Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2014, 07:49 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm gonna hate this

It turns out that the 2 kit lenses in my K-50 package have different filter sizes. The 18-55 uses a 52mm filter while the 50-200 uses 49mm. Add the 28-80 Macro zoom that I have on the way, with its 55mm size and I will need 3 different sizes of filters. I thought of just getting adapters but I want to use the hoods with these lenses which will eliminate that option. Sooooooo.... I guess I'm stuck with 3 different sizes, 3 times the cost, and 3 times the space in the gadget bag. Would it be too much to ask for Pentax to at least standardize the common kit lenses?

09-27-2014, 08:04 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aren't all lens makers guilty of this crime? I have numerous circular polarizers since all my lenses (Pentax and MFT) take different filter sizes. At least the 10-17mm zoom won't accept a filter!!
09-27-2014, 08:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter

What filters do you actually need?

No point in buying things you don't need.

Filter size is dependent on desired optical characteristics so making them all the same is not possible. I am always amazed Pentax managed to make so many primes with the same 49mm filter.

Which 28-80 did you order? I was not aware Pentax made a 55mm filter size.
09-27-2014, 08:11 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
What filters do you actually need?

No point in buying things you don't need.

Filter size is dependent on desired optical characteristics so making them all the same is not possible. I am always amazed Pentax managed to make so many primes with the same 49mm filter.

Which 28-80 did you order? I was not aware Pentax made a 55mm filter size.

It's an older Sigma 28-80 Macro. I wanted a Macro lens and that fit the bill without breaking the bank.

Yeah, I know that I won't buy a full complement of filters for each lens but there will still be some overlap I'm sure. I'm reasonably sure I'll want at least a polarizing filter for the 2 kit lenses and unfortunately those are the most expensive filters. I think I will need some ND filters as well, at least for the Macro lens and possibly skylight filters.

Last edited by dakight; 09-27-2014 at 08:17 AM.
09-27-2014, 08:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

As was asked in a previous post, what filters do you want?
09-27-2014, 08:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
As was asked in a previous post, what filters do you want?
I realized I hadn't answered that question so I edited the post. Sorry.
09-27-2014, 08:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Um, the DA L kit lenses all use 52mm:
SMC Pentax-DA L 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED Reviews - DA L Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
I guess you got the DA 50-200mm WR, which is WR and comes with a hood, it is slightly higher tier and is not really considered a "kit lens" - and it has 49mm threads. A lot of Pentax lenses have 49mm threads. In fact, the DA L only has 52mm threads so that the kit lenses were unified. The other kit lenses cannot have 49mm, their diameter is too big.
Regarding hood: I think the DA L lenses don't even come with a hood, so putting a step up/step down ring on them shouldn't be a problem, unless you buy a hood. Many hoods are so big they would allow a ring and filter in there. This is why hoods are put on the bayonet on the lens and not screwed onto the filter threads. But if you want a bayonet hood, you need the expensive genuine one or a cheap clone knockoff of the original (which I recommend, you can find them on ebay super cheap, often with free, but slow, shipping from China)
Regarding filters: You don't really need most filters for most uses. Colour filters were to be used with film (black and white film, or to correct flash/tungsten colours). Filters with patters and special effects are really not very popular anymore, especially since many can be faked digitally. UV filters were needed for film, but are pointless on digital cameras, as sensors are not sensitive to UV. You might want a "protection" filter, but it is not needed in most cases. Filters that are still used in the digital age are circular polarizer and ND filter. Pentax is so nice that most hoods come with a hatch so you can spin the filter without removing the hood.
Anyway, while it is true that lenses in some cases could have a unified filter thread size, it is not a big problem and is not limited to Pentax. Usually, Pentax is quite good with filter threads and 49mm and 52mm will cover a wide range of lenses. But keep in mind that there are also physical limitations here, some lenses would vignette if the filter threads were any smaller.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 09-27-2014 at 08:41 AM.
09-27-2014, 08:49 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Um, the DA L kit lenses all use 52mm:
SMC Pentax-DA L 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED Reviews - DA L Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
I guess you got the DA 50-200mm WR, which is WR and comes with a hood, it is slightly higher tier and is not really considered a "kit lens" - and it has 49mm threads. A lot of Pentax lenses have 49mm threads. In fact, the DA L only has 52mm threads so that the kit lenses were unified. The other kit lenses cannot have 49mm, their diameter is too big.
Regarding hood: I think the DA L lenses don't even come with a hood, so putting a step up/step down ring on them shouldn't be a problem, unless you buy a hood. Many hoods are so big they would allow a ring and filter in there. This is why hoods are put on the bayonet on the lens and not screwed onto the filter threads. But if you want a bayonet hood, you need the expensive genuine one or a cheap clone knockoff of the original (which I recommend, you can find them on ebay super cheap, often with free, but slow, shipping from China)
Regarding filters: You don't really need most filters for most uses. Colour filters were to be used with film (black and white film, or to correct flash/tungsten colours). Filters with patters and special effects are really not very popular anymore, especially since many can be faked digitally. UV filters were needed for film, but are pointless on digital cameras, as sensors are not sensitive to UV. You might want a "protection" filter, but it is not needed in most cases. Filters that are still used in the digital age are circular polarizer and ND filter. Pentax is so nice that most hoods come with a hatch so you can spin the filter without removing the hood.
Anyway, while it is true that lenses in some cases could have a unified filter thread size, it is not a big problem and is not limited to Pentax. Usually, Pentax is quite good with filter threads and 49mm and 52mm will cover a wide range of lenses. But keep in mind that there are also physical limitations here, some lenses would vignette if the filter threads were any smaller.

