Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-18-2014, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I pulled the trigger yesterday

A new K-50 with the 18-55MM and the 50-200mm lenses is on the way. I have spent the last few weeks comparing prices and mulling color choices and I finally found one that I felt was a good fit. I ended up getting the basic black after thinking long and hard about the white body model. I have seen them listed from just under $400 for the body only to over $800 for a kit consisting of the body, a lens and a few accessories. At $550 I think I did OK. I also considered the K-500 but in the end settled on the K-50 because of the weather sealing and a couple of viewfinder features that are missing from the 500.

This is my birthday gift so it will be some time before I can actually get it out and start using it but in the meantime I can think about accessories and lenses. I did pick up a set of Vivitar extension tubes on Ebay. I would like to have gotten the ones that support all the electronics but those are a little pricey for no more than I would use them. I am perfectly content with manual focusing and stop down metering.

I intend to make a regular pest of myself over then next few weeks and months.

09-18-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You stole it! I paid I think around $700 for my K50 with the 18-135 lens. You will not regret your purchase.
09-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's a really nice kit to grow into!

---------- Post added 09-19-14 at 12:57 AM ----------

With those tubes you probably an aperture ring on the lens to control the aperture and both your lenses sadly lacks it, yours needs electronics to do it. You can always buy a cheap manual 50mm for use with the tubes though, and a lot of othe shooting.
09-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
A new K-50 with the 18-55MM and the 50-200mm lenses is on the way. I have spent the last few weeks comparing prices and mulling color choices and I finally found one that I felt was a good fit. I ended up getting the basic black after thinking long and hard about the white body model. I have seen them listed from just under $400 for the body only to over $800 for a kit consisting of the body, a lens and a few accessories. At $550 I think I did OK. I also considered the K-500 but in the end settled on the K-50 because of the weather sealing and a couple of viewfinder features that are missing from the 500.

Congrats! and a good deal!

QuoteOriginally posted by bradshea Quote
You stole it! I paid I think around $700 for my K50 with the 18-135 lens. You will not regret your purchase.
THAT's a steal!!

09-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
That's a really nice kit to grow into!

---------- Post added 09-19-14 at 12:57 AM ----------

With those tubes you probably an aperture ring on the lens to control the aperture and both your lenses sadly lacks it, yours needs electronics to do it. You can always buy a cheap manual 50mm for use with the tubes though, and a lot of othe shooting.

I've got a SMC 50mm manual lens that will do the job I think.
09-18-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Then it's a good to go!
09-18-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I also considered the K-500 but in the end settled on the K-50 because of the weather sealing and a couple of viewfinder features that are missing from the 500.
Great logic, Dakight ... have fun!

09-18-2014, 06:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Great logic, Dakight ... have fun!
I think that great logic is why Pentax seems to be a bit disappointed with the K-500 sales, it simply doesn't make any sense to buy it in most cases.
09-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #9
Closed Account

Very nice, and a great price too. I paid around $800 for that same kit (in white) back in February. While I don't use either of the lenses these days, they were definitely a great place to start. Looking back at "what I know now", I would have bought used from the Marketplace, and really save some money. I was nervous and new, and was afraid to spend so much on items that I didn't really understand -- lol. Moving forward, when you start adding to your lens kit, be sure to take a look in the Marketplace. I've only had great dealings with the folks here, and there is definitely money to be saved.

Have fun!
09-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that great logic is why Pentax seems to be a bit disappointed with the K-500 sales, it simply doesn't make any sense to buy it in most cases.
Yeah, maybe the K-500 was a token product aimed at retailers ... just to get the mindshare of have an offering at the low end, not to really get a genuine income from.

Perhaps the 645Z is such an example at the high end? (Whistles nervously).
09-18-2014, 06:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Well the 645Z is backordered due to production not keeping up with the demand.
09-18-2014, 09:27 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Well the 645Z is backordered due to production not keeping up with the demand.
But how many millions are coming off that conveyor belt each day, VoD? :-D

Companies hide or bury sales figures as much as shareholders will put up with. :-)
09-19-2014, 08:09 AM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is my birthday gift so it will be some time before I can actually get it out and start using it but in the meantime I can think about accessories and lenses. I did pick up a set of Vivitar extension tubes on Ebay. I would like to have gotten the ones that support all the electronics but those are a little pricey for no more than I would use them. I am perfectly content with manual focusing and stop down metering.

A huge Congratulations! I'm also going to get the K50! I'll be very interested in your future posts re/using your new outfit!
09-19-2014, 09:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I'm anxiously looking forward to getting the new toys out and learning the ropes. Everything I've done in the past was on film so this is almost like starting over. I still have the film cameras and do intend to use them but the digital medium will most likely be the primary focus from here out.