Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Quickest way to change ISO when using focus point

Hello.

In choosing a focus selection point with the four-way arrow button on the K-30, is there a quick way to change ISO other than going into the menu or info button? (The "up" arrow button is no longer for ISO while focusing this way.)

Thanks

09-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What about TaV mode? Let the camera do it.
09-16-2014, 10:18 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by timmijo Quote
Quickest way to change ISO
I used to just put a different film in, it worked well that way for years.
09-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

You should be able to program on of the e-dials to ISO control.

09-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Set the right button customisations and in Av mode you can set ISO with the front wheel and toggle between Auto ISO and manual with the green button and wheel.
09-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Why not change to auto ISO on the fly by hitting the green button? P mode is properly the easiest, you control shutter on the front dial, control aperture on the rear dial and then hit the green button, you get TAv mode...
09-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Program your e-dial. I have mine set so the front dial is ISO in all modes that offer that. So in Av mode front=ISO rear=aperture. in Tv mode front=ISO rear=shutter speed
09-16-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies; I will get to working on it. I just had a blast in Program mode this morning (which almost made the K-30 act as a point-and-shoot) but sometimes I do not remember what I did to get the settings to do that. It's a fun ride, though, upgrading to a K-30 from a K-r.

09-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #9

Using auto iso is a problem when you need everything to stay the same. I shoot a lot of my daughter's indoor volleyball. With contrasting uniforms, white balls, varied backgrounds, the exposure gets fooled.

So, I set everything to manual and go. With limited indoor lighting, I do have to tweak things. I too use the selectable focus points as it's better to focus on the lower part of the body than the face.

I just hit the info button, turn a wheel to 5 point, select ok, make the iso tweak, then switch back. It's kind of a pain, but does work getting the exposure dialed.

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Why not change to auto ISO on the fly by hitting the green button? P mode is properly the easiest, you control shutter on the front dial, control aperture on the rear dial and then hit the green button, you get TAv mode...
09-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ziscwg Quote
Using auto iso is a problem when you need everything to stay the same. I shoot a lot of my daughter's indoor volleyball. With contrasting uniforms, white balls, varied backgrounds, the exposure gets fooled.

So, I set everything to manual and go. With limited indoor lighting, I do have to tweak things. I too use the selectable focus points as it's better to focus on the lower part of the body than the face.

I just hit the info button, turn a wheel to 5 point, select ok, make the iso tweak, then switch back. It's kind of a pain, but does work getting the exposure dialed.
OK, I am sorry, I don't have the k-50 nor the k-30.... may be that is the work-around. Are you using matrix metering mode? and you select AE locked regardless of AF points? and you can also limit your auto-ISO to under 800 or 1000, and you can also use EV compensation... many ways to skin a cat; you just need to use the methods convenient to you... without having to go through heaps of manual settings (advantage of Pentax DSLR).
09-17-2014, 04:57 AM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by timmijo Quote
Hello.

In choosing a focus selection point with the four-way arrow button on the K-30, is there a quick way to change ISO other than going into the menu or info button? (The "up" arrow button is no longer for ISO while focusing this way.)

Thanks

Check pg.165 in the manual, "Setting the Raw/Fx Button, AF Active Area", perhaps this may help. Or, pg. 103, you can hold the "OK" button to toggle "select" off / on, returning use of the 4-way buttons.

Last edited by Al_Kahollick; 09-17-2014 at 05:05 AM.