Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ma.s Quote
Av mode the same ... live 1/60 5.6 200 and .4 5.6 200 through viewfinder

---------- Post added 09-13-14 at 09:28 PM ----------

OO how do I get exif info?
One more to try... a regular daylight landscape shot in P mode.

09-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #17

Original Poster
So, do you think a firmware update might do it?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Last edited by ma.s; 09-16-2014 at 04:05 PM.
10-09-2014, 05:55 PM   #18

I think I have the same problem. I have noticed in auto mode it seems to go to night portrait mode if you are indoors at night. With the flash down it seems to take ok images then when you raise the flash it changes the iso to a slower speed and increases the shutter speed to a point that makes it impossible to get a decent image. I had an istdl (an older pentax dslr) and never had any problems like this. I like the the auto mode for when the kids do something cute or Xmas morning. It is also the mode my wife uses. I just got the k50 2 weeks ago and am wondering if I made a mistake or if there is something wrong. So far I have updated the firmware and tried every setting there is. I was going to go back to the camera store and see if there is anything I am doing wrong. So far my fix is to set it to the moving kids mode. This seems to take somewhat decent images, however I have a nikon point and shoot that unfortunately seems to take significantly better images in the auto mode. I am not dissing pentax. I have had pentax cameras for 30 years and loved them. Please let us know if pentax has any solutions.
10-09-2014, 07:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dually13 Quote
I think I have the same problem. I have noticed in auto mode it seems to go to night portrait mode if you are indoors at night. With the flash down it seems to take ok images then when you raise the flash it changes the iso to a slower speed and increases the shutter speed to a point that makes it impossible to get a decent image. I had an istdl (an older pentax dslr) and never had any problems like this. I like the the auto mode for when the kids do something cute or Xmas morning. It is also the mode my wife uses. I just got the k50 2 weeks ago and am wondering if I made a mistake or if there is something wrong. So far I have updated the firmware and tried every setting there is. I was going to go back to the camera store and see if there is anything I am doing wrong. So far my fix is to set it to the moving kids mode. This seems to take somewhat decent images, however I have a nikon point and shoot that unfortunately seems to take significantly better images in the auto mode. I am not dissing pentax. I have had pentax cameras for 30 years and loved them. Please let us know if pentax has any solutions.
I suggest you put the camera into P mode and see if you continue to have problems. Scene recognition algorithms aren't perfect and this move would take all of that out of the equation. If you choose to do this, let us know what you find.

10-10-2014, 04:15 AM   #20

Thanks Ichabod I will try tonight.
10-11-2014, 06:23 AM   #21

Ichabod I tried it last night and the results were the same. In fact in every mode I tried when the flash was raised the shutter speed slowed down. I am looking into contacting pentax now. Thanks for the suggestion.
10-11-2014, 06:52 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dually13 Quote
Ichabod I tried it last night and the results were the same. In fact in every mode I tried when the flash was raised the shutter speed slowed down. I am looking into contacting pentax now. Thanks for the suggestion.
Tell us some more. In P mode, what are the speed, aperture, and ISO readings with the flash down and with the flash up (for the same scene)?

On my K-3, I just went outside and composed a shot. With the flash down, my camera was ready to shoot at 1/500 sec. Raising the flash, the speed dropped to 1/180 sec which is exactly what I would expect.

10-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #23

I'm having the same issue with my K-30. Has just come up recently after having it about 10 months. I'm living overseas and out of warranty so would appreciate if anyone is able to find a solution.
10-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #24

I have the same problem with my k-30. Overexposure with all modes metered by viewfinder. Acceptable exposure when metered by sensor (liveview). Metering is usually ok when im using flash. I have my firmware updated but the problem persist. Im currently shooting in manual, i meter (green button) with liveview on, then engage the viewfinder afterwards. I havent brought my camera to the service center yet. Please share if you already found the solution to this problem. Thanks.ü
10-14-2014, 04:09 AM   #25

Ichabod, I will be trying to get the information you requested tonight. It has been crazy busy here.
10-14-2014, 05:18 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Originally I had the random, severe under exposure problem as reported in previous threads. My K-30 was sent for repairs and returned with a complete new mirror box replacement. Since then I get constant exposure, but a consistent 2 step under exposure, using the VF. It might be a problem that was carried over to the K-50....? As long as it's constant, it's fine as you learn to compensate for it, and live with it, but I'm definitely not satisfied...
10-14-2014, 06:32 AM   #27

Its a constant overexposure. Worse with matrix metering. The problem is it varies from 1.5 to 3 stops overexposure in my unit.
10-14-2014, 07:10 AM   #28
Veteran Member

LV 1st and VF 2 nd.......seems to be just the opposite of the OP's problem

Let me put it this way, I won't mind if my K-30 comes to a sudden and violent death, in a way that'll lead to an insurance replacement with some other camera

Last edited by altopiet; 09-10-2016 at 10:34 PM.
10-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #29

Okay Ichabod, first let me say thanks for your time so far. I would have done this last night but we were out of power. In p mode 1/50 at f 4.5 iso 12800. All I did was raise the flash and the shutter speed went down to 1/30 at f4.5 iso 400. Not to complicate things but another thing I noticed is the color is off as well. I told you I had a nikon point and shoot earlier I believe it is a p5100 I took a the same picture with both cameras and the difference was astounding. The point and shoot in auto mode had no problem getting a relatively nice image. My new dslr (k50) had poor color and a out of focus image due to low shutter speed. I looked at both images on a computer to make sure it wasn't just the screen on the camera. Sorry to be a pain. Just curious if there is anything that can be done.I have had pentax cameras for over 25 years and have nevery been disappointed. Thanks again for your time.
10-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by ma.s Quote
On auto exposure I don't get good reading, and if I switch to live view I get a good reading. For example, I turn the camera on in P mode and hold the shutter button down and get a reading on the back 1/4 sec f4 at 200 iso (I'm indoor at night pointing towards my computer screen) and exposure bar looks fine, then I switch to live view and it goes to 1/100 sec f4. Same thing happens outside, and I have to look at live view and either shoot that way or switch to M and adjust settings in live view than shoot through the view finder.

I feel like there's something wrong with the camera or (because I'm a newbie) I don't know how it works

Appreciate and feedback advice or questions
My K-50 does the same thing in all modes. I first noticed it in Manual mode when I would press the green button to get a suggestion from the camera and it was 1 stop different between the live view and the view finder and if you took a picture with the suggested settings then the view finder mode was underexposed by 1 EV. Live view mode gives a more accurate exposure reading. It is the same in all the other modes too now that I have checked them. I will check them during the daytime tomorrow. I am sure that they will be the same.

The best way to tell is to go into Manual mode and be in Viewfinder with the status screen and then press the green button to get a suggested starting point for a 0 compensated exposure setting. Then just go to live view and you will see that the light meter is indicating 1 stop underexposed. The reverse can be done too and the viewfinder mode with the status screen will indicate an overexposure.

I guess it may be time to contact Pentax Service and see if there is a firmware fix for it yet. I did do a firmware upgrade shortly after I got the camera, mine is V1.02.