses don't feed aperture data to the camera, the only way for the camera to check how much light is being passed through the lens is to measure the light while the lens is stopped down. Follow this procedure to properly meter with a screwmount, M, or K lens:

0. Ensure that the "Using Aperture Ring" custom function is set to "2 (allowed)" (K-30/50/500/01 users must also ensure that the green button is configured to Tv Shift in M/TAv Mode) as described above

1. Set your camera to M mode using the mode dial (your camera won't fire in other modes*)

2. Compose and focus your image.

3. Using the aperture ring (the ring at the very back of your lens; it will have numbers such as 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8 written on it), select your desired aperture setting. Note that the smaller the aperture number is, the more light passes through the lens, and the blurrier the out of focus areas of your photograph will be (and vice-versa).

4. [Screwmount lenses only] Switch the diaphragm clutch on your lens to "Manual" (you can leave it on Auto when composing and focusing if you don't want a dark viewfinder).

5. Measure the light by either pressing the "Green Button", or pushing your power button to DOF preview mode (only available on select bodies). Your camera will automatically set the shutter speed for you.

All that's left now is for you to press the shutter release button to take your photo."

You can read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...#ixzz3CslA5QHH
09-09-2014, 09:54 PM   #15
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,483
QuoteOriginally posted by sup3rm2n Quote
I think this might help solve your confusion. I am quoting from a thread:

"K-30, K-50, K-500 and K-01 users: make sure you also set your green button "action in M/TAv Mode" to Tv SHIFT. This is found under the button customization menu (page 3 of the main menu) on the K-01 or as a custom function on the K-30, K-50 and K-500. Also, avoid auto ISO.

Now, let's discuss metering. Since manual lenses don't feed aperture data to the camera, the only way for the camera to check how much light is being passed through the lens is to measure the light while the lens is stopped down. Follow this procedure to properly meter with a screwmount, M, or K lens:

0. Ensure that the "Using Aperture Ring" custom function is set to "2 (allowed)" (K-30/50/500/01 users must also ensure that the green button is configured to Tv Shift in M/TAv Mode) as described above

1. Set your camera to M mode using the mode dial (your camera won't fire in other modes*)

2. Compose and focus your image.

3. Using the aperture ring (the ring at the very back of your lens; it will have numbers such as 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8 written on it), select your desired aperture setting. Note that the smaller the aperture number is, the more light passes through the lens, and the blurrier the out of focus areas of your photograph will be (and vice-versa).

4. [Screwmount lenses only] Switch the diaphragm clutch on your lens to "Manual" (you can leave it on Auto when composing and focusing if you don't want a dark viewfinder).

5. Measure the light by either pressing the "Green Button", or pushing your power button to DOF preview mode (only available on select bodies). Your camera will automatically set the shutter speed for you.

All that's left now is for you to press the shutter release button to take your photo."

You can read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...#ixzz3CslA5QHH
Now try it with a Super Tak on the K-30 or K-50 or K-01. It won't work in M mode unless the lens base is conductive.


Steve
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture, av, button, camera, issue, k-30, k-50, lens, m42, menu, mode, mode issue, pentax k30, pentax k50, shift, shutter, tv
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using K Mount Manual Lens on K-30, K-50? Relativity Pentax K-30 & K-50 11 07-08-2014 04:05 PM
M mode on K-30 with 50mm DA lens Kevin Wnuk Visitors' Center 8 06-21-2014 07:54 AM
Manual Mode stuck on Pentax K-30 picnic100 Visitors' Center 1 05-10-2014 07:33 PM
K-30: Lost Manual Mode on E-Dial knightzerox Pentax K-30 & K-50 7 12-06-2013 11:31 PM
Aperture ring with manual lens on K-30 Tsuken Pentax K-30 & K-50 12 11-30-2013 09:19 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:50 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top