Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #1

K-50 auto exposure issue

On auto exposure I don't get good reading, and if I switch to live view I get a good reading. For example, I turn the camera on in P mode and hold the shutter button down and get a reading on the back 1/4 sec f4 at 200 iso (I'm indoor at night pointing towards my computer screen) and exposure bar looks fine, then I switch to live view and it goes to 1/100 sec f4. Same thing happens outside, and I have to look at live view and either shoot that way or switch to M and adjust settings in live view than shoot through the view finder.

I feel like there's something wrong with the camera or (because I'm a newbie) I don't know how it works

Appreciate and feedback advice or questions

09-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What exposure mode are you using?
Spot = very tiny part of the center of the image is being used, can result in big changes in exposure if you move the camera just a tiny bit
Center = reads the entire image but gives priority to the center portion
Matrix = reads the entire image
09-12-2014, 06:31 PM   #3

Original Poster
First one (top one), believe it is matrix But why would it be sooo underexposed compared to live view? I have shot 35mm for twenty years, and finally talked my wife into a "real" camera, but she said only if she can take pictures without thinking about it. Now, i have to set it up for her to take pics.
09-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ma.s Quote
First one (top one), believe it is matrix But why would it be sooo underexposed compared to live view? I have shot 35mm for twenty years, and finally talked my wife into a "real" camera, but she said only if she can take pictures without thinking about it. Now, i have to set it up for her to take pics.
If you want to set it up so your wife doesn't have to think about anything, try setting the top mode dial to AUTO (green) and just let her fire away.

09-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
that's the problem, she can't. If it is on AUTO and you turn the camera on, it severely underexposes. If you hit live view, everything is just fine, IF you shoot in live view. If you click off live view, it reverts to extreme underexposure. Even though it shoots severe underexposure, the meter shows perfect exposure. am I missing something, or should I call Pentax (warranty), the camera is only five months old and has exhibited this behavior since i got it.

---------- Post added 09-12-14 at 10:51 PM ----------

sorry - have too correct my post - it isn't underexposure, but very very long shutter speeds. Like when you turn it on, back lcd says 1/4 sec, when you live view it is 1/125

very weird, at least I think
09-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Certainly doesn't sound right. Gave my wife a K50 last month, she shoots in green mode only, photos are fine.
09-13-2014, 07:24 AM   #7

First thing I would do is Check the Pentax site, see if there is a firmware update for your camera.. When I bought my K5 IIs New in Feb, you would think it would be up to date.. Wrong.. Had 2 Firmware updates to the camera in 1 st month had it.. Good Luck, Call Pentax for sure..

09-13-2014, 12:56 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've found that my cameras (K-5, K20D) shooting normally, consistently underexpose to some extent, anywhere from 1/3 to 1 stop. This is not an issue for me as I mainly shoot in 'M' mode.

How I work:
I put the camera in Live View, hit the green button to meter, exit Live View and then commence to shoot.
09-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 737george Quote
First thing I would do is Check the Pentax site, see if there is a firmware update for your camera.. When I bought my K5 IIs New in Feb, you would think it would be up to date.. Wrong.. Had 2 Firmware updates to the camera in 1 st month had it.. Good Luck, Call Pentax for sure..
Would you mind posting a photo of the same scene taken with the viewfinder and with Live View along with the EXIF info? That should give some good clues as to why you're seeing this problem.
09-13-2014, 05:29 PM   #10

Original Poster
Photo 173 is taken green auto, live view, F5. 1/60sec. iso200 - and it is what I would expect

phot 174 is taken green auto, live view switched off and the display calls out F5, 1/2sec, iso200

It is the same for outside pics and in other modes

---------- Post added 09-13-14 at 08:31 PM ----------

woops - first one is live view, second is when switched off live view
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
09-13-2014, 05:50 PM   #11

Suggest you call Pentax Monday, send these photos to them, with all the data you have. Have you tried a total Camera reset? Try that and make sure you have the lastest firmware update, check again if still same problem send for repair. Some software issue for sure. Good Luck..
09-13-2014, 06:12 PM   #12

Original Poster
Will do - been meaning to, but thought maybe I'm not thinking of something.. experienced 35mm SLR guy, but this is my first DSLR. And really had to convince the wife to to let me get it, and now i have to set it up for her... She's not happy

Check out my soccer slideshows with my K-50, google "gators sc red 00 fall 2014" - now keep in mind that I digitally zoom in proshow gold quite a bit, because soccer parents aren't too critical when it comes to quality and clearness... lol

I will reply with the outcome of talking to Pentax
09-13-2014, 06:20 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just another thought, does this happen only in 'green mode' or can you duplicate in Av for example?

I just tested this on my k-3 pointing at my monitor and I get a very slight (1/20sec vs 1/30 sec) difference. Small enough it might be me moving the camera. So what you are experiencing is very odd. I suspect there is a valid answer, I just have no idea what it could be.
09-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #14

Original Poster
Av mode the same ... live 1/60 5.6 200 and .4 5.6 200 through viewfinder

---------- Post added 09-13-14 at 09:28 PM ----------

OO how do I get exif info?
09-13-2014, 06:53 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ma.s Quote
OO how do I get exif info?
Shoot a jpg and do not edit it with an external editor, the EXIF is contained in the jpg file. It reports all the camera settings. look at your post above with the pictures and click on the "view picture EXIF" button. This will show a very small subset of the info contained.

An external viewer like EXIFtool or EXIF viewer will show a lot more. Most photo editors will also show the EXIF information.