The 50-200 absolutely does have 49mm threads and the 18-55 has 52mm threads; these are the "DAL" lenses that came in the K-50 kit as originally packaged by Pentax.... that's all I know. It's true they didn't come with hoods but the matching hoods are available and I intend to purchase them. It's probably not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but it is an irritation; at least to me.

09-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #9

An option is to invest in cokin system of filters. One set of filter for all your lenses, if you intend to buy neutral density, graduated nd and polarizer for multiple lenses. They are less portable and the polarizer is not as easy to use than the conventional ones, but it might fit your needs. You can also fit a square hood in front of the filter holder.
09-27-2014, 10:19 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Lots of option for lots of budgets from Lee (motion picture industry standard with a price to match), Tiffen (don't see on set as often as Lee but they are there; prices run the gamut), Lucroit (holders & hoods only), Hitech (well regarded affordable filters and holders), Cokin (very budget, mixed reviews of their filters but the hood should fit a some Hitech holders), and others I'm sure.

Use the same filters for all your lenses in a system that is more versatile than round screw mount filters; ND grads for landscape work are particularly useful in such systems. You'll have to purchase a larger circular polarizer but you'll only need one for all your lenses; same goes for any other filters. Even if the price savings is negligible you end up with a more versatile filter "system" that, when expanded, works for all you lenses.

IMO, the Hitech 85mm system is the perfect combination of size and affordability.

Here a link to the Formatt-Hitech site with their prices

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 09-27-2014 at 10:51 AM.
09-27-2014, 10:33 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Ah yes, the new DA L 50-200mm WR has 49mm threads, but the old DA L 50-200mm (not WR) is 52mm. I assume Pentax will replace the 18-55mm lens soon and maybe the next kit lens will be 49mm as well.
And you will find many other irritations in photography Its good that you read up detailed things like filter thread sizes before purchasing hoods, filters and such, so you don't end up buying things you can't use.
09-27-2014, 10:51 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Ah yes, the new DA L 50-200mm WR has 49mm threads, but the old DA L 50-200mm (not WR) is 52mm. I assume Pentax will replace the 18-55mm lens soon and maybe the next kit lens will be 49mm as well.
And you will find many other irritations in photography Its good that you read up detailed things like filter thread sizes before purchasing hoods, filters and such, so you don't end up buying things you can't use.

Well... it wouldn't be the first time.
09-27-2014, 11:15 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I use step down rings, everything is 49mm now and does not bother the hoods.
09-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Cokin filters (and the like by other brands) are a good option if you plan to step up to the DA* lenses at some point (67mm and 77mm thread? What was the point of that?). If you plan to pick up some of the limited primes, go 49mm. The DA 15, 21, 35, 40, and 70 all use the same threading.
09-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It occurs to me that my concerns may be overblown. My experience, such as it is, is in film. I am used to having a fixed ISO value and a limited range of available shutter speeds. My need for neutral density filters may not be as great as I first thought. I'll almost certainly need polarizing filters and perhaps skylight or UV but that's probably manageable. Given that the ISO is just another variable for each exposure and not fixed as with a roll of film, I suspect there is a great deal more flexibility to manage exposure and depth of field with each situation.