Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2014, 02:42 AM   #1

K-r to K30 upgrade

Hi
I am presently considering upgrading from K-r to K30 and would welcome the thoughts of members who have gone down this route,
Thanks,
Tim

09-30-2014, 03:23 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a fairly big upgrade, both in terms of image quality, handling, and features. A no-brainer if you can find a good deal!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-30-2014, 04:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

But also think about the K-5IIs, which can be found for low prices in some locations.
09-30-2014, 07:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I went the Kr to K-30 upgrade route. I have been completely satisfied with the K-30. I have no real desire to get another camera body at this point. Yes, the K5-IIs might be another excellent choice if you can afford it, but since I already have the K-30, the K5-ii and the K-3 don't really tempt me at all.

As Adam said, the difference between Kr and K-30 is huge. Better IQ, better dynamic range, better viewfinder. Better ergonomics, more buttons and less menu-hunting. Plus it's weather-sealed (if you have a weather sealed lens). Go for it!

09-30-2014, 08:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Absolutely get the K-30 or K-50. K-30 is one of my favorite Pentax cams of all time, and I've owned a lot of them.
09-30-2014, 09:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi Tim, welcome to the forum!

The K-r was my first DSLR and I loved it. Once I got to understand my needs/wants a little better, there were some features I really wished it had. Then along came the K-30. It had TAV mode, user modes, 2 thumbwheels (well 1 thumb and 1 finger), and a switch for AFC/AFS/MF. Those usability features alone were HUGE for me. On top of that, I purchased mine with an 18-135WR so I now have a very good all-weather walkaround camera that makes rainy canoe trips and snowy sub-zero outdoor hockey tournaments more fun because I'm the only fool taking photos!

Others have mentioned improved IQ (Image Quality), which everyone always wants, and I'll add to that the tracking auto-focus in select-point mode. Those were things I was hoping would improve my "keeper" rate in youth hockey. Unfortunately, in my hands, the gains were not significant enough to warrant the upgrade based on IQ alone. However, the other things I mentioned make the K-30 the DSLR I've always wanted.

I absolutely LOVE my K-30 and like Loco, I feel no need to upgrade again in the foreseeable future. That said, I think the K-5IIs incorporates everything I love about the K-30 with even better IQ (albeit in a larger and pricier package). So, that's a really good suggestion too.
09-30-2014, 10:59 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies they are really helpful.I've now found a K-5 at not a lot more money, so I am weighing up the decision, but will probably go for the K-5.

09-30-2014, 11:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I would strongly advise against purchasing the k5. One it is a generation older. The k30 essentially improved the white balance and AF compared to k5.
I would seriously look for a used k30-k50/ k5 ii/k5iis.
For around US $500 a K5iis is one heck of a used camera.
09-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just went from a K-r to a K-30, and I am still learning my new camera, but it is worth the upgrade for the viewfinder alone! I had to have a magnifier attached at all times to the K-r's dark, tiny (pentamirror) viewfinder. Thinking I would need another, I ordered the same magnifying eyecup even before the K-30 arrived in the mail. Ha! The K-30's pentaprism makes the viewfinder bright and big enough to need nothing else attached. The viewfinder also offers 100% coverage; what you see is what you get, whereas with the K-r, a little guesstimation was par for the course.

My K-r created some of the best photos I have ever taken, but it was, in all honesty, a little too small in my hands, but I made do with it. The K-30 is a little bit bigger with a deeper grip for my fingers. I am happy that new adventures await me with the K-30, so join the club.
09-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've gone the K-r to K-30 route and I'm a lot happier plus a lot more confident with the camera's performance knowing I can rely on the autofocus
09-30-2014, 09:57 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Johndav Quote
I've gone the K-r to K-30 route and I'm a lot happier plus a lot more confident with the camera's performance knowing I can rely on the autofocus
I too went from the K-r to the K-30. I'm incompetent enough with a camera that the increase in resolution (etc.) doesn't make much difference in the quality of my photos. I do however really like the weather resistance (which I have yet to test being the chicken I am) as rain is a constant companion for six months of the year here.
09-30-2014, 11:02 PM   #12

Photos: Albums
My friend have K-r and it was first Pentax camera i've tryed. After some time of using K-r i bought k-30 and its amazing!)

Also i want to say that k-30 is a son of k-5 (they are almost the same camera). Maybe without 1 or 2 functions. The same system, same sensor and so on. Because of that i dont think that u need to pay more for simple k-5 =)
k-5ii and later version yes, but not for k-5
09-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Timben1964 Quote
Thanks for the replies they are really helpful.I've now found a K-5 at not a lot more money, so I am weighing up the decision, but will probably go for the K-5.
There are plenty of threads discussing the comparison of these two cameras (K-30/K-5). Even though they are a couple of years old nothing has changed.

I had the same inquiry and ended up with a K-5.
10-07-2014, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
On the basis that a year down the line I might regret not pushing the budget I bit the bullet on spending a bit more and have opted for a nearly new K5ii.Awaiting delivery!!
10-07-2014, 06:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Very cool! You'll have to let us know how you like it.