Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #16
Forum Member

Skylight and UV filters are not necessary on digital cameras. The only benefit would be front element protection, and that is debatable.

09-28-2014, 02:43 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
What filters do you actually need?

No point in buying things you don't need.

Filter size is dependent on desired optical characteristics so making them all the same is not possible. I am always amazed Pentax managed to make so many primes with the same 49mm filter.

Which 28-80 did you order? I was not aware Pentax made a 55mm filter size.
I have collected most of the STak or SMCTak lenses and with the exception of the 300/4 all the ones I have are either 49mm (small) or 58mm (big). I think they decided the optical specs having made a constraint decision to fit a certain filter size.
09-29-2014, 07:14 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I would also wait and see if it's even worth it to buy filters for those kit lenses. I had that same kit, and while the image quality wasn't too bad (after I had something else to compare them to), I found myself upgrading them pretty fast. I still have the 18-55 for bad weather when we go hiking, but I sold the 50-200 after a few months. I replaced the 18-55 with a Tamron 17-50, and honestly speaking, outside of a rainy day, that 18-55 will probably never get used again. Just a thought, as good filters can be pretty costly.
09-29-2014, 08:54 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Get yourself a decent set of step up, step down rings. Problem solved. I do have the Cokin system filters and I like them but I honestly don't use them as much now because I have so many post processing filters that can do the same thing. I rarely use UV filters but I do use a circular polarizer sometimes. But I with step ups I can go from 49mm to 55 easily.

09-29-2014, 01:48 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Get yourself a decent set of step up, step down rings. Problem solved. I do have the Cokin system filters and I like them but I honestly don't use them as much now because I have so many post processing filters that can do the same thing. I rarely use UV filters but I do use a circular polarizer sometimes. But I with step ups I can go from 49mm to 55 easily.
Is there a way to use step-ups/downs with a hood?

QuoteQuote:
I thought of just getting adapters but I want to use the hoods with these lenses which will eliminate that option.
09-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The thing is, my initial remarks were made from a viewpoint of someone working with film. I had forgotten about the built in processing ability of the camera itself and the post processing that can be done in software. Digital is an entirely different ballgame and the need for optical filters is lessened if not eliminated. I suspect I'll be very happy when it's all said and done.
09-29-2014, 02:55 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Is there a way to use step-ups/downs with a hood?
Pentax kit lenses all use bayonet lens hoods. The PH-RBC hood has plenty of space to allow a modest step up ring, there shouldn't be any problem at all for a step down. Not sure about the hood for the 50-200.
09-29-2014, 03:10 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Pentax kit lenses all use bayonet lens hoods. The PH-RBC hood has plenty of space to allow a modest step up ring, there shouldn't be any problem at all for a step down. Not sure about the hood for the 50-200.
Excellent point. That means I may be able to share filters between my 16-50 (77mm) and 50-135 (67mm), too.

09-29-2014, 03:20 PM   #24
Veteran Member

One I don't understand is the new 50/1.8 at 52mm ring...
The old FA lenses were 49mm ring so why is the DA 52mm...?

Anyway, buy filters if you know you want them... I have read only the first page so I may be repeating, but I will tell you which filters I use when.. if you like...

I use polarizer mostly with short lens and would be your 18-55. I have occasionally used it longer than 55mm but rarely. So, perhaps see what your uses are before buying two..? Often, the blue sky effect can be easily replicated if you have software that lets you pick and edit colors.. replicated well enough, anyway. Polarizer still needed for cutting glare on stuff.

I use ND filters but I don't use grad-ND. I have a set of the 85mm Hitech but I don't use them... I expose carefully and lift shadows at home. I used the grads with a K20 but not with K5 and, if you care to, the K500 should be just as capable in this respect. A built in grad-ND with the newer cameras...

Also, the graduation of light to dark on the 85mm squares doesn't play nice with small diameter lenses. Oh, they fit well enough, but the transition from light to dark occurs over a distance more suitable to a larger diameter lens like a 67 or 72mm... In my experience, I never got the full effect of the grad... I would have dark to medium dark but the front element isn't large enough for the light portion of the filter to cover... So, not really that effect, I think. I hope I explained that well...

So, solid ND are good for slowing shutter and which you buy depends. I have used ND filters on primarily wide but some short telephoto. Depends... I use them more than polarizer...

If you have an expensive set, you can use step-up rings to adapt them and, for the times you have the ND in use, use a rubber hood. Ugly but can cost less than nice ND... So, ND for 52mm lens. If you want to use it on 49mm ring lens, buy 49-52 step-up, mount the ND, screw rubber hood onto ND filter... if this sounds like an option to.

Thing is, this would put you using the adapted ND + hood on your short kit lens and rubber hoods are better for medium and longer... They come in different types and shapes and fold in/out, but they can sometimes be difficult for the 18mm end. By time you reach 28mm, less trouble, and 35mm = no trouble finding one to fit.

+ okay, try the step-up with 18-55 kit lens hood, first. i have used step-up rings but not on that lens. 24 and 15mm, yes.
10-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
I use step down rings, everything is 49mm now and does not bother the hoods.
This is by far the simplest and least expensive option. That way you only need one filter.

OTOH, I personally prefer to permanently keep a 1A sky filter on all my lenses simply to protect the front glass on the lens. Filters are infinitely cheaper to replace than a lens should you accidently bang the front of the lens against something. DAMHIK !
10-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have a 49-52 step up ring which came with another lens. I didn't even know it was on there until I removed the filter and discovered the ring. I tried it on the 50-200 DA-L and found that the lens hood would not go over it, so that option is out. I might try a step down ring on the 18-55 but at this point I'm leaning toward just getting separate filters. I'd still rather they were the same size, but wishing it won't make it so.