Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2014, 04:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
O-GPS1 and electronic compass on K-30?

Hi, I just got the O-GPS1 tonight and am interested in using it for astrophotography with my K-30. However, I notice in the manual there are supposed to be electronic compass and simple navigation features as well. I can't for the life of me find these features in my menu. I have the latest firmware 1.06. Are these options not available on the K-30? If they are, where do I find them?

Thank you!!

09-18-2014, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Tap "Info" twice and you will see a compass symbol on the far right. Enter that for compass which I find quite useful. The navigation feature was discontinued after the KR and the 5 I believe.
Regards. Frank
09-18-2014, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would call the navigation feature (direction) pretty useless compared to any cheap phone or GPS unit, compass and coordinates can be useful though.
09-18-2014, 04:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A ha!! Thanks so much, fkirby41! The manual was ... not helpful.

VisualDarkness, yes I figured as much, but I just wanted to make sure the unit was not somehow malfunctioning. Now that I know the feature just isn't available, I feel better. It's great to have the coordinates!

09-18-2014, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
The manual was ... not helpful.
The K-30 manual is a little more helpful. It has boxed notes in the section on GPS that cover both how to display the compass and the lack of support for simple navigation.

Steve
09-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The K-30 manual is a little more helpful. It has boxed notes in the section on GPS that cover both how to display the compass and the lack of support for simple navigation.

Steve
Duh. I never thought to check the K-30 manual. Good to know, thanks!
09-18-2014, 05:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I still haven't really got the calibration thing going well, and yea, the manual really sucks as it give no help at all.
09-19-2014, 04:28 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This is one of the accessories I'm seriously considering. Does it work on the K-50? All the official compatibility information that I find ends with the K-5.

09-19-2014, 04:41 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I still haven't really got the calibration thing going well, and yea, the manual really sucks as it give no help at all.
I tested it out last night and was able get a couple 2 minute exposures of the Milky Way before the clouds rolled in. Nice pinpoint stars without any trailing, so I'm happy. Didn't really have any problem with the calibration, other than just having to be very careful not to drop the camera! It didn't even let me finish turning it all all the indicated directions before it said "OK".

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
This is one of the accessories I'm seriously considering. Does it work on the K-50? All the official compatibility information that I find ends with the K-5.
According to the Pentax website, yes... (look under Innovative SR Mechanism)
https://mypentax.ricoh-imaging.eu/en/product/10882/product-detail.hml
09-19-2014, 04:48 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Thanks for the quick reply. After I posted I went to the website and looked at the K-50 manual which gave me the information. So that's one more thing on my "must have" list.
09-19-2014, 04:54 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I got mine new off eBay for $179. Just made an offer and the guy took it. Still feel it's kind of expensive, but if you will use it all the time for GPS, I suppose it's worth it. I don't plan to leave it on my camera for that purpose very often, though. I bought it mostly for the Astrotracer capability.
09-19-2014, 07:29 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Having the location automatically recorded is intriguing but like you, I'm interested in the astrophotography aspect of it.
09-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I bought mine for the astro uses as well, but I've noticed that if youenable it for GPS, you can basically forget you have it on and not have to fret about battery drain or whatnot.

I took a trip a few weeks ago, turned it on about 10AM, used the camera off and on all day, then realized about 10 hours later I'd forgotten all about shutting the thing down.

Whats intriguing about this is I know I've drained my OGPS faster than that before when I've been taking a lot of shots, so the battery life is definitely tied into how many shots you take with it.

Generally speaking I've found two or three fully charged AAA's to be more than enough for a day's use though.
09-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I bought mine for the astro uses as well, but I've noticed that if youenable it for GPS, you can basically forget you have it on and not have to fret about battery drain or whatnot.

I took a trip a few weeks ago, turned it on about 10AM, used the camera off and on all day, then realized about 10 hours later I'd forgotten all about shutting the thing down.

Whats intriguing about this is I know I've drained my OGPS faster than that before when I've been taking a lot of shots, so the battery life is definitely tied into how many shots you take with it.

Generally speaking I've found two or three fully charged AAA's to be more than enough for a day's use though.
That's good to know, Sagitta. Thanks. I just find it kind of ungainly sitting on top of the camera for everyday use. Seems like it would be easy to knock it around. I guess once you get used to it being there, it wouldn't be a big deal. I've been out two nights now and have had pretty good success. Still on the first battery. Guess I've taken about 30 long exposures.

I tried a few five minute exposures and got some minor star trailing. I didn't bother trying to re-calibrate. I just backed it back down to 3 minutes. I found some slight star trails at the edges of the frame. I wasn't sure if that was the lens (Samyang 8mm fisheye) or the device not quite able to do the job. The stars in the center of the frame were pinpoint, so I'm thinking it might have been the lens?
09-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
That's good to know, Sagitta. Thanks. I just find it kind of ungainly sitting on top of the camera for everyday use. Seems like it would be easy to knock it around. I guess once you get used to it being there, it wouldn't be a big deal. I've been out two nights now and have had pretty good success. Still on the first battery. Guess I've taken about 30 long exposures.

I tried a few five minute exposures and got some minor star trailing. I didn't bother trying to re-calibrate. I just backed it back down to 3 minutes. I found some slight star trails at the edges of the frame. I wasn't sure if that was the lens (Samyang 8mm fisheye) or the device not quite able to do the job. The stars in the center of the frame were pinpoint, so I'm thinking it might have been the lens?
The graphic on the camera and in the manual doesn't really show how to do the calibration properly. I've found that you basically need to insure you have turned it over 180 degrees (split into two twists) in the three directions to get the best results.

In other words, hold it in front of you, twist over 90 degrees right, recenter, then over 90 degrees left, recenter, then over 90 degrees up, then over 90 degrees down, recenter, etc.

Also, oddly, I get a better calibration while elevated than at ground level. Standing inside in the bedroom (3rd story of an old, brick 100 year old+ office building converted to apartments) I'll get a tighter track shooting out the window than standing down at ground level outside. I haven't figured out *why* yet, but for me at least it holds true.