Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2014, 05:55 AM   #1
Forum Member

[K-30] Strange "thing" appears in smaller apertures

Hi all, I have K-30 for some time now and recently strange "thing" started to appear on my pics at apertures smaller than F/4.5. I have SMC 18-55 DA WR and Tamron 17-50 F2.8.At bigger apertures this "thing" does not shows on pictures. It appears at F/4.5 or smaller with both lenses. I used dust removal function several times and it did not make any change. This "thing" appears on every picture, at the exact same place, and at apertures smaller than F/4.5 only.

Here are two shots for example :

F/2.8, 1/1250, ISO 100 - no strange "thing" :

F/11, 1/160, ISO 100 - strange "thing" appears (top right corner) :

This thing happens every time i take shots at apertures smaller than F/4.5, regardles of the lense used...

Please, help me here!

Good day to you all!

10-05-2014, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Have you clenaned the sensor?(rocket blower etc..)
10-05-2014, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Dust. The sensor shake is often not enough to remove a dust particle. First thing to try is a Rocket Blower or similar. For really stuck particles you may need the Sensor Cleaning Kit.

Pentax O-ICK1 Image Sensor Cleaning Kit 39357

Manual Air BlowerCamera Cleaning | Buy, Compare & Review | Adorama
10-05-2014, 06:24 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I see... Can i use alternative for RocketBlower... like something home made?

10-05-2014, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #5

Turkey baster? Just kidding. You need a pretty durable plastic that isn't going to crack and release anything else back into your camera. You should be able to pick up a rocket blower or similar for $10
10-05-2014, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No canned air. You need something that will move a large amount of air suddenly.. A rocket blower has always done the job for me. Remember mirror up and camera facing down so the dust falls out of the camera .
10-05-2014, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Take a picture of say the sky at f22. You will see all your dust. When you stop your lens down, it shows the dust/pollen spots more.
10-05-2014, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

Dust removal procedure in order:
1) Use the camera dust removal system. There is a menu setting to turn on/off. If you have dust run this several times in a row and then check for dust again. I leave mine on "run on startup" and I think that is best so you don't have to worry about it.
2) Use a 'rocket blower' or equivalent to blow off anything the shaker will not get rid of. Do not use compressed air or canned air. Some folks report it is OK to use canned air if you are careful, personally I'm not taking any chances but YMMV.
3) Use a wet cleaning kit. This is the last resort, and on two cameras with over 25,000 actuations in all kinds of environments I've never had to use one yet. Get this if all else fails but don't go there unless you are sure you need it.
4) Send in for professional cleaning. Pentax extended warranty (in the US) includes one 'free' cleaning. Not sure about anywhere else.

Easiest way to check for dust is to set your aperture to f/22 or so and take an image of the sky. Dust on the sensor is more visible at smaller apertures.

10-05-2014, 12:07 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, i used empty shampoo bottle, whash it very good, heated it up to vaporize the small drops inside and than just squeezed the bottle as fast as i can. It cleaned the sensor just fine. Hope i never have to do this again!

Thanks for the Ff22 advice too!

Cheers and all the best! May the focus be with you!
10-05-2014, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Markovo Quote
Hope i never have to do this again!
The point several of us were trying to make when we suggested the rocket blower, is that you WILL need to do this again. It is just part of maintenance for a DSLR camera. Dust will get in an onto the sensor. Setting the dust removal system to run at startup all the time will help, but you will get dust. So it is a good idea to have a blower in your gear bag all the time.
10-05-2014, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Markovo Quote
I see... Can i use alternative for RocketBlower... like something home made?
Not really (and don't try using compressed air!). The rocket blower is really cheap anyway, and your local camera store may have something similar made by a different brand if you can't order one online.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
So i'll buy me a RocketBlower! Thanks for the tips, again!