Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-08-2014, 09:21 AM   #1

Batterygrip for k-50?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi im about to dump my K-50 that i bought in Febuary mainly becouse there is no batterygrip to be had for it
But i figured i should ask one last question here before i do...
what Pentax model that you can get a batterygrip for is most like the K-50 in bottom profile? since i dont care about the extra power or vertical shutter button, i just want a batterygrip for the extension it brings giving the camera a decent grip. As to now in original form i have to "hook in" my right hand pinky underneth the camerabody like it need extra support underneth and i just cant get used to that. ive tried becouse i love the K-50 its awesome for a newbie like me.
so is there a Pentax grip that is similar in profile to the K-50? or any grip from another brand?
since ill open it up and remove the connectors ect and just use the "housing" to attach it for a better grip...
wouldnt mind a grip that uses the same size batteries or as close as possible so i can use the space to house my extra batteries...

hoping for some good news so i can keep my K-50 but if not there will be a prestine K-50 with 18-55mm + 50-200mm WR linses + a bunch of extras for sale here in Sweden

09-08-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I understand your question correctly you do not want a battery grip, just an extension that makes the k-50 a little taller so your hand fits?

Not sure any manufactured grip will work, however any decent wood worker could fab up something to do the job, something in walnut or cherry wood would look awesome. And they could custom fit it to your hand. If you are not into wood, I think someone could 3-d print a 'grip extension' that would work.

Actually an interesting project. I might take a look at building one. My pinkie slips off as well
09-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #3

Original Poster
yeah that would work for me but at the same time if i could find a grip that fits acceptable and that uses batteries if the same size or pretty close to the K-50's batteries would be perfect then i could fit my 2 extra batteries in the grip for storage
09-08-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sourcenemy Quote
yeah that would work for me but at the same time if i could find a grip that fits acceptable and that uses batteries if the same size or pretty close to the K-50's batteries would be perfect then i could fit my 2 extra batteries in the grip for storage
If upgrading body to K-5ii or K-3 is none-option for you...
I use UltraFit hand strap from Joby which comes with ultraplate, which does not extend body too high, but allow me to grip the camera effortlessly for strolls.
I'm not sure how your pinkies will behave with this, as my hand is small and K-5 / K-50 fits perfectly, but it could add a good support without adding bulk to camera.

09-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #5

Original Poster
id love to get a K-3 but not an option since im on disablity :/
Ill have a look at that handstrip and see if that might be an option cheers
09-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #6
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
Seeing this thread reminded me of that K-30 thread where the OP modded a D60 grip to fit his K-30. They went to great lengths to make the batteries work, etc., but like you, I mainly want the added size so my pinkie would have some place to sit. So with that being said, I just ordered one off of eBay for $15 shipped. I can't locate a single thread anywhere that has a person trying this on a K-50, but I figure for the low price, it's worth a shot. I'll post back on this thread if it actually fits, and doesn't look too ridiculous. There was pretty good information in modding in some features (shutter release, battery use from grip) in that thread, so if you are a good DIY person, could be worth a shot at trying to do.
09-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
Seeing this thread reminded me of that K-30 thread where the OP modded a D60 grip to fit his K-30. They went to great lengths to make the batteries work, etc., but like you, I mainly want the added size so my pinkie would have some place to sit. So with that being said, I just ordered one off of eBay for $15 shipped. I can't locate a single thread anywhere that has a person trying this on a K-50, but I figure for the low price, it's worth a shot. I'll post back on this thread if it actually fits, and doesn't look too ridiculous. There was pretty good information in modding in some features (shutter release, battery use from grip) in that thread, so if you are a good DIY person, could be worth a shot at trying to do.

What grip did you order?

09-08-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sourcenemy Quote
What grip did you order?
Went for this one (generic D60 grip):

Meike MK D60 Battery Grip for Nikon D40 D40x D60 | eBay

Price was right, and I saw in that K-30 thread where they put some tacky pads on it, to better adhere to the camera. They key seemed to be to NOT get a grip that had a ridge running around it, as that ridge would interfere with the mount. But if you take away that ridge, then you are relying on just the main screw to keep things together. Some grippy-type pads seemed to help, so I'm sure I'll be doing that.

I know that the K-50 has a different shape than the K-30, so I'm hopeful that the reason I haven't seen any K-50/grip projects...is because it doesn't work -- lol

---------- Post added 09-08-14 at 12:35 PM ----------

Here's the thread, if you were interested.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/216730-battery-grip-pentax-k30.html
09-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #9
Closed Account

Sorry for the lag here. Received the grip in the mail, took it apart so I could remove the battery insert designed for the Nikon body, and screwed it on. Mixed bag, but no regrets for $16.

Good

- width of grip matches up pretty well with K-50 body width
- stays in place like a champ with a couple small pieces of non-slip bathtub tape

Not as good

- is really lightweight without any weight in it (AA batteries rattle around inside, so you would need something else that wouldn't be so annoying)
- grooves in grip don't quite match up with the K-50 grip, so it feels a little weird with your finger resting on it. Think it will just take some getting used to.
- definitely needs the non-slip tape to keep the grip in place. Without it, you either need to tighten the dial too much (would eventually break, I think), or you'll get movement with prolonged shooting

So a bit if a mixed bag, but like I said -- worth the $16 bucks. I've only shot around the yard with it, and while it does feel light without a pair of batteries inside of it, I think it is fairly comfortable, and easier to steady while taking shots. I'm at work right now, but will post a picture of it installed, later on tonight.
09-17-2014, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

while it does feel light without a pair of batteries inside of it,
Easy enough to add some lead fishing sinkers or other weight with a little epoxy glue to keep the from rattling. Getting the balance just right might be tricky...
09-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #11
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Easy enough to add some lead fishing sinkers or other weight with a little epoxy glue to keep the from rattling. Getting the balance just right might be tricky...
Great idea, and agreed. I'll see what I have out in the garage tonight.
09-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great idea, and agreed. I'll see what I have out in the garage tonight.
If you really wanted to get creative you could make a mold and pour either lead or aluminum into the shape of the batteries
09-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #13
Closed Account

If you really wanted to get creative you could make a mold and pour either lead or aluminum into the shape of the batteries
Or I could fill the cavity full of glue, or something like that. Fun possibilities for a workaround
09-17-2014, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or I could fill the cavity full of glue, or something like that. Fun possibilities for a workaround
Hmm, you could fill it with jelly beans and have something to snack on while shooting
09-17-2014, 07:50 PM   #15
Closed Account

Hmm, you could fill it with jelly beans and have something to snack on while shooting
Now we're talking