Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
10-21-2014, 09:51 PM   #31

It just seems that it will take light in dimmer situations than what causes it to blink sometimes. I had this happen a couple of evenings ago. It was blinking but I was curious and went ahead an forced it to finally take the picture. It was a very high contract picture across water with the sky, post sunset, behind it. Looking at the histogram I noticed the sky was smashed up against the right (overexposed). I think in that case, with full average metering, the camera couldn't resolve the dark and light areas. In fact, the the distance between the darkest and lightest areas may have been beyond the dynamic range. But the average metering of very dark and very light was confusing.

Although I agree with you about the manual I was taking pictures in the same areas without the sky in the frame and getting good exposures with no trouble focusing even though it was darker. This was all happening with the 50mm 1.8 which should not of had any trouble. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see if it is the really high contrast situations that cause it to not focus. If I have time I'm going switch to center spot metering next time and see if that changes things.

It's odd and it is seemingly random but I'm sure there are reasons.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Blink = inadequate light...Its in the manual...

Steve

10-22-2014, 02:59 AM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
People who buy a camera without understanding photography, then whinge about it. Grrrr!
10-22-2014, 04:30 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
People who buy a camera without understanding photography, then whinge about it. Grrrr!
Isn't that why forums like this exist, for people like yourself to share their knowledge with poor unfortunate souls, like me, to help us understand photography or the new technology, which sometimes are a stumbling block for older people coming from the film era?
10-22-2014, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Isn't that why forums like this exist, for people like yourself to share their knowledge with poor unfortunate souls, like me, to help us understand photography or the new technology, which sometimes are a stumbling block for older people coming from the film era?
Altopiet, instead of just asking us questions the OP gave an accompanying sermon he was unqualified to deliver.

Not a winning strategy, IMHO.

"It is only a number in the source code" indeed!

Last edited by clackers; 10-22-2014 at 05:05 AM.
10-22-2014, 05:20 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Blink = inadequate light...Its in the manual...
Exactly - according to the camera's [user set] metering.

To the OP:
Point is, the camera still doesn't know what the photographer is after and it certainly can get fooled in certain conditions.
You can use a light meter and measure the incidence light and see how it differs from the reflective light metering (the only type a camera can measure.)
Check out Mike Browne's videos about metering.
10-22-2014, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

Altopiet, instead of just asking us questions the OP gave an accompanying sermon he was unqualified to deliver.

I think that comes with age, but you are right, the strategy could've been much better. I think some people just get so frustrated, they don't appreciate the time others are wasting to help them...
10-22-2014, 05:27 AM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
the strategy could've been much better. I think some people just get so frustrated, they don't appreciate the time others are wasting to help them...
I suspect you're right, Altopiet.

10-22-2014, 06:34 AM   #38
Closed Account

I suspect you're right, Altopiet.
Ha! Don't suspect it -- know it

I've spent years running/posting in PC help forums, and somebody will come in screaming for help, or sounding off about something they have no clue about; myself (or the forum community) will come to the rescue with help, advice, questions to further the solution along...only to never hear from them again, or even better -- they'll respond to only one of the five questions you asked, or ignore the needed steps to narrow down a resolution. That's when I have to remind myself that I help because I want to, because it definitely isn't very rewarding sometimes -- lol
10-22-2014, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
Ha! Don't suspect it -- know it
Testify, brother!

I'm in IT, and most people (at all levels from management to customer-facing) can be helped, but some are blithely bound up in their own little world.

Last edited by clackers; 10-22-2014 at 04:52 PM.
10-22-2014, 10:25 PM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Testify, brother!

I'm in IT, and most people (at all levels from management to customer-facing) can be helped, but some are blithely bound up in their own little world.
That is why it is sometimes necessary to differentiate between a serious inquiry and a rant. A rant will almost always include elements of self-righteous irrationality. A serious inquiry usually has indication of a lack of experience with overtones of confusion. What is difficult is when there is lack of experience coupled with self-righteous irrationality caused by genuine confusion.

