Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2014, 10:06 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Remote for K50?

I see many Remote controls for Pentax; which would you recommend for my upcoming K50?

Thanks!

Carol

10-08-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I brought an eBay one(one button 2-3 dollar version) and it works
10-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Are you more interested in wireless IR or wired remote shutter release? Both are supported and both have pros & cons.

The IR releases are small and travel easily. They are great for 'selfies'. From what I can tell, the range is no better for the official Pentax IR remotes versus cheap 3rd party versions. And speaking of range.... the sun is a huge IR emitter and while it won't fire your camera, it messes with a remote's signal. The brighter and more direct the sunshine, the shorter the useful range of your IR. Battery strength in the remote also impacts range. While you can use a reflector (shortening range), they work best when aimed directly at the receiver on the front of the camera.

Wired remotes don't use batteries unless the remote supports a special feature*. You are not limited by your orientation to the camera, but your range* is limited to the length of the cable (plus any extension cords). Wired remotes take up more travel space than IR remotes. Again, there are a number of very nice 3rd party units that cost very little. Pentax and (most) Canon cameras use the same 2.5mm stereo connector with the same wiring. The sun has no impact on a wired remote.

*speaking of special features... there are a lot out there including intervalometers and wireless. The wireless models usually use a receiver that plugs into the wired socket on the camera and a remote transmitter that uses a non-directional radio transmitter unaffected by the sun. If you have a cell phone or tablet, do a web search for TriggerTrap. You'll be amazed at how many ways you can remotely control exposure on your camera.
10-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #4

I have used two different 3rd party remotes and both work fine or me. They have two buttons. One to fire and another supposedly for adjusting the zoom (which doesn't work and I don't care). I also saw one at Target for 9.99 USD that said it would work with Pentax. it had 4 or 5 buttons / functionalities. The remote was from Targus, I believe but can't confirm right now.

10-08-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone; I would probably go with the wired one, as space (compared to wireless), doesn't affect my circumstances.
10-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I use this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Vello-RS-C1II-Remote-Switch-Samsung/dp/B007CB58NY

Cheap and has a decently long cord. You can tap it for autofocus, as well as slide the button into position for a bulb exposure (so your thumb doesn't get tired.
10-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is the wired remote I use.

Bower LCD Timer and Remote Shutter Release (Model RCLC1R) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

The intervalometer features were nice on my K10D, but not needed on the K-3 unless I want to to something complicated like programming bursts at interval or a series of exposures for longer than 30s. The real nice thing though is that it can be programmed to do a time exposure of arbitrary length.

Steve
10-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Steve, thanks for that review!