Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One-Push File format JPEG to RAW+

Silly question, asking anyway. When assigning the function to save a JPEG to Raw+JPEG using the Raw/Fx button, Is it for saving the last photo taken as a RAW+JPEG, or is pushing the Raw/Fx button what I have to do BEFORE I snap the photo that I think/hope will be good enough to save as Raw+JPEG?

Some cameras have a "save last photo taken to RAW or RAW+" option.

I just need to know if I take the photo first, and then push the button; or push the button first, and then take the photo.

(I have it set to cancel-reset after last photo taken).

10-05-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timmijo Quote
Some cameras have a "save last photo taken to RAW or RAW+" option.
I believe the K-50/K-30 do have this feature, though I'm not 100% sure (I know the K-3 does). You should see an icon for it in instant review/playback mode.

Otherwise, you would need to push the RAW button before taking the photo.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-05-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Yes k50 will allow saving last image as raw. While the shot is diplayed right after shooting I can just hit the +/- button and it knows what to do! If display ends just hit play then +/-.

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 10-05-2014 at 04:17 PM.
10-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
I shoot RAW+ all the time and save the Fx button on my K-30 to stop down and preview the depth of field. Using a Class 10 SD card, I rarely notice the lag caused by saving in the additional file format.

This doesn't answer the original question, but I recently noticed that when I switch to JPEG to do a rare in-camera HDR image that I will be given an opportunity to also save the 3 images used for HDR as 3 RAW images.... I likely didn't notice that before because you have to POUNCE on the offer as it only lasts a second or two. Does anyone know how to extend the RAW save offer when doing in-camera HDR?

10-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

In answer to the original question, there are two possible settings for "one push file format" using RAW/Fx. The button can be pushed once to ensure a single exposure, or you can set it up for multiple exposures. Please refer to the manual for the full explanation and illustration. For the K-30, that would be found on Page 166. As a nearly full time RAW+ shooter who uses MF a lot of the time, I also prefer to dedicate RAW/Fx to optical stop down - very convenient.
10-08-2014, 03:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone. I do read the manual, but sometimes it helps to ask if something is unclear to me.
10-09-2014, 07:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
This doesn't answer the original question, but I recently noticed that when I switch to JPEG to do a rare in-camera HDR image that I will be given an opportunity to also save the 3 images used for HDR as 3 RAW images.... I likely didn't notice that before because you have to POUNCE on the offer as it only lasts a second or two. Does anyone know how to extend the RAW save offer when doing in-camera HDR?
Wait, that actually saves all three RAWs for the HDR shot? I only ever get one RAW out of it...

10-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
Wait, that actually saves all three RAWs for the HDR shot? I only ever get one RAW out of it...
Yes. One HDR jpeg and three RAW files are saved .... assuming you are fast enough to hit the button to tell the camera to save the RAW images.
09-08-2015, 06:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Finally found my answer in another thread: The one-push file format JPEG to RAW (a toggle on/toggle off button that MUST BE HELD DOWN for a bit) sets your shot as a RAW instead of a JPEG before you take the shot. if you are in single-frame drive mode, you can do the same thing AFTER taking the shot with the EV compensation button either during instant review or during playback, provided you have not taken any more shots afterward.