Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
Pentaxian
seventysixersfan's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,702
Today's Macworld Review of K-50 - FAIL

So many errors in this review, it's not even funny. The biggest error may be using several pictures of the K-30 when they are reviewing the K-50. Just published today too, so this review is a year late:

It just goes to show you that computer tech websites aren't the most accurate for DSLR reviews:

Pentax K-50 review: A decent entry-level DSLR that braves the elements | Macworld

10-14-2014, 11:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,304
Macworld ceased being relevant years ago. About the time Apple told IDG to take a hike over moving the East Cost Macworld Expo back to Boston. They don't even have a print edition anymore. They even canceled the 2015 West Coast expo.
10-14-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,705
For K-50 review, they sure do show a lot of K-30 pictures.
10-14-2014, 11:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian
seventysixersfan's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,702
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
For K-50 review, they sure do show a lot of K-30 pictures.
Yup. Other errors I spotted:

"The K-500 lacks weather sealing and only uses AA batteries." (correct on first part, wrong on second)

"the five-frames-per-second capture speed" (it's 6 fps)

"Images are very noisy after ISO 800" (what?! My K-50 produces great images up to ISO 1600 and very usable ones up to 3200)

"Inside the camera sits a vibration reduction system that counters camera shake and helps to reduce dust on the camera’s sensor. The system works with most Pentax lenses," (I thought in-body SR worked with ALL k-mount lenses, not just "most.")

Oh well, I guess I should just be happy that the Pentax was included in this roundup at all ("5 entry-level DSLRs under $900"-- included Canon T5, T5i, Nikon D3300, and Sony Alpha a58))

10-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,705
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Yup. Other errors I spotted:

"The K-500 lacks weather sealing and only uses AA batteries." (correct on first part, wrong on second)

"the five-frames-per-second capture speed" (it's 6 fps)

"Images are very noisy after ISO 800" (what?! My K-50 produces great images up to ISO 1600 and very usable ones up to 3200)

"Inside the camera sits a vibration reduction system that counters camera shake and helps to reduce dust on the camera’s sensor. The system works with most Pentax lenses," (I thought in-body SR worked with ALL k-mount lenses, not just "most.")

Oh well, I guess I should just be happy that the Pentax was included in this roundup at all ("5 entry-level DSLRs under $900"-- included Canon T5, T5i, Nikon D3300, and Sony Alpha a58))
I didn't even read thru the article, I saw the K-30 photos and bailed.

And anyway, IBIS works with all lenses, even the non-K-mount ones attached via adapter.

As for being happy that Pentax was included at all... meh. Its like baking your own bread and having it used in a comparison of who makes the best sh!t sandwich. I'd rather not be included.

---------- Post added 10-14-14 at 02:31 PM ----------

ISO 4800, cloudy day and a shady spot:

10-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
Senior Member
Undot's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 176
Pfffft, that's some truly horrid grain you got there in the blue bits of the butterfly wing! And you dare post that?

I wonder why anyone would read camera reviews from a computer magazine. Or why they write such at all. Except both of these products being digital there's nothing in common. Way out of their expertise, no? There's other, more generic technology sites that try to cover all, of course, but I try to research at places that specialize in the topic in question.

Haven't read Macworld in ages, though.
10-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,439
So much wrong, so much fail.
10-14-2014, 12:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,304
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
"Inside the camera sits a vibration reduction system that counters camera shake and helps to reduce dust on the camera’s sensor. The system works with most Pentax lenses," (I thought in-body SR worked with ALL k-mount lenses, not just "most.")
It's "most" if you use the OS in Sigma lenses...

10-14-2014, 12:59 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,250
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It's "most" if you use the OS in Sigma lenses...
Which I do since acquiring one last week for use with my K-50 to get around the truly horrid Movie SR
10-14-2014, 01:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,705
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It's "most" if you use the OS in Sigma lenses...
IBIS would still work with the Sigma, just the results might not be so good.

---------- Post added 10-14-14 at 04:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Undot Quote
Pfffft, that's some truly horrid grain you got there in the blue bits of the butterfly wing! And you dare post that?

I wonder why anyone would read camera reviews from a computer magazine. Or why they write such at all. Except both of these products being digital there's nothing in common. Way out of their expertise, no? There's other, more generic technology sites that try to cover all, of course, but I try to research at places that specialize in the topic in question.

Haven't read Macworld in ages, though.
Yeah, most computer sites stink at camera reviews. Mac-centric sites generally stink at reviewing anything other than Apple products... sites dedicated to a specific brand generally do not do well reviewing other brands, because to them different = worse.
10-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,250
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
IBIS would still work with the Sigma, just the results might not be so good.
That makes no sense to me.. Sorry.
Results would be exactly the same as using any non OS lens.
If you want to use IBIS with a lens that has OS, then you must disable the OS on the lens.
10-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,705
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
That makes no sense to me.. Sorry.
Results would be exactly the same as using any non OS lens.
If you want to use IBIS with a lens that has OS, then you must disable the OS on the lens.
boriscleto said, "It's 'most' if you use the OS in Sigma lenses...". That's what I was responding to.

Of course you have to disable the in-lens OS for things to work out well.
10-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,250
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Yeah, most computer sites stink at camera reviews...........Sites dedicated to a specific brand generally do not do well reviewing other brands, because to them different = worse.
I guess computer 'experts' can't be camera enthusiasts/photographers as well - I mean, a person can only have one interest in life, right?
Personally I don't think OB reviewers are quite as biased as you infer..
10-14-2014, 02:35 PM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,705
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I guess computer 'experts' can't be camera enthusiasts/photographers as well - I mean, a person can only have one interest in life, right?
Personally I don't think OB reviewers are quite as biased as you infer..
You're quoting me, but you don't seem to be responding to anything I stated. I said absolutely nothing about "computer 'experts' can't be camera enthusiasts/photographers", nor did I say "a person can only have one interest in life". What I did say is that computer publications generally do a poor job reviewing photo equipment.
10-14-2014, 07:42 PM   #15
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,250
My comments implied that your comments inferred
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, computer, dslr, iso, k-30, k-50, lenses, macworld review, pentax, pentax k30, pentax k50, post, review, review of k-50, reviews, sigma, sites, stink, system
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamron 17-50 zoom fail EarlVonTapia Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 07-21-2014 04:59 PM
K-01 featured in DP Review's "Ten one-of-a-kind cameras from the 21st Century" Quazimoto Pentax K-01 7 09-03-2013 12:37 PM
CNET Review of the K-50/K-500 vapentaxuser Pentax K-30 & K-50 4 07-19-2013 11:41 AM
Nature Best of today's walk normhead Post Your Photos! 9 03-06-2013 07:50 AM
DP Review's review of the K-r is up.... ccd333 Pentax K-r 67 03-20-2011 09:41 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:07 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top