Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #1

No noise from the Green Button

I'm not sure I have a problem or not......

I've had my K-30 for around a year. About six months ago I bought my first M lens (the M 135mm). Having asked on here how best to use it, I was made aware of the Pentax miracle that is the 'Green Button'. With my lens on, and the dial set to M, I composed the photograph, pressed the Green Button, and then took my picture. When I pressed the Button, there was a definite noise, I think from the lens, that sounded a little like a shutter click, or a scissor-click, but was, I thought, the aperture blades being moved by the camera.

Recently however I have bought some additional M lenses. I noticed that the Green Button no longer produced the 'scissor click' that I'd heard before. And some of the pictures seem over-exposed.

Perhaps it was just different lenses, so I put the 135mm back on. And there is no longer a 'scissor-click' from that one either.

Does this make sense to anyone? Should there ever have been a 'scissor-click'? Should there be one now?

many thanks,

09-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't have any M lenses, but as I understand it the green button should stop the lens down to whatever aperture you're set. If you set your lens aperture to a mid point, turn the camera around so you can see into the lens then operate the green button you should see the lens stop down.

Could be there are other camera settings to enable stop down, etc.
09-20-2014, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kentishrev Quote
I'm not sure I have a problem or not......

I've had my K-30 for around a year. About six months ago I bought my first M lens (the M 135mm). Having asked on here how best to use it, I was made aware of the Pentax miracle that is the 'Green Button'. With my lens on, and the dial set to M, I composed the photograph, pressed the Green Button, and then took my picture. When I pressed the Button, there was a definite noise, I think from the lens, that sounded a little like a shutter click, or a scissor-click, but was, I thought, the aperture blades being moved by the camera.

Recently however I have bought some additional M lenses. I noticed that the Green Button no longer produced the 'scissor click' that I'd heard before. And some of the pictures seem over-exposed.

Perhaps it was just different lenses, so I put the 135mm back on. And there is no longer a 'scissor-click' from that one either.

Does this make sense to anyone? Should there ever have been a 'scissor-click'? Should there be one now?

many thanks,
Is the green button still mapped to "Tv Shift" in M mode? Check your customization settings. If it isn't (it could have been reset by firmware for instance), then that would be the explanation. Also, if you set your lens to wide-open, it won't make as much noise when the camera tries to stop down.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-20-2014, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Check the ISO - it should be set to one fixed value ( e.g. ISO 100 ) not to AUTO .

09-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you to all of you. It was a combination of the three comments - it wasn't stopping down, then I found the Green Button had reset (quite possibly last time I updated the firmware). And the all important ISO was on Auto. Corrected all points - and that scissor-slice noise is back (and the colours, if not composition, are better again). Many thanks.
09-20-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Glad I was of some help to a fellow Pentaxian ! Happy shooting