Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2014, 08:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's a Pearl!!!!

Ruby just got herself a sister.

I picked a supposedly pristine used white K-30 up for a song this morning. Just over $300 shipped. Actually it was only about $25 more than I paid for my third unfortunately dud E-P3 that I just had to return. I finally got refunded for that so I figured hey why not? I was actually thinking of getting either another red one or a white one to backup Ruby at some point.

I wasn't really planning on it till next year but then I saw this one and it was listed at a criminally low price so I put it in my cart and hoped it would stay there until I got my refund on the E-P3. Fortunately it did. I'm not really out all that much more than I have been with buying the E-P3, shrug, and this is probably far more practical for me than the 3rd E-P3 was right now. It was probably a good thing in the end that the E-P3 was a dud. My work kit is now pretty much finished except for picking up the 18-135mm WR at some point.

I'm calling the white K-30 "Pearl" for obvious reasons. I don't know if it's got a flat finish or a crystal one but I guess it doesn't really matter so much with the white. I never really thought I was into white cameras much but then I got the white E-P3 and I really liked it and it made me start looking at the white K-30 a bit differently. Plus I've got the whole ruby, white and black striped Oz thing going on with my bag, straps and all. This little camera will fit right in, grin...

09-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where are you getting these? Overstock.com?
09-10-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't use Overstock very often. They have some good deals but I prefer Amazon, KEH, B&H, Adorama, etc. I buy most of my gear used but in "Like New" condition usually. Honestly both times it was a question of being in the right place at the right time, keeping tabs on things, spotting it when they listed it, putting it in the cart, and being a little patient. Both times they dropped the price a little just to get me to follow through and actually buy it. I usually do wait a little even though I realize that waiting might cost me the thing I want because these days they're charging tax and I don't particularly want to pay that on top of whatever they are asking.

9 times out of 10 if I wait they will drop it enough to take care of the tax and a little more besides and it makes it a much better deal for me. There's always another one listed at the same or better price sooner or later. If I don't get that particular one another one will show up eventually. It nearly always does. I originally had a personal budget of $400 or less per K-30 used or $500 or less new. I stayed well within that budget both times. In fact I was on the very low end of it both times and because of that I was able to buy my 2 WR lenses which I also picked up used for a lot less.

I shopped around. I kept tabs on who had what used or new and for what. I was patient and I waited till one well within my budget presented itself. I'm a fierce bargain shopper. I'm like that with everything. I don't pop and spend my $$$ until I am sure it's what I want and I can afford it, and even then I want the best deal I can get. I will wait if I have to to get it too.
09-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Fedexp can't decide if it wants to deliver Friday or Saturday apparently. I knew I should have chosen 2 day mail, sigh. No proper location updates since it shipped and the delivery date keeps changing every few hours. Last night it said "out for delivery" and gave me Sat instead of Friday, but this morning it's back to Friday even as it says "out for delivery" again. I just hope this is not one of those swap it to the local PO packages. At the rate it's going I just might end up with the white K-30 mid next year sometime....