Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-50 vs K-5iis

My last post put the 3 vs 5iis against each other and since then someone recommended the K-50 with a focus on lens investments.
I'm an entry/ intermediate level photographer, but mostly a visual artist investing in a dslr to document my artwork (mostly pencil, charcoal, ink drawings with varied tones of B&W and others are color). The shots will be used to post to web and some small prints most likely nothing larger than 11 x 14 for at least a few years.
I would also be using this investment for portrait photography to reference from later during the drawing process.
Any thoughts would be very helpful from an outstanding community. Thank you for your time!

10-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #2

The K50 should be more than adequate for what you describe and will still give you great options all around.
10-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Why start another thread about the same thing?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/29-welcomes-introductions/275357-k-50-vs-k-5iis.html
10-10-2014, 01:20 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I was told to post this in a more appropriate section in the forum for better responses. So that's what I did.

10-10-2014, 01:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't used either lens, but I wanted to chime in with one bit of advice: Don't be afraid to buy them used. Unless you're planning on taking a massive number of photos, and the previous owner already took a massive number of photos, as long as the prior owner took decent care of the camera, you're not going to run into any issues with the shutter or anything else. And it's a lot cheaper to buy them used than new.

Same goes for lenses, for that matter.

Might be different in a country where the warranty on a new one is 5+ years, but in the US, it's not. I'd rather get something I know has been working for a while for someone else, and hasn't failed than one that may fail as soon as I get it (since most factory defect problems show up pretty quickly). The only bit of gear I've purchased new was the WR flash when it went on sale last black friday.

---------- Post added 10-10-14 at 04:34 PM ----------

So far as lenses go, not that you specifically asked, but given what you've said, it seems like your best option would be a macro lens, maybe the 35mm ltd macro or 50mm macro.

1) You want to photograph your artwork, which is going to be a flat field, and only a macro lens is going to get that sharp corner to corner.

2) You want to do portraits, but only to use them as reference work for your art, which means you're probably going for precise, sharp reproduction and large depth of field, not what one would typically look for in a "portrait" lens.
10-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Both have advantages, look at the specs, see which are important to you. Sounds like you would be using the camera on a tripod all of the time, I would choose the K-50 for focus peaking, which really helps on a tripod, especially with manual lenses, and there are great deals available on the K-50 right now. ($300 less than the K-5IIs at B&H and Adorama)
10-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I faced the same choice and ended up with the K50 and more budget in lenses.

10-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #8

Original Poster
thanks for the feedback guys!
any suggestions for lenses and tripods would be great. Ive posted before and received some decent info then to give some solid ideas to work from.
Currently awaiting an 18-135 wr for my first lens (purchased on the marketplace)
The 35mm macro was the second rec. waiting to find a good used deal here.
The 100mm macro looks great but also searching for some good legacy glass in the market place as well.
Trying to take my time and not rush it.
10-10-2014, 05:30 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Because you get two fights for the price of one.

These comparison threads are a little tiresome since the specs for all models currently available are nicely summarized and published on this site using the comparator.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=k3&c2=k5ii&c3=k50

I would much prefer questions specific to the potential buyer's use cases. In the case of these two cameras, both are incredible values currently on the N. America market and both are very desirable cameras. The points of distinction are obvious from the specs, though the applicability to the OP's usage might not be. The K-50 will do an admirable job of documenting with the live-view focus peaking being a prime feature.

Steve
10-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Since, obviously, shooting in bad weather will not be an issue here, why not also give a look at the K-500 ? It's basically the same camera as the K-50 without the weather proofing.
10-11-2014, 12:18 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Actually any camera will do for what you want , it's the lens and lighting and colour balance you need to pay attention to.
As mentioned a macro will be better ,sometimes, at edge to edge sharpness, but better still is a older full frame telephoto lens as the smaller sensor of any of the Pentax cameras only uses the centre portion thus avoiding any edge softness.
My wife is a framer and I regularly have to photograph clients work. You need to ensure your lighting is even .
I use two studio lights with umberellas at 45 to the art work to avoid glare or reflections.
I use a colour checker pasport to create a profile for each job
I use a old fully manual 100mm m series macro lens but never at close distances
And I process in light room
I should add that if the art work is small enough to fit and not a oil painting I often just scan them on a epson scanner which produces remarkably good reproductions with little very little fiddling with settings.

edit: any tripod and 12 second release and I mount my images on a old music stand , hold in place with non acidic framing mounting tape , which can removed with out damage from the back of the art.
make sure the art work is level and not leaning forward or backwards , use a spirit level,
use the level or live view guides on the camera or if a older one a bubble level that fits in the hot shoe. you can correct of course in LR or PS but its better to get it right first.

Last edited by adwb; 10-11-2014 at 01:15 AM.
12-18-2014, 09:59 AM   #12

This comparison gets more interesting when the price difference is only $100...K 5iis is $496, K-50 is $396 with a 4gb eye fi card.

Then again, the K-5iis is not available in red!!