Steve

(...often find myself in the third state when being forced to use tools with inadequate documentation that are ill-suited to the intended use case...I write software...)
10-22-2014, 11:46 PM   #41

Original Poster
So what you are saying, is that before someone can qualify to buy a camera, they must be an expert photographer and an expert technician with cameras, either that they should not buy cameras.

You're a bafoon, and if you have nothing better to say then don't say anything at all. It is people like yourself that put yourself on a pedestal that end up looking like a jackass.

FYI there was an issue with the camera and after talking to Pentax Service they suggested to either send it in for repair or send it back for replacement.

Do you mean to say that you showed up in 1st grade and you already had a PHD degree. Well good for you, but for the rest of the world we had to learn our ABC's.

You're an idiot. First of all, you have no idea what I know about photography and secondly, you also, have no idea as to what I know about cameras. And if you had any knowledge at all you may have detected that possibly there might be something wrong with the camera, but being a total self centered, self serving troll you prefer to belittle be person and try to debunk them.

If you can't contribute to the conversation with something constructive then keep you big mouth shut. People like you make me go GRRRRRRRRR GRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Your personality profile says a lot about who you are. You are the type that trolls around waiting for a chance to flame someone with your cuts and digs, in order to try and boost your own ego and to try make others feel inferior. And the facts are, you probably don't have the real knowledge to interject anything constructive. And we know all about people such as yourself.

People with knowledge can contribute to a conversation for everything else, well, there is you!!!
10-23-2014, 12:03 AM - 2 Likes   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Buckaroo50 Quote
So what you are saying, is that before someone can qualify to buy a camera, they must be an expert photographer and an expert technician with cameras, either that they should not buy cameras....
No, you missed 'whining about it', Buckaroo - point three of a three point premise. Naughty of you to leave that out.

As others have said, there's nothing wrong about someone not knowing how a camera is supposed to work.

It was your pretend-to-know better attitude - the camera's fault, not your ignorance - that was so charmless the responses that followed were predictable.

But I think you've done even better with this tantrum!

"GRRRRR GRRRR"?

Yes, get it all out, Buckaroo ... you'll feel better afterwards.

I reckon you could post here complaining to us all about your display that blinks when you point it at something dark, or you could actually read the manual.

Last edited by clackers; 10-23-2014 at 12:16 AM.
10-23-2014, 12:34 AM   #43

Original Poster

So now I have to meet qualifications that meet your approval before posting. I hardly think so dude.

If you don't like what I post then don't read it.

And for your information, many issues can be addressed with firmware (source code) adjustments. And what is source code other than a 0,1 the most basic level of instruction programming code. Which is often called machine code or machine language.

One service rep called Corporate (I assume to talk to a tech or engineer) and they determined that there was an issue with the calibration within the camera, which need to be addressed. It was not user error and had nothing to do with knowing how to or what to adjust on the camera or even any knowledge about photography.

The things that I mentioned about the flashing lights on the status screen etc was not (as you would put it whining, or ignorance on my part) but in fact abnormal because of inaccurate calibration when the camera left the factory.

Now how does that make you look, Mr Knowitall.

Am I unqualified. Well without a complete history let me just say this. I used to do free lance programming and also trouble shoot source code. My claim to fame was a 5 page cover in PC Magazine featuring one of my projects and considered at the time to be the best in the world. UNQUALIFIED, well, maybe in your eyes. But then again, who are you, some self serving bafoon...

You sure are not going to tell me what I can post or how I should post it, that is for sure.

I am not sure as to who you think you are but one thing for sure, it is inaccurate.
10-23-2014, 12:47 AM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Buckaroo50 Quote

You sure are not going to tell me what I can post or how I should post it, that is for sure.
You post anything you like, mate, we're all adults.

But it doesn't mean you'll get the sympathy or the response you wanted.
10-23-2014, 12:49 AM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

What is difficult is when there is lack of experience coupled with self-righteous irrationality caused by genuine confusion.
Yep, quite a trinity, Steve.

(...often find myself in the third state when being forced to use tools with inadequate documentation that are ill-suited to the intended use case...I write software...)
Yeah ... APIs no one wrote up in detail, I suppose.

As a systems engineer, I get into the foetal position when I realise there are two parties involved in a troublesome issue, both happily pointing at the other without communicating. Hours of joy!