Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timmijo Quote
This is in a pro stadium. Next question, forgive me if this sounds stupid, but can I shoot in genuine manual like I used to with my K-r? I got my best shots with the F70-210 attached while using the aperture ring rather than using the A setting. Now, I have a DA55-300 attached to a K-30 and can't seem to match that combination in image quality. Sounds crazy, I know, but I am on a learning curve still, and come to find out, the firmware in the used K-30 I just got has never been updated. Anyway, "manual" on the K-30 is either Tav or Av. When I attach the F70-210, I can get back to that manual mode that I am used to. Maybe I should dig out my old K lenses? What am I missing?
Being a former Delaware resident and having much family there, you've piqued my interest. May I ask what event or venue you're shooting?

09-30-2014, 03:40 PM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
Anyway, "manual" on the K-30 is either Tav or Av.
"M" mode should be a full manual mode.
09-30-2014, 07:06 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ichabod, I have two kids in the University of Delaware Marching Band. I have been shooting during halftime for fun for the past four years there, starting with a Sony DSCH3, then a Sony DSCHX1, then finally! A DSLR—my Pentax K-r. I would upload photos to Facebook in albums so the kids could tag themselves. The band director noticed my work and gave me a spot on the Band's Flickr page.

Lots of pressure to do well, and with a new camera to boot. In addition, I had been resizing and sharpening (b/c Facebook resizes them anyway) and getting those little pictures looking mighty good—but the band director said it is time to show my pictures to the world in their full size. She doesn't realize that the resizing for Facebook helped the quality of the photos to look better than what they actually are.

Anyway, I would like to have something good to show without constantly having to apply luminance to correct grain or layer effects to make a dull photo appear sharp. My goal is to get it right in the camera and not spend my life post-processing in correction mode for Flickr.

I had no intention of using Flickr until this due to its nature of share and share alike (and ease of theft, but that's another issue). I can provide a link to show what I have done so far for the band on Flickr with my new K-30. Hoping to improve after I do the firmware update and more practicing.

Here is a photo I took below the stadium during "circle up" in which the drummers and cymbal players have a good 'ol time just playing for fun right after their halftime show. It is real tight down there, so I brought along my Sears 50mm f1.7 and had to use a bit of flash to brighten things up. I absolutely love the renderings from the Sears prime lens. Shooting the field, though, requires a zoom or long prime. (Click the photo to see the larger resolution file.) https://flic.kr/p/p8DsYQ

Last edited by timmijo; 09-30-2014 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Adding a file
09-30-2014, 10:01 PM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timmijo Quote
Ichabod, I have two kids in the University of Delaware Marching Band. I have been shooting during halftime for fun for the past four years there, starting with a Sony DSCH3, then a Sony DSCHX1, then finally! A DSLR—my Pentax K-r. I would upload photos to Facebook in albums so the kids could tag themselves. The band director noticed my work and gave me a spot on the Band's Flickr page.

Lots of pressure to do well, and with a new camera to boot. In addition, I had been resizing and sharpening (b/c Facebook resizes them anyway) and getting those little pictures looking mighty good—but the band director said it is time to show my pictures to the world in their full size. She doesn't realize that the resizing for Facebook helped the quality of the photos to look better than what they actually are.

Anyway, I would like to have something good to show without constantly having to apply luminance to correct grain or layer effects to make a dull photo appear sharp. My goal is to get it right in the camera and not spend my life post-processing in correction mode for Flickr.

I had no intention of using Flickr until this due to its nature of share and share alike (and ease of theft, but that's another issue). I can provide a link to show what I have done so far for the band on Flickr with my new K-30. Hoping to improve after I do the firmware update and more practicing.

Here is a photo I took below the stadium during "circle up" in which the drummers and cymbal players have a good 'ol time just playing for fun right after their halftime show. It is real tight down there, so I brought along my Sears 50mm f1.7 and had to use a bit of flash to brighten things up. I absolutely love the renderings from the Sears prime lens. Shooting the field, though, requires a zoom or long prime. (Click the photo to see the larger resolution file.) https://flic.kr/p/p8DsYQ
The difference, I believe, between using the ap-ring vs A-mode in Manual mode is that the former uses center-weighted metering instead of the traditional multi-segment metering. Thus, you should be able to get the same affect more easily by using the A-mode on the ap-ring and set metering to center-weighted. Correct me if I'm wrong.