Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2014, 01:21 AM   #1

Pentax K-50 and compatibility with film era lenses

Hello everyone!
In two days I will be holding my new Pentax K-50 and I was wondering if my old pentax lenses (SMC PENTAX-M 1:2.8 28mm & SMC PENTAX-M 1:2 50mm) are fully compatible with the camera.

I know that the mount is the same and that they will fit just fine, but I 've heard that in some cases (not with pentax cameras but with nikon or canon) old lenses that do not have autofocus or have an aperture ring may cause short circuit and therefore cause serious problems to the new cameras.

The past year that I spend time reading about pentax cameras and lenses I have never heard or read anything like this being an issue for pentax, but I want to be 100% sure before I do anything.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by vasilis_k1000; 10-06-2014 at 11:01 PM.
10-06-2014, 01:32 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, no problem. See this page: The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart
Your K-50 will work same as a K-30.
Certainly, the two lenses you mention specifically will work without any problems.
10-06-2014, 01:34 AM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vasilis_k1000 Quote
Hello everyone!
In two days I will be holding my new Pentax K-50 and I was wondering if my old pentax lenses (SMC PENTAX-M 1:2.8 28mm & SMC PENTAX-M 1:2 50mm) are fully compatible with the camera.

I know that the mount is the same and that they will fit just fine, but I 've heard that in some cases (not with pentax cameras but with nikon or canon) old lenses that do not have autofocus or have an aperture ring may cause sort circuit and therefore cause serious problems to the new cameras.

The past year that I spend time reading about pentax cameras and lenses I have never heard or read anything like this being an issue for pentax, but I want to be 100% sure before I do anything.

Thanks in advance!
There are no compatibility issues with genuine Pentax lenses. With M and K series lenses, as well as adapted M42 lenses, however, you do have to stop-down meter:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html

A series lenses and newer offer full AE support.